Pandora's Box - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pandora's Box Reviews

July 27, 2011
Fascinating silent melodrama. My only issue is one of slight overlength -- the girl and her entourage flee maybe once too often for my tastes.
½ July 17, 2011
An interesting story which I am ashamed to admit I found too long. Oh dear, probably one to watch again when I can concentrate on this landmark film.
June 23, 2011
Morality play with amazingly frank themes of sexuality (for the 1920s) throughout. I did get lost a few times, but otherwise a good film.
June 19, 2011
WOW! Louise Brooks (whom I never knew about before) shows sexuality and innocence like no one today can, and all without the aid of an audio track. Brilliant direction and fascinating cinematography make this a must see for film lovers that aren't too lazy to pay attention to detail.
½ June 18, 2011
Pandora's Box is a well structured, but for me it's seems very long and to mutch air. It's a story about the prostitute Lulu who struggle the same battle between the male arrogant men who takes advantage of her and ending up as low as possible. Thumbs down.
June 6, 2011
A great movie back then, but difficult for me to appreciate it now.
½ April 29, 2011
The original melodrama. Louise Brooks is sooo sexy.
½ April 22, 2011
An excellent German silent film.
April 3, 2011
Eye Opening for its day, There's no doubt that Lulu (Louise Brooks) is mesmerizing and being a slient movie, you know exactly what emotion she is displaying just with facial expressions. Lulu's fate is down to the fact that the men that she meets are utter bastards who abuse her.
The version i saw had music playing through out the film, but had nothing to do with what was going on the screen, which sucked some of the impact of the film.
April 1, 2011
A movie that was considered shocking at the time of its original release, because of the mention of prostitution, lesbianism, and murder. Hard to believe that Marlene Dietrich almost got the part of Lulu, because Louise Brooks did an amazing job.
March 20, 2011
My personal favorite in the silent film era. Louise Brooks is absolutely breathtaking in her performance. If you're a fan of the silent film genre, I highly recommend this film.
February 7, 2011
Ah, Louise.... A Masterpiece of Silent-Film-Making
February 4, 2011
The most intense film I've seen from the silent era to date. The last gasp of the Roaring Twenties, and final hoorah before the Great Depression, filmed before Hitler and World War II when Germany experienced hyper inflation, this priceless masterpiece of unforgettable, German, cinematic Art featured American actress Louise Brooks' in her immotalizing performance and moment of stardom.
January 19, 2011
Moody, relatively bleak, relatively risque.
November 27, 2010
An hypnotic lasting masterpiece from G.W. Pabst about a flower girl who becomes protegee-then wife-of editor,with bizarre and unexpected consequences. Louise Brooks is beautiful beyond words,her face will stay frame in your memory for a lifetime,and she's the main reason the film is remembered. She's such a powerful and sexual presence,the definitive gamine vamp,modeling a sharp-banged bobbed haircut known as a "Louise Brooks" or Lulu to this day. Besides that,the film is cinema's first insight into the mindset of a serial killer,two years before Fritz Lang's German thriller "M". In this case,Jack the Ripper! An unforgettable film of breathtaking beauty,one of the most revered and glorious one from the golden silent era! One-of--a-kind wonder that you really need to see!!!!!!
½ November 21, 2010
There is no Garbo, there is no Dietrich, there is only Louise Brooks!
November 10, 2010
Louise Brooks changed acting-for-film in a way that no one else could. She is phenomenal.
November 2, 2010
Pandora's Box is a difficult movie to love: it does not have a single likeable character. Plenty of interesting ones - yes - all of whom are strange, insecure, passive-aggressive sex/love (this film sort of blurs the boundaries there...)-crazed twits or crooks or something in between. There's Lulu (Louise Brooks), a femme fatale-in-training afflicted with a remarkable degree of irresponsibility and naiveté, her sugar daddy Dr. Schon, who never leaves the house without taking his unresolved sexual repressions with him, Dr. Schon's gutless son-sans-a-backbone, a closeted Countess, Lulu's alcoholic father who believes his daughter's status as a kept woman is an achievement, and a host of rancid criminals who, not standing a chance for Lulu's affections, come to treat her as merchandise.

The main character, of course, is passion. Everybody in this film wants to shag Lulu, except for the aforementioned criminals and Lulu's father, who want to sell her to those who want to shag her. The tide of desire sweeps her up; she is too vain to resist it yet too weak to turn it to her advantage; it all ends badly for nearly everyone involved.

Cinematography is good, though not groundbreaking, Brooks's acting passes the mark, and I quite liked the sets: minimalist visually, designed to spec for black and white photography, functional, unobtrusive. However, the highest score (no pun intended), goes to the music. The screening at BFI Southbank was accompanied by live piano, which was, simply put, brilliant. Neil Brand's music was what made Pandora's Box a great cinema experience; it rose and fell to amplify rather than anticipate emotion; I wish modern filmmaking took a note of this.
½ October 26, 2010
Zuallererst vielleicht ein Meilenstein des Schauspielerkinos: Pabst setzt seine "Lulu" Louise Brooks nicht nur perfekt selbst ins Bild, er arbeitet ihren zurĂ 1/4ckgenommen, eher naturalistischen Darstellungsstil noch stärker heraus, indem er ihn mit dem exaltierteren Spiel der anderen Schauspieler, die eher den Konventionen des Stummfilms verhaftet erscheinen, kontrastiert. Im letzten Akt des Films schlieĂlich wechselt Pabst auf brillante Weise die Register und lässt seine Heldin, nachdem er lang und ausfĂ 1/4hrlich ihren Niedergang in Armut und Einsamkeit verfolgt hat, durch die Hand von Jack The Ripper sterben. Wie hier die gesamte Atmosphäre dieses ohnehin hochstilisierten Filmes von den ersten Nebelwallungen an von Tod durchzogen ist: unvergesslich.