Pandora's Promise - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pandora's Promise Reviews

March 23, 2017
I consider this to be a "must see" landmark film exploring the most important issue we face today: obtaining clean sustainable energy; enough to make a difference in the need to drastically reduce our carbon emissions.

This documentary made by a former anti-nuclear advocate; a person who has previously made anti-nuclear films. Following his learning experiences and those of other former anti-nuclear environmentals as they reflect on their personal quest for the truth when examining the evidence of Chernobyl, Fukushima and other events that have shaped societal concerns about this important subject, makes for a fascinating veiwing that held my attention throughtout the film!
March 23, 2017
The power of pragmatism and what it means when you can throw off the chains of dogma. We can save the climate while bringing people out of poverty. We have been pretending for too long that wind and solar are up to the task of providing energy for the world. It's time to embrace nuclear, the single safest and cleanest energy source in the world.
February 26, 2017
An interesting and well made documentary providing what seems to be a rational pro argument for nuclear power. I think it's definitely a good addition to the conversations we need to be having about energy production in the world. But I also think it's a little too one-sided like many of the anti-coal, anti- fossil fuel, pro renewable resource docs.

For me, my biggest concern is that we try to find a way to live and consume and produce energy that has no short term or long term negative effects, or extreme risks. I believe it's possible, if we prioritize it and focus on it. Nuclear might be one piece of the solution, but so is solar, wind, thermal, natural gas, and other ideas we maybe don't even know about yet.
½ August 6, 2016
Imagine you begin filming a documentary, and suddenly an event causes the subject of your documentary to become international news - filled with negative connotations. What do you do? This experienced documentarian made the events of the Tohukô earthquake and tsunami, and the self-searching of all involved, a part of this film. I think his gamble worked out quite well.

The best viewpoint of this doc is Mr. Stone's own voice in the Director's Commentary. Just be open to allowing your own opinions be swayed when emotions become confronted by facts.
½ July 16, 2016
If You're Not Shocked By This, You Really Haven't Thought Long & Hard About Alternative Energy. I Knew A Lot Already, But This Doco Still Surprised Me, With It's Narrative Being Incredibly Confronting But Also A Poignant Question Humanity Will One Day Need To Answer, How Much Longer Can We Utilise Coal, Gas & Oil In Place Of The Number One Clean, Infinite Energy. One Finger Nails Worth Of Plutonium Equates To 150,000 Barrels Of Oil In Energy Output.. But Unfortunately, That Energy Also Has Great Responsibility That Must Be Adhered Too. That Is The Big Sting In The Uranium Atom-Splitting Tail.
February 10, 2016
I was glad for this documentary. There was lots in there that backed up many things I already thought or learned. Nuclear isn't the boogie man that it's purported to be. It's far from perfect. But the fastest way off of coal & oil is through nuclear. Even with disaster, it still cause way less harm than fossil fuels. I'm going to have to watch this one again. I'm fascinated with the topic.
October 10, 2015
This is a good summary of the state of things, but there's not enough information to convince anyone who's not already in favor of nuclear energy. The ignorance surrounding nuclear power is vast, and this unfortunately doesn't do much to dispel it...
August 19, 2015
Probably the most important documentary to come out in the past two decades. Even if you are someone who is anti-nuclear power, this will at least open up your perception of what you believe. Remember: if you can't even listen to or respond to your antithesis, then you're just projecting your insecurity of your own opinion.
January 27, 2015
Interesante punto de vista a favor de la energĂ­a nuclear, explicado y detallado por ex-activistas antinucleares.
½ January 8, 2015
Suosittelen, varsinkin energiantuotannosta kiinnostuneille.
December 19, 2014
An eye-opening look at the hard science of nuclear power which will likely upset some of your current convictions about it. Very worth watching.
November 2, 2014
Diferent point of view about nuclear energy. Good part compares all kinds of energy and the miths about nuclear energy. Suspicious part: the speach is all good!
September 26, 2014
Views like a propaganda film rather than an actual investigation. Very hard to trust any information given. Maybe everything is true - but how am I supposed to know when only one side is shown?
August 27, 2014
A case PRO Nuclear Energy : It argues this is the main alternative to fossil energy and dismisses an all renewable solution as an illusion.
½ August 25, 2014
In retrospect, I view this as a pro-nuclear perspective doco, rather than entirely without bias. Lynas' move from anti- to pro-nuclear is interesting, composite footage of Caldicott is cringeworthy. To be viewed as part of a larger picture. A special highlight for me - the aesthetically pleasing footage of abandoned power plants.
August 16, 2014
slow at points but sobering subject.
June 28, 2014
Shifting the nuclear energy conversation for a high energy consuming and soon-to-double world population.
½ June 25, 2014
Very strong (and a little bit manipulative) pro-nuclear message with solid supporting scientific arguments but not dramatic enough to convince the larger public, I suppose, especially when the filmmakers are so nice that they tried to avoid demonizing the (often stupid) environmentalists and their nonsense arguments. A very good goodwill messenger for nuclear power but still far from a persuasive one.
June 25, 2014
Pandora's Promise was pretty good. However, for a movie with such a direct message, there was no call to action which made it feel like a missed opportunity.
June 24, 2014
A well-produced, informative film that leaves you just shy of wondering if it's been paid for by the Nuclear Energy Industry itself.