Paperhouse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paperhouse Reviews

May 20, 2016
A film full of fantasy and surprises.
½ October 30, 2015
One of the best movies in this genre you've never heard of. Milks our frustration with real tension and is totally creepy without anyone getting anything chopped off.
½ February 23, 2015
Saw this movie on IFC. I did not care about the characters even a little.
½ February 8, 2015
A bizarre, moving and enthralling experience like no other that looks and sounds amazing for a British film made in the 1980s
½ February 7, 2015
Well worth tracking down. A family film that may not be for SMALL children, but will definitely challenge and perhaps even inspire.
½ December 2, 2014
An initially creepy premise is not adequately built upon leaving a very unsatisfying ending
½ May 17, 2014
Haunting and vivid, at some moments downright creepy. Its a powerful dreamscape about the captive imagination of a young, lonely girl.
March 26, 2014
Too frightening and dreary for children and not frightening and dreary enough for adults. However it's storyline is original and stumbles upon the atmosphere we'd later read and see with "Lovely Bones". It's kind of a much darker "Drop Dead Fred" in a way, minus the genius humor of Rik Mayall.
½ March 15, 2014
Dark, psychologically rich, evocative of childhood fever dreams and fantasies in a way I haven't experienced in a long time. Much of the protag's dialogue is dubbed, which contributes to the dreamy, surreal feel of the film rather than detracting from it. The art design is fabulous and fits in perfectly with the vaguely menacing, bleak moors where Anna dreams. In fact, it probably captures dreaming on a level I've only ever seen in The Science of Sleep (I usually hate movie dream sequences, so if Paperhouse had been done a bit less artfully, I would have hated it; half of the film takes place in Anna's dreams). While it's not as dangerous and therefore not as frightening as more conventional horror movies, it's certainly not afraid to play with hostility, abuse, fear, and mortal peril.
½ March 12, 2014
Alliteratively, it's a bizarre but beautiful buried treasure by Bernard Rose. Silent Hill for kids? But really, this movie would have scared the fuck outta me if I'd watched as a kid. This is the sort of concept that would have turned into a complete disaster in the wrong hands (a Neil Gaiman adaptation or two come to mind). Lucky for us, Rose is a fabulously imaginative and literate director. Paperhouse deserves better than complete obscurity.
½ March 11, 2014
Conceptual chiller that takes place in a dreamland, but it's well directed and the relatively slow pace matters little because of it.
½ January 16, 2014
Another one of those films that turns up on virtually any list of little seen horror/cult movies, this was something I was happy to finally grab on cable to watch at my leisure.

A young girl enters a strange world of her imagination, where she can create her own reality, but the drawings she makes take on disturbing lives of their own.

Rental?
December 24, 2013
A real sleeper: charming, scary, enthralling,
December 23, 2013
Anna, I know you are a girl..but it took the first half of the movie before I could actually confirm it. But that is besides the point..I just had to get that off my..chest. Really interesting concept of a drawing turning to reality or a dream or whatever fantasy she was in..but it felt unfinished. I feel like there was something missing the whole time. I enjoyed the idea of this movie on paper (pun intended) but seeing it in motion just didnt quite do it for me..Also the soundtrack felt like they ripped it straight from A Nightmare On Elm Street. Gotta love the 80's. MAAAAAARRRKKKKKKKKK! MAAARRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKK! Please. for the love of Pete. Stop shouting Mark.
½ December 18, 2013
I think this could be a great movie at the time.
December 15, 2013
I loved this movie I hope it be available soon.
December 1, 2013
The thinking person's Nightmare on Elm Street? No! I don't get the comparison... Not bad, but this could pass for a children's movie if not for a couple of scenes.
October 20, 2013
This Charming, Mildly Scary, Enthralling Brit Fantasy Horror Is A Piece Of Escapism That Works Excellently. all Based Round An 11 Year Old Girl, Who Becomes I'll After Drawing A House. She Then Escapes Into The World Of Her Drawings Which start Out Innocent & Soon Becomes Nightmares. An Excellent Piece Of Cinema Where Escapism Is The Main Focus And Its Used Very Effectively. A Nice Piece Of Cinema If Your Wanting Something Mild Mannerd With A Touch Of Terror.
½ July 31, 2013
A charming a little film with darker elements that is visually memorable but does not go over board with the special effects. It's a surreal if not somewhat bleak walk through the dreams, wishes, and fears of children and a well acted atmospheric one at that. It has also aged quite well.
July 28, 2013
A dark and interesting fantasy horror about a young girl who begins to experience feverish dreams about a house she has drawn.