Paranormal Activity 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranormal Activity 2 Reviews

½ January 24, 2016
I liked being scared. Not as scary... but still fun to watch.
January 22, 2016
Serves up a few creepy moments but overall, this sequel is a pretty boring and confusing mess.
½ January 6, 2016
A superior and scarier sequel (prequel actually) that serves best as an example of what the first movie should have been but wasn't, given that, contrary to the silly sheet tricks of that one, we're offered this time a more interesting development of the paranormal activity.
January 2, 2016
Not as scary as the first one, but if you were compelled to give it a try due to the original, you'll leave pleasantly surprised. Horror fans by now are trained to expect nothing but the worst from sequels, but PA2 delivers on it's scares. Admittedly there aren't as many scares as the original, and they likely don't frighten as much either, but imho that's more a testament to how good the original was vs how bad the sequel is.
December 30, 2015
Though treading a similar formula to the first film, this delivers a tremendous amount in terms of atmosphere and originality. The house itself is enchanting as are the characters. Even on the umpteenth viewing this remains one of the scariest movies I've ever seen.
December 21, 2015
not as good as the first one.
November 7, 2015
Capitalizes on the first but offers cruddy characters with a nonsensical plot.
November 1, 2015
It is definitely not better than the first, the story is deeply too forced, that is to say, try to create a saga where history is hardly enjoyable and even is understandable, the unique and interesting and at the same time fun and frightening of the first film is completely lost in this second part, offering more of the same, but worse and boring at the same time and with scares simple and unoriginal.

Review en Español:
Definitivamente no es mejor que la primera, la historia se siente demasiado forzada, es decir, intentan crear una saga donde la historia apenas es disfrutable y ni siquiera es entendible, lo único e interesante y a la vez divertido y aterrador de la primera película se pierde completamente en esta segunda parte, ofreciendo mas de lo mismo, pero peor y aburrido a la vez y con sustos simples y poco originales.
November 1, 2015
½ October 30, 2015
Tying in nicely to the original and with a better camera setup. this film was not as terrifying as the first one but still provides enough creepy moments to be a respectable entry to the franchise. 3.6/5
½ October 30, 2015
After the success of Paranormal Activity, of course Hollywood is going to make a sequel. So with a new director, and three different writers, which two of them I only know of that written films in the future like Christopher Landon with Paranormal Activity 3, 4, and The Marked Ones, and Michael R. Perry with The Voices, which I really enjoyed. So to my surprise, not only does have all of the great stuff that made the first Paranormal Activity a success, it actually improves on it. Instead of one camera in the first movie, it's now multiple cameras which makes sense since it's a sequel, and they want to make it bigger, which not only that, but it also makes sense about why it's being filmed, and also how it got found. The acting is really good, and the writing is great in this which like the first film, sounds like real dialogue to me. There is no character that is mean-spirited, although Micah comes back in this, but he's actually not in this film that much, and he doesn't really do anything that's consider to be a jerk move. The story is still pretty good, but it doesn't really do anything new with it and is kind of repeating some of the things form the first movie, but not the scares though as they are really effective and really get a jump out of me without using jump scares, except maybe one but it's at the right moment. The characters are smart, and there's more backstory of Katie and Kristi's past which is very interesting and made me wonder about what happen to their past, until the third movie is made which in my opinion, was the right thing to do. The climax is the best part of the film because it gives you a cluster-phobic vibe to the film, and you just don't know when it's gonna come up to scare you which horror films need to do that often. The movie answers a lot of questions that were needed, but also gives some questions that film deserves to have as Paranormal Activity 2 is one of the best horror sequels I've seen in a long time.
October 25, 2015
Very effective sequel to one of the better horror films of the last decade. I preferred the first for it's mounting tension and discovery of the situation the main characters were facing. But on the plus side, the spooky events occur more often and are bigger than in the previous film. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this series continues to go.
October 22, 2015
A decent follow-up to a great film really just makes this sequel decent.
B
October 21, 2015
Perhaps it is expected of sequels to good horror movies in general to be generally weaker and less original than their predecessors. But Paranormal activity is still a scary creepshow, and offers a widened narrative and scope to the first movie's small scale.
½ October 19, 2015
Definitely an improvement over the first film. While it does take a little bit for the movie to kick in, it doesn't fail to disappoint when everything hits the fan. 3.8/5
September 26, 2015
Not bad! It was good to me! But not better than the first!
½ September 18, 2015
Drab sequel that tries to pull of a lot of the same tricks as its predecessor, but just lacks the malevolent atmosphere and unpredictability that made the first one good. Surprisingly, given the kind of film it's trying to be, too much exposition: it crosses the line of credulity with the demon-based internet sleuthing and never looks back. Also, if you saw the alternative ending to 1 (which I thought was better, more ambiguous, than the haunted house shock tactic of the theatrical ending), the end of 2 makes no sense. But it does it allow a a franchise to be spawned, which is nice.
September 17, 2015
Slightly better than the first film! A+
September 2, 2015
The other side of the equal equation used the same structure with increased decimals in some points to be a little less suspenseful but at least a bit more entertaining to match the original's resulted rating. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 18, 2015
While I enjoyed the first film a bit better, Paranormal Activity 2 has one really great moment... that lasts for 10 seconds. You're basically staring at a pool the whole time.