The Paper Chase Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

The best inspiring movie ever made!

The best inspiring movie ever made!

• Jul 27, 2018

Not incredibly rewatchable--dry. Well-written and -acted. Great message for ALL students of modern education. A highly recommendable watch for high schoolers and college freshmen.

• Oct 16, 2017

John Houseman gives a tremendous performance as a law school professor who is at times forbidding, aloof, humourous, cruel, and collegial in this campus film about the pressure cooker that is Harvard Law School. It's autumnal, academic, and wintry with great music from John Williams.

• Jun 04, 2017

Wonderful performances. A film about the learning process, critical thinking skills, relationships and the growing up one does during college years. And I don't agree with some of the comments about the end being 'odd'. The end is a perfect culmination of what the main character has been building up to. Confidence in his academic abilities and readiness for MORE challenges in the coming year.

• Apr 04, 2017

"The Paper Chase" has a sharp script with plenty of smart dialogue, but what stood out most to me about this college years drama was the impenetrable supporting performance by John Houseman.

• Sep 22, 2016

Want to know how law school is? Well here you go.

Want to know how law school is? Well here you go.

• Sep 15, 2016

Saw it in theater when came out. Has a special place in my romantic memory, because of associations, who i saw it with, etc.but i don't recall that it was itself so good. John Houseman was classic. He 'earrrnnnnnd it'. Lindsay Wagner was hot, and was so long after this. There were several similar movies in the late 60s, early 70s. Very evocative of a young love. 'Love Story' was notorious. 'Goodbye, Columbus' was another one.

• Aug 18, 2016

An intelligent romantic drama, THE PAPER CHASE is worth seeing just for the brilliant John Houseman performance. I enjoyed it.

• Jul 09, 2016

A really good film about law school, but in reality it's more of a film about life than being a 1L at Harvard Law. The film essentially ends up being about one person's admiration for another. In this case, the film is about the respect that Hart has for his Contracts professor. I could really relate to the film, because I went to law school in Massachusetts. The film also analyzes very well the ruthlessness of first year law school & how people are out for themselves & how romantic relationships usually don't work in the 1st year. Grades to a certain degree are luck. The film was edgy for its times & still is a classic today. All lawyer "wannabees" & 1st year law students should see it. A much better film than "Legally Blonde" in my view.

• May 23, 2016

a love story (with The Bionic Woman, no less) set at Harvard in the 1970s you think would have aged better than this. But John Housman is still beautiful.