Paper Dolls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paper Dolls Reviews

½ March 15, 2010
The topic has much potential, but the low budget doc never really convinces you to care for any of the individuals. A number of worthwhile topics are brought up but then never explored. There are probably only about 10 minutes of decent story in this film.
½ September 1, 2008
Documentary, concerning gay effeminate men who imigrated to Israel as health care workers. They started a drag troop called Paper Dolls, thus the title of the movie. At times this is appealing but not enough for one to really care of their plight.
July 18, 2008
I kept falling asleep. I was just too tired. It was interesting, but I didn't want to try to watch for the third time. You should learn something from everything you do, and this movie taught me that there are gay pride parades in Israel. Now the only thing I really know about Israel. Other than that it is full of Jews. I knew that.
½ July 12, 2008
The dreaded three-and-a-half stars. I liked it, and there were nice moments, but it needed to be a bit more focused.
May 9, 2008
This documentary had tremendous potential but failed to live up to it primarily because there were two directions it could go and it straddled both thus, doing neither full justice.
In 2000, in response to the second intifada, Israel close its borders to all Palestinian workers and soon the parliament passed a resolution to allow foreign workers to replace the Palestinians working in jobs Israelis did not want. This film follows the lives of one such group of migrant workers who are from the Philippines. This groups of individuals are physically male but psychologically female. In their spare time they perform as a "lady-boy" troupe called Paper Dolls.
The story starts as an exposition on the lives of a few members of the Paper Dolls who work as nurses or live-in nurses for older Israeli men. About a third of the way through, the movie becomes about the issue of immigration and how more developed countries allow in people from other countries and use them but give back nothing in return to secure the futures of the workers. I loved this part of the documentary more as it was the crux of the story, however, it came around too late.
One day you are needed and working to earn pay and the next day you become "illegal" because your visa is withdrawn. All your rights (even the right to receive a gift of a yogurt drink from a visiting friend) are gone and you are herded into detention centers like cattle to be transported to slaughter. In one telling frame in the documentary, a member of the Paper Dolls shows Heymann a newspaper article about the proposal to expand or build some airport (Tel Aviv?) using migrant workers who will be housed in an enclosed and secure camp city. The Paper Doll member says, does this not look like what the Nazis built for Jews?
½ January 25, 2008
An outstanding film with extraordinary story. Splendid plot even though the movie lacks funds but they were able to keep up with the rest of the best movie in Hollywood. Good job Guys! Overseas working filipinos are really the present heroes of today.
½ December 20, 2007
The documentary Paper Dolls reveals a subculture unknown to many. The film follows five illegal Filipino immigrants living in Tel Aviv, Israel. Cross-dressers, these men have fled unwelcoming families and found acceptance from the elderly people they spend their days caring for.
½ November 6, 2007
really interesting contrast. i missed that in the israeli festival in chicago few days ago but got it on netflix. it's nice (and affective) the way tomer cares about them. it's a beautiful (yet sad) doc. nice theme song btw. tomer is a piece of man lol
October 16, 2007
it's so sad story, but true and beatiful...
½ August 12, 2007
Touching doc about the new emerging queer lives in current realities of globalization.