Paparazzi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paparazzi Reviews

October 23, 2015
i Describe this movie in one Word: STUPID
July 29, 2015
Does not work on any level.
½ May 20, 2015
It's a surprise that this was even released by Fox. There are straight to DVD titles that are better than this.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Okey movie about paparazzis and they sure can make annoying things. Nice story and pretty good actors in this one.
October 1, 2014
Mad-Melin tuottama paparazzien kyykytysfantasia! Elokuvan paparazzit ovat niin yksiulotteisesti saastoja että ei voi kun nauraa. Levoton leffa! :D
½ June 4, 2014
I have been reading some critic reviews but the length some of these paparazzi's go to only motivates someone to make movies like these..
December 29, 2013
Provoking, but boring, boring, boring, boring and questionable in everything. Ouch.
December 26, 2013
Surprisingly good movie. Great style, nicely made, and great performances from Hauser and Sizemore.
½ December 18, 2013
I found myself getting emotionally invested early on in "Paparazzi", but in the end I was disappointed by how shallow it all was. The plot follows a rising action star named Bo Laramie (Cole Hauser) being harassed by paparazzi photographers. These slimeballs, Rex (Tom Sizemore), Wendell (Daniel Baldwin), Leonard (Tom Hollander) and Kevin (Kevin Gage) harass the actor and his family until Bo has had enough. After a creepy encounter where Rex is shooting pictures of Bo's young son Zach (Blake Bryan), Bo punches him in the face and is caught on camera. After an expensive lawsuit, it's become personal. Bo and the photographers start taking personal jabs at each other until disaster strikes. While being harassed by the paparazzi, Bo and his family get into a severe car crash. Bo's wife Abby (Robin Tunney) is left seriously injured and their son is now in a coma, while the people responsible for the accident gleefully take pictures to sell to the highest bidder. When Bo accidentally causes one of the photographers to wipe out on his motorcycle and fall to his death, he realizes that he might just get satisfaction for the pain that's been thrust upon him by killing the people responsible!
Despite this really nutty premise, the film really isn't what you would expect from one of these revenge fantasies. At first, you think it's going to deliver in the same way that such classics of the genre like "Commando" or "Taken" do because the antagonists are evil to a cartoonish level. They're snapping pictures of the couple during intimate moments, they're blackmailing people, they're drug users, they are tied into all sorts of illegal business, they're slimy when it comes to picking up chicks and one of them is a rapist too. Basically, you wouldn't shed a tear if these guys found themselves dead. So in most of these movies, the hero gets wronged and suffers a great tragedy. He then goes about against the justice system that has failed him and gets satisfaction by either pumping the evildoers full of lead or (even better) giving them ironic deaths, much to the audience's satisfaction. That's basically what's going on here, but the tragedy, it isn't that tragic. Well, it should be because we've got a young boy in a coma and a wife that's scarred for life, but the movie is so over-the-top when it comes to the photographers that you can never take it seriously. As for the revenge aspect, well you can never quite cheer for Bo. I mean sure he gets his revenge, but it's never really satisfying. A frame-up here, an accidental death there. There's one kill that is actually quite disturbing when you think of it too much and you really start losing sympathy for the guy. Sure, the movie paints it as a nice, quick and clean kill but you just know that in real life, beating someone with a blunt object, to death nonetheless is pretty horrific. You start cheering for the cop that's investigating these suspicious looking deaths because you just want to see everyone involved thrown in jail (but he's either related to inspector Clouseau or secretly approves of the killings because he's not very good at it). The actions in the film just don't feel justified and it isn't dramatic enough or exploitation-y enough to satisfy.
As I wrote earlier at first the movie was emotionally effective and I did find myself invested in the story but as it went on, I found myself caring less and less. You'll get more enjoyment out of the cameos by celebrities (hey, check it out, it's Matthew McConaughey playing himself!) than the story. Particularly entertaining/ironic is Mel Gibson (who produced the film), who can be seen waiting to go to anger management class. "Paparazzi" doesn't have any real insights into the world of cheap tabloids and as a revenge fantasy, it's not particularly inspired either. Skip this one. (On Dvd, December 12, 2013)
December 16, 2013
fantastic piece of work. I'm surprised there aren't more movies like this dealing with absolute garbage of the earth like paparazzi and tabloid junkies.
½ November 1, 2013
From the mind of Mel Gibson comes the sleaziness of paparazzi photography that devolves into a grade-B thriller fantasy that Russell Crowe would be proud of and it helps that Cole Hauser's charisma makes for cheap, fun entertainment. B.
½ September 9, 2013
Incredibly ludacris plot about an up and coming action star forced to take the law in his own hands against a group of stalkerazzi...the only thing this movie does have is an interesting set of cameos.
½ September 7, 2013
Paparazzi is a disappointing film. It is about a rising Hollywood actor who decides to take personal revenge against a group of four persistent photographers to make them pay for almost causing a personal tragedy involving his wife and son. Cole Hauser and Robin Tunney give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Paul Abascal did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
September 6, 2013
This is truly one of the worst movies i've ever seen in my life. It's right up there with Twilight New Moon and Avatar. But at least I knew New Moon was gonna suck so I wasn't expecting anything great! With such a star-studded cast like this, it really should have been much better! it's actually frustrating. There was really barely an actor in there that I didn't recognise. I like Tom Sizemore and Dennis Farina and even they couldn't help make the movie good...but i had no idea who Cole Hauser was. I felt no emotion for the characters, the film starts and we know Bo's (Hauser) life is great because he's a famous actor and stuff but then 10 minutes later: his life is ruined. The film took no time in doing anything and I don't think there was a scene that lasted two minutes. It's 80 minutes long! they should have taken their time and convey the stories and characters in a smart way instead of spitting the movie at the audience....they should have at least released a Director's cut or something...or keep the deleted scenes.
½ June 22, 2013
I like revenge flicks so I probably enjoyed this more then most people would.
June 8, 2013
Adrenaline Ride throughout the whole movie! Enjoyed it! Definitely deserves a much higher rating
TheDudeLebowski65
March 18, 2013
Paparazzi is an awful action revenge thriller that lacks anything truly interesting. The film has a poor cast, a poorly written script, wooden performances and direction from a director that can't seem to craft something good with his ideas. I really expected something good with this one, but I was really let down. The film had a promising start, but it started to come apart in the middle and by the end, it was laughably bad. The performances are horrible, and the film is filled with clichés. This is the perfect example of a film that could have been much better if the script would have been rewritten and revised a few times. This is a letdown, and if you're expecting something good, fun and original, you'll be sadly disappointed. Watch something else, as this one is definitely not worth your time. The film tries too hard at being revolutionary and trying something new, but it fails to deliver anything of note and it just ends up being a big waste of time. Paparazzi is simply put, a poorly crafted film that lacked in every sense of the word. Watch something else as this one doesn't provide you with anything worthwhile to watch. In the revenge genre, there have been far better movies than this one. Paparazzi just doesn't cut it, due to its stupid, poorly constructed script, and painful performances. As a whole, this is a very forgettable revenge film that you definitely should avoid if you love the genre. Watch Law Abiding Citizen, the original Straw Dogs or any other genre film, and avoid this painful trash that just relies on previous ideas from other better films to create its lackluster thrills.
March 8, 2013
i've tried to see it but i can't. it seems so cheap, or stupid i really don't know what
½ March 5, 2013
Completely unsympathetic characters is all I remember about this turkey.
½ January 22, 2013
Cole Hauser vs. Columbo? A TRUE guilty-pleasure in every sense of the word. I will always watch it when it shows up on TV.