Paradise Road - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paradise Road Reviews

July 12, 2010
Wow. Seriously one of the very best movies I've seen in a long time. I really enjoyed it. The scene where the POW guards stop in midstride when the women begin to sing is just so beautiful. This is really a very powerful story of triumph in unspeakable odds, and the courage of the human spirit to survive. I highly recommend.
July 4, 2010
A large cast of gifted actresses, including Glenn Close, Frances McDormand,and Cate Blanchett is largely underutilized in Beresford's honorable but ultimately lackluster effort.
May 22, 2010
A group of women from different countries are kept in a prison camp by the Japanese during W W I I and face much abuse. But unity grows as they battle to keep the will to live and survive the camp. True story and good drama.
May 21, 2010
A group of women get captured during WWII and sent to a harsh japanese camp. They learn to cope with the hardships and even form a singing group. Pretty good story from the women's point of view, good acting all around.
½ March 17, 2010
Authentic and haunting, all the usual cliches which are not really cliched - they're how it was and that was how one nation behaved. Man's inhumanity, in this case to Woman, must be continually depicted .... "Lest We Forget". Entertaining too - who in the movie audience is not turned round by the beauty of the unaccompanied singing, just as were the guards.

So enjoy the3 performances and be glad you were spared the experiences.
April 19, 2009
At times, the grueling pageant of torture and abuse became a bit much for me. Still, Paradise Road is a triumphant celebration of the human spirit in the face of suffering.
bbcfloridabound
April 3, 2009
How can you give this film anything but 5 Stars. If there is one thing I enjoy about any movie, is the fact that I learned something from it. It is ashamed that it takes 50 years to learn the secrets of a War. There seems to be more and more movies coming out that tell us of these hidden secrets. This is based on a true story. I had no idea that women were held prisoner of war during World War II. All the actors were outstanding. The Human Vocal band was out of this world. And as many captives will tell you, you must band together and work on something to keep your mind from whets really happening. This is a must see and a must add to the collection. 5 stars.
December 8, 2008
no thanks not my thing
½ October 26, 2008
great film. bought it cause it was cheap and sounded good and ended up being a pretty great movie.
July 29, 2008
great film. not one you need to see twice
½ July 24, 2008
it's amazing how music brings people together...
July 16, 2008
Fascinating movie- love to analyze the characters in this movie- I love movies based on true stories- an amazing story of hope and joy amidst horrible circumstances.
June 30, 2008
This movie made me cry when I was ten... Well... It nearly did anyway...
½ June 1, 2008
Lackluster. Some genuine moments don't make up for the rest of the unfocused, underdeveloped story...
May 13, 2008
A really underrated film. Based on true events. A group of POW women form a vocal orchestra. Facing torture or even death for even writing - the women continue anyway - and it helps them through the war.
May 2, 2008
made me cry so much I couldnt breathe
April 21, 2008
Not particularly well known film with an all-star cast, and all the worse for it as it is a powerful and, at times, harrowing depiction of women in a prisoner of war camp trying to survive against the odds, and using music to aid them in coming together and getting through the hardship.
March 29, 2008
un drama increible, el trabajo de glen y cate es excepcional
March 23, 2008
With this movie there isn't any real plot to it, other than that which we already know from history class. It has a ridiculously sad movie... but also uplifting knowing its based on a true story.