Pandora's Box - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pandora's Box Reviews

September 17, 2011
Looks really, REALLY cool!
½ August 28, 2011
It's sexy, and the roaring twenties setting is beautiful, but it was a bit too melodramatic for my tastes.
ElCochran90
August 17, 2011
Pabst himself was ahead of his time. Louise Brooks plays a strikingly gorgeous, yet desperately manipulative young woman who, at some extent, can control the environment around her and shape the actions of men and the lives of women against their wills. Even if this expertly shot masterpiece brought in the end moral consequences, terrible for the immoral personas, ethical standards were challenged by that time, and Brooks acquired a cult femme fatale status. Even today, people who can see boring simplicity in silent features will be surprised by how intricate and developed this pre-Hitchcock crime/drama legend actually is.

99/100
July 27, 2011
Fascinating silent melodrama. My only issue is one of slight overlength -- the girl and her entourage flee maybe once too often for my tastes.
½ July 17, 2011
An interesting story which I am ashamed to admit I found too long. Oh dear, probably one to watch again when I can concentrate on this landmark film.
June 23, 2011
Morality play with amazingly frank themes of sexuality (for the 1920s) throughout. I did get lost a few times, but otherwise a good film.
June 19, 2011
WOW! Louise Brooks (whom I never knew about before) shows sexuality and innocence like no one today can, and all without the aid of an audio track. Brilliant direction and fascinating cinematography make this a must see for film lovers that aren't too lazy to pay attention to detail.
½ June 18, 2011
Pandora's Box is a well structured, but for me it's seems very long and to mutch air. It's a story about the prostitute Lulu who struggle the same battle between the male arrogant men who takes advantage of her and ending up as low as possible. Thumbs down.
June 6, 2011
A great movie back then, but difficult for me to appreciate it now.
½ April 29, 2011
The original melodrama. Louise Brooks is sooo sexy.
½ April 22, 2011
An excellent German silent film.
April 3, 2011
Eye Opening for its day, There's no doubt that Lulu (Louise Brooks) is mesmerizing and being a slient movie, you know exactly what emotion she is displaying just with facial expressions. Lulu's fate is down to the fact that the men that she meets are utter bastards who abuse her.
The version i saw had music playing through out the film, but had nothing to do with what was going on the screen, which sucked some of the impact of the film.
April 1, 2011
A movie that was considered shocking at the time of its original release, because of the mention of prostitution, lesbianism, and murder. Hard to believe that Marlene Dietrich almost got the part of Lulu, because Louise Brooks did an amazing job.
March 20, 2011
My personal favorite in the silent film era. Louise Brooks is absolutely breathtaking in her performance. If you're a fan of the silent film genre, I highly recommend this film.
February 7, 2011
Ah, Louise.... A Masterpiece of Silent-Film-Making
February 4, 2011
The most intense film I've seen from the silent era to date. The last gasp of the Roaring Twenties, and final hoorah before the Great Depression, filmed before Hitler and World War II when Germany experienced hyper inflation, this priceless masterpiece of unforgettable, German, cinematic Art featured American actress Louise Brooks' in her immotalizing performance and moment of stardom.
January 19, 2011
Moody, relatively bleak, relatively risque.
November 27, 2010
An hypnotic lasting masterpiece from G.W. Pabst about a flower girl who becomes protegee-then wife-of editor,with bizarre and unexpected consequences. Louise Brooks is beautiful beyond words,her face will stay frame in your memory for a lifetime,and she's the main reason the film is remembered. She's such a powerful and sexual presence,the definitive gamine vamp,modeling a sharp-banged bobbed haircut known as a "Louise Brooks" or Lulu to this day. Besides that,the film is cinema's first insight into the mindset of a serial killer,two years before Fritz Lang's German thriller "M". In this case,Jack the Ripper! An unforgettable film of breathtaking beauty,one of the most revered and glorious one from the golden silent era! One-of--a-kind wonder that you really need to see!!!!!!
½ November 21, 2010
There is no Garbo, there is no Dietrich, there is only Louise Brooks!