Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory Reviews

December 14, 2012
I watched the first 2 and have to watch the last one!
½ December 5, 2012
It's pretty flawed and didn't keep my complete interest but raised a lot of questions and found myself thinking about it a while after I finished it.
November 15, 2012
This case and the three documentaries that accompany it are amazing and shocking. To think 3 innocent men were kept in fail while proclaiming their innocence were then let out because they proclaimed their guilt. Thats white trash west memphis justice for you. Stay out of the Bible-belt people.
½ October 28, 2012
Finally got around to watching this. Paradise Lost is my favorite doc of all time. This story never ceases to infuriate, terrify & sadden me. It's a constant reminder of how religion corrupts everything and even more proof that America's superiority complex is completely unwarranted. I'm glad they are free, but without exoneration & retribution, it's all rather bittersweet.
October 27, 2012
Excelente conclusión. No pude haber quedado más satisfecho.
October 24, 2012
A better trilogy than Star Wars and the Lord of the Rings combined.
October 20, 2012
One of the most haunting, powerful documentaries I've ever seen.
½ October 20, 2012
"Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" takes its name from a point in time where the West Memphis Three case was in limbo or purgatory. The documentary spends 45 minutes recapping the events of the first two documentaries, then works arounf the details developed in present day. We get well conducted interviews with all three men again, and we see how greatly their personalities and attitudes have changed towards the world around them. "Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory" marks the end to what could very well be some of the greatest, deepest, most personal and up close documentaries ever captured on film. "Paradise Lost" isn't only focusing on a largely unfair case, but it is showing the dangers and horrors of a biased system during a serious trial.
½ October 17, 2012
Lots of rehashing from the first two,
½ September 27, 2012
A highly engaging and powerful documentary.
½ September 24, 2012
This is an amazing, horrifying story of three teenage boys falsely accused and convicted of murdering 3 seven year boys in West Memphis, Arkansas. It is a revealing and potent portrayal of the failure of our justice system which very nearly lead to the execution of a totally innocent person. Well directed and moving.
September 10, 2012
The boys...who are now men are FINALLY free. Has way more information about the original trial that the other documentaries didn't show. Still a heartbreaking conclusion pleading guilty while maintaining their innocence. Must see...but you need to watch all 3. WM3 are FREE!
September 3, 2012
There is a scene in this film in which some family members are interviewed, and they say that they don't care about new evidence in the case, that they believe in the Law and if The Law says the West Memphis Three ate guilty, then they are guilty.

And this, in a nutshell is what infuriates me about a certain segment of American society. I fail to grasp how people can be so intellectually lazy, choosing to believe patently absurd bullshit because some preacher or politician or their daddy said so, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

The same superstitious absurdities have ended up with people burned at the stake, with people, even the media, believing wild claims of devil worshipping cults who engage in mass murder and child sexual abuse, when the plain fact is that most perpetrators are your preacher, your politician or your daddy.
½ September 3, 2012
About as perfect as the previous 2.
½ September 1, 2012
½ August 29, 2012
Great Documentary worth seeing. Really shows how screwed up our legal system is.
August 23, 2012
Watching it now. Riveting!
½ August 23, 2012
If you admit you are guilty you can go free but proclaiming your evident innocence will keep you inside. Astonishing expose of the ineptitude of the US judicial system. Respect due to all three boys.
August 20, 2012
A good documentary makes its audience aware of its subject. It brings a consciousness to its viewer while it also raises questions within that person. No matter where you might fall on the side of an issue, a good documentary makes you realize there are two sides. Such is the case with a documentary I recently watched; PARADISE LOST 3: PURGATORY (Joe Berlinger and Bruce Shinofsky, HBO Documentary Films, 2011). My initial visceral reaction was quickly replaced by a quiet pondering of what I had just seen. I wanted to know answers to the questions I was raising to myself and those questions the film had given me. Most importantly the film had moved me, struck a chord inside me. It left me thinking so many things I had to write them down.

How can such a brutal crime still take place? Three young boys, all bright kids with their lives in front of them, dead. What was the motive of the killer? If the West Memphis 3 are innocent, who the hell did this heinous crime? If I had a child, what would I do if someone perpetrated a crime like this on my son?

How awful must the parents feel? These sons were the pride and joy of these parents. How cruel to have them taken away. One of the mothers makes a statement to the effect of "why give me eight years with my son only to take him from me"? I have to agree with that sentiment, in a way. What about these seemingly despicable stepfathers? Chris Byers appears to have turned a corner but has there ever been a looser cannon? Maybe so if you add Terry Hobbs into the mix. And Hobbs doesn't appear innocent at all. With the release of the WM3, why isn't there a pursuit into finding answers? Or is everyone involved at the point where letting the crime fade into the past the best thing to do? Will there ever be closure to this crime?

How do the WM3 re-establish themselves into society? Do they face continual death threats? Have they had to change their identities? What of the lives they lost in prison? James Baldwin mentioned in the press conference after his release that he was innocent and didn't want the Alford plea. Yet he did it for Damien Eccols. How does he feel today, admitting guilt? Was it worth it? And what a selfless act.

What about the role the police, the district attorney and the judge played in this travesty? Do they have guilt at night? Knowing they more than likely sent three innocents to prison for 18 years? Do they realize they look incredibly inept to the rest of the world?

What about the sensationalistic nature of the case? The role of the mob and the carrying out of a modern day mob justice? The absolute conviction of the accused before they went to trial. What about the role satanism played in the court of public opinion? I know this is the heart of the bible belt but geez, it was 1993. Not 1560.

How dedicated were Berlinger and Shinofsky? Twenty years, three documentaries. Incredible devotion. How about the others involved in getting the WM3 free? The lady that married Eccols? You can't write a screenplay this juicy with as many shocking twists and turns and life shattering revelations.

Finally, what does the film say about us as a society? How does it reflect us? Looking critically shows a picture of a society devoid of its moral compass. Sensationalism and mob mentality reign. As long as people are sated and happy, no problems exist. How can we have such a brutal crime basically being unpunished. People involved with this case do and say anything in front of the camera. The people involved show the worst of what we have become; uneducated, morally bankrupt, extremely narcissistic.

A powerful film.