Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015)

TOMATOMETER

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension ties up some of the franchise's lingering questions, but six films into the series, the thrills are mostly gone.

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension Videos

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension Photos

Movie Info

The Paranormal Activity series grows with this fifth entry from Paramount Pictures. ~ Jeremy Wheeler, Rovi
Rating:
R (for language and some horror violence)
Genre:

as Grandma Lois
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension

Critic Reviews for Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension

All Critics (68) | Top Critics (10)

Such a tepid failure that it triggers catcalls from paying audiences.

Time Out
Top Critic

If this is the last in the series, then the franchise has succeeded in going out with a bang - a bunch of them, actually, and at least a couple should have you involuntarily twitching in your seat.

Entertainment Weekly
Top Critic

Those seeking closure to what continuity there has been will go home mostly disappointed.

New York Times
Top Critic

If only Ghost Dimension spent more time in the ghost dimension and less time in the people dimension, we might have had something.

Full Review… | October 24, 2015
New York Magazine/Vulture
Top Critic

This series jumped the shark - maybe that should be jumped the dark? - following its not-bad third chapter.

Full Review… | October 23, 2015
Toronto Star
Top Critic

At its most basic level, the "Paranormal Activity" formula still has some kick, with its combination of creepy lo-fi video and tasteful suburbia creating some strong, unsettling dissonance.

Full Review… | October 23, 2015
Los Angeles Times

Audience Reviews for Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension

See more reviews like this at chrisbreviews.blogspot.com I want to start off by saying that this movie is disappointing in every sense of the word. This is the Paranormal activity series' 6th film and is by far the worst installment. It is evident that the writers have run out of ideas this time. The plot itself has been recycled TOO MANY TIMES. The sheer boredom of this movie is unbearable, and 90 minutes was far too long. Often in the script you can see the writers killing time. There was a point in the movie where two characters were having an in depth conversation about Santa Clause and I knew that there was nothing the movie could do at that point to redeem itself. And it didn't even try. Along with that, Gregory Plotkin (who is not known for any decent work) removed all elements that made this saga engaging. The invisible entity unleashing chaos, murder, and destruction everywhere it went was a credible threat. Now with the magical camera, we can actually see the demon, and it's not a good look. It looks like some sort of black liquidy mass darting around the room not posing any legitimate threat to its victims. At parts during the film, this mass was given a hideous face that stunk of cheap CGI and was almost comedic to look at. The 'evolution' of this demon culminated at this films' conclusion. And without any spoilers what is seen is by far the most ridiculous thing and quite possibly the worst executive decision ever made in a film. Another element that was excised was the actual horror in this horror film. This movie should be rated PG-13 for no sudden jump scares, no invincible antagonists, and no reason to fear anything in this film. With a small low budget film of course comes a small low budget cast. New faces Olivia Dudley, Brittany Shaw, Don McManus, Cara Pifko, Dan Gill, Chris J. Murray, Michael Rawic and Ivy George join old faces Chloe Csengery (young Katie), Jessica Tyler Brown (young Kristi), Hallie Foote (Grandma Lois), and Aidan Lovekamp (Hunter Rey). It's almost as if there was a competition for the worst possible actor. The only incident where I felt any emotion from these characters performances was a pleading look from Brittany Shaw as the last line of defence from keeping Leila from the demon. The characters themselves were one dimensional with hardly any back story. The only genres you'll find here us flimsy attempts at horror, thriller, and comedy. No deeper meaning either, this film is one dimensional along with its characters. The final thing I want to mention is the connection to the previous films. Unlike its predecessor, The Ghost Dimension tries to relate back to the same world as the rest of the Paranormal Activity series through the tapes, an old set, and time travel. Yes, you heard me. And that wasn't the only moment where the plot turned silly... Although idiotic, the connections to the old films is at least half positive. It did expand on Katie and Kristi's intriguing story, and left me yearning for an end to their tale, for the sake of closure and cinematic quality. To conclude, I am officially saying that Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension is the worst movie I have ever seen, and I've seen some garbage. Rather than thinking about negatives to bring my rating down, in this film I've grasped at straws to find shreds of affirmative elements of this monstrosity. I would only recommend this movie to those who wish to make sarcastic remarks about its terrible quality, as I did.

Christopher Breen
Christopher Breen

The Paranormal Activity franchise, which has, in my opinion, never been very good, is at its worst in "The Ghost Dimension" (or at the very least, sits on equally-worst footing alongside "PA4")

Gimly M.
Gimly M.

½

An abysmal mess, Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension is a completely inept horror film. Interconnecting itself with part 3, the story follows the new owners of Katie and Kristi's childhood home (rebuilt after a fire) as they discover old VHS tapes of the kids being trained by a cult leader and an unusual video camera with unique properties that enables it to pick up different visual spectrums that show that there are entities moving throughout the house unseen by the naked eye. The film starts out alright, but within 20 minutes it's off to crazy town and doesn't let up. Nothing about it is scary or frightening in the least, and there's no investment in the characters. Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension is a pathetic entry into the series, and hopefully the death knell.

Dann Michalski
Dann Michalski

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension Quotes

Discussion Forum

Discuss Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension on our Movie forum!

News & Features