The Paper - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Paper Reviews

blkbomb
August 31, 2013
Bernie: Well, you're in management now. If everybody loved you, you'd be doing something wrong.

"A behind-the-line look at work, marriage, and other forms of combat."

The Paper is a decent workplace, comedy/drama from Ron Howard that features a long and impressive cast. While this movie doesn't quite leap off the screen at you, it was still pretty good in it's own right. Normally Ron Howard tends to be pretty hit and miss, and with this one, it's right on the edge of being either hit or miss. It's not good enough to call it a clear success, but it is good enough to say that he didn't miss.

Henry is an editor at the New York Sun newspaper and he has a busy day ahead of him. He has an interview at the Sentinel, which is offering him a job that would pay more. He also is trying figure out how to put together a worthy cover story after missing on yesterday's. He has to fight time, a pregnant wife, a colleague, and still manage to get the paper out on time and make sure he's running the correct story.

While The Paper may come off as just another dull and unexciting workplace movie, I somehow found just enough enjoyment from it. It had just enough funny and smart parts to make up for a lot of dull and boring parts. The movie kind of plays like a lesser and lighter form of Broadcast News.

I'm gonna give this one a mild recommendation. The movie is most worth it for the cast. Although no one is giving one of the best performances of their careers, this huge and star studded cast makes seeing this movie worth it. Michael Keaton, Robert Duvall, Marisa Tomei, Glenn Close, Randy Quaid, and many more faces you'll be sure to recognize.
April 21, 2013
A movie filled with big names, The Paper is a fine example of a film that hadn't lost sight of the clever humor and charm that the screenwriters and brothers, David and Steven Koepp, had so skillfully devised.
½ April 2, 2013
One of Ron Howard's most forgettable films.
March 19, 2013
Quick paced and energetic. Premise: life in a newsroom, and more specifically an editor. Boring and annoying, right? Wrong. This movie was actually pretty good and humorous. However, the last 15 min felt bizarre and out of place.
March 17, 2013
A clever, fast-paced tribute to the best of tabloid journalism - and the best of journalism. Captures the old-school newsroom perfectly.
February 10, 2013
good drama about the news papers of NYC trying to get the right story out and those who work there... a good ensemble cast but not much more
January 26, 2013
Henry Hackett is a newspaper reporter who works for the sun.
He gets the chance to work at another newspaper place called the sentinel who is an upscale paper while his wife who use to be a newspaper reporter too is at home and is pregnant. But he Is stuck at What job he wants because he enjoys the adrenaline rush reporting of the sun. At the same time two black kids who just walked by a car that had two murdered guys in it are accused of the murder and Henry and his crew go out and look for evidence that the two guys are innocent. On top of this drama there us more because the top editor has cancer and the other editor learns why she is not popular because of her personality and among other things. For one thing I can say is wow what a great cast. You got Robert Duvall, Michael Keaton, Glenn close, Marisa tomei, randy quaid, and Catherine O'hara. Michael keaton who I am a big fan of and really enjoy his movies is really funny. Everyone was fun and all the characters capture your interest. It is a very funny comedy.This is the most fun you will have at watching a movie.
December 7, 2012
Could be worthwhile, will see.
½ November 14, 2012
If you're going to take the unrealistic route into the news business, at least make it entertaining - the cast was rock solid, though.
September 30, 2012
En solid filmupplevelse, med utmärkta skådespelare och rappt manus.
August 31, 2012
Beautifully written and superbly directed. Has an amazing cast, with Keaton delivery a performance when he was top of his game. The editing of this film has to get a special mention too... it's super slick! :-)
July 10, 2012
Awesome! Classic Michael Keaton in his prime. Great story line, excellent ensemble cast!
½ July 10, 2012
It's an enjoyable movie, not rolling-over-laughing funny but a good comedy. It's a lot better to relate to the characters if you've worked in a newsroom before.
June 1, 2012
I like the loose jumble of jokes (even when they're profane/unfunny) and drama (even when it's confusing/overstuffed), the cranky chaos of a workplace, the cool verisimilitude of mid-'90s NYC, but I don't like the simplistic conclusions nor Glenn Close's petrified face.
April 15, 2012
Excellent star-packed ensemble cast led by Michael Keaton in top form here. A great story, masterfully executed by Ron Howard. One from my top 10 of the 1990's ~ @thestaticisland
April 7, 2012
Michael Keaton does well as a '30s-screwball-newspaper-comedy-esque hero; however, the movie lacks a compelling story or any really good jokes. Also, it asks us to laugh at/hate Glenn Close, and I refuse to do that--no matter how confusingly ugly her '90s clothes are and how mean the hair and makeup artist treated her.
½ March 21, 2012
Better than average "day in the life" film about reporters in New York City.
March 1, 2012
One of my favourite films that once again no one has seen. Track this gem down and see it asap.
½ January 28, 2012
The Paper ended up being much better than I thought. It takes a boring subject like news and made it interesting and also showed me the inside work of a newspaper, but its also at times very weird and does not realize what it is.