Paradise Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paradise Road Reviews

July 5, 2016
still pretty much the same as the theatrical version.
½ July 5, 2016
A little slow, but a beautiful story of human strength. The
February 21, 2015
Powerful, poignant and tragic slice of WWII history. Top notch cast of exceptional women portraying heroic survivors.
½ October 10, 2014
This was an excellent fact based drama centering on a group of expatriate women from various backgrounds who are imprisoned in a concentration camp by the Japanese during World War II. It does have a bit of a "movie of the week" feel to it which is overshadowed by the talented ensemble cast of actresses attached, including Glenn Close, Cate Blanchett and Frances McDormand among others.

You can't help but be drawn into these women's lives as they are interned in POW camps for several years, facing torture, starvation, disease and abuse while being shuffled around the island of Sumatra. In the midst of their ordeal they form a "vocal orchestra" -basically humming as singing is prohibited. Some of the storylines are left a little vague i.e. the young wife and her husband in the next camp over and there are several brutal torture scenes. Personally I would have liked a bit of a note on what happened to the survivors after the war ended. This reminded me very much of the movie A Town Like Alice with Bryan Brown (based on the Nevil Shute book.) 10/6/14
½ December 17, 2013
The Will To Live Is Strong When Individuals Band (Excuse The Pun) Together Fighting Captive Torture. It Is A Commendable Effort, Which Is Reflected Upon In Part, But Not Great Detail..Here.
½ December 1, 2013
Good, but not great. Interesting story of survival, but it's not that original. There had been numerous WW2 POW / survival-through-unbearable-hardship movies before this, and this isn't that different from those. Plus, writer-director Bruce Beresford pulls his punches with regard to Japanese atrocities in WW2 - the reality was a lot worse than the movie makes out.

Still, emotional and interesting nevertheless.

Good performances all round.
August 18, 2013
It had it's moments but overall flawed and uneven I think.
August 24, 2012
I just love a film with a great cast
May 18, 2012
One of the most real and poignant WWII Interment camp pictures i have seen. Right up there with "Empire of the Sun". Excellent performances by a diverse cast.
½ March 1, 2012
Paradise Road is a fictional film based loosely on fact, not a documentary. Still it is avery good movie with a wonderful cast, realistic and sympathetic acting.
February 27, 2012
While its a lovely film to look at, there just isn't enough going on to really give yourself completely to Paradise Road.
½ October 22, 2011
July 2, 2011
All Star Cast, Very Touching Story of British, Australian, American, and Chinese Women in a WWII Japanese POW Camp. Haunting.
½ June 26, 2011
I did not realize that this was a true story until the very end of he film. This movie was time well-spent.
May 8, 2011
A superior movie starring two of the most talented actresses of our time: Glenn Close and Cate Blanchett. It's a story of survival, courage, hope, determation and a lot of joy and sadness along the way. Definitely worth-watching.
April 1, 2011
An excellent recounting of the horror of surviving a Japanese prisoner of war camp during WWII, that put this viewer in mind of "Playing For Time". Glenn Close plays Adrienne Pargiter, the wife of a British diplomat, who becomes the de facto leader of the women incarcerated on Sumatra. Joining her is a marvelous cast, including Frances McDormand (Dr Verstak), Cate Blanchett (Susan McCarthy), Julianna Marguiles (Topsy Merritt), and Pauline Collins (Margaret Drummond). Together, they face the brutality of their captors with dignity and courage and manage to put together a vocal orchestra and present classical music with only their voices. When they begin to sing, I defy the viewing audience to remain dry-eyed! A testament to the strength of the human spirit under the harshest conditions imaginable.
January 1, 2011
Obviously a pretty atypical war movie (if you can even class it as that), and it's all uplifting and heartbreaking and heartwarming and all that stuff; kind of a war movie for mums, I suppose. I don't mean any of this as a criticism, because it's really just a story of humanity in adversity -- which is what all decent war movies are anyway. A good mix of characters, and a cast with no weak links (though Frances McDormand's doctor seems a bit cartoonish at times). As is mentioned in the movie, the "vocal orchestra" really is just a bunch of women humming -- and it's easy to think of it as such when you can pick out the individual parts -- though it's very well arranged and harmonious humming.
½ December 2, 2010
i found this movie depressing because it gave you a good insight to what life was like at a ww2 concentration camp but it also told me as an viewer that even though times look shit and you might fell as though there's no way out you can always find a light in a dark situation.
½ November 10, 2010
I feel like this movie flitted from one scene of torture and mistreatment to another without focusing too much on any one character which led me to feel rather detached from the story and the people in it. It's rather ironic since detachment is how many people who lived through that coped with their horrific everyday existence. Still, it's a great story and a great cast, and I did enjoy the singing. I think my two favorite scenes were when the guards were gonna break up their first concert and were so captivated by the music that they listened to it instead and of course when that officer took Glen Close into the woods so he could sing a song to her!
½ July 23, 2010
When you're feeling sorry for yourself, or think you've got it tough.... Amazing courage, grit, will, strength, and creativity. Work with what you've got and don't dwell on or whine about the things you don't have. This is one of my all time favorite movies and I so admire the work of Glenn Close.