Paranormal Entity - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paranormal Entity Reviews

½ April 6, 2015
Obvious rip-off of Paranormal Activity done in the same style, but with it's own story which wasn't bad and plenty creepy in it's own right.
January 4, 2015
I saw this a few years ago when I had Netflix. I saw this before any of the Paranormal Activity movies. I've been watching horror movies since I was 3 years it really does take quite a bit to actually unnerve and or scare me. This movie...granted not the best out there did just that. It had some good spooks and it totally had the creep factor to it as well...much like The Exorcist. If you like the Paranormal Activity movies, give this one a watch too.
September 2, 2014
Believe it or not, this was still better than any of the terrible 'Paranormal Activity' films. That is not to say that this was good though. It is still a rip-off in every imaginable way, and it pretty much fails to deliver in any determinable capacity. It does manage to do a few things well however which salvage it from being an utter and total waste.

As for its positives, it definitely creates a tone and a mood. It creates the feeling that something is about to jump out at you throughout the entire film, which did keep me paying attention. Unfortunately, this feeling of jumpiness goes largely unfulfilled. But for creating an uneasy feeling throughout, I have to give some props, as it is by far the most effective thing about the movie.

As far as its flaws go, they are much more prevalent. A really terrible script is made all the more terrible by bad acting. Just really ridged and unnatural dialogue makes it exceedingly hard to take a mockumentary seriously. The fact that there are really only three characters with nothing to offset their sub-par performances make them even more noticeable. At least Erin Hogan is smoking hot, so thankfully her casting wasn't a total waste.

The story overall is where the film is its weakest. Nothing happens. As I said, you are constantly thinking 'something is going to happen. Something is going to jump out of the dark at them', but nothing ever does. The fact that is is clearly and blatantly a rehashing of prior films is reinforced by its complete lack of originality or authenticity. Does seem to have an idea or two, but it is glanced over and never explored past the point of introduction.

Even bad story and acting aside though, I can not forgive its abrupt and fulfilling ending. It seems like you might finally see what has been hinted at throughout the movie, but instead, it just cuts out all the explanatory and action stuff you might actually be interested in seeing and picks up again afterwards. I'm all for leaving things to your audiences imagination, but there's a fine line between that and just not having anything to show. This is clearly the latter, and it suffers from a lack of innovation throughout.

When all is said and done, this is a below average movie that still manages to outperform the somehow critically acclaimed 'Paranormal Activity' from which it plagiarizes. A minimalistic and edgy feel with a couple of interesting ideas and scenes offset the questionable acting and painfully slow and anticlimactic plot at least to some small degree. Can't say I'd recommend much about it, but it's a step above totally terrible.
June 23, 2014
bad movie erin hogan is so hot, so I will cut it a little slack, might be a 1/2 star withought her
March 27, 2014
absolutely terrible , a complete abomination of a film
January 10, 2014
Not good at all. 3.7/10. C-. Don't watch this
½ January 4, 2014
Paranormal Entity is a rip off of a better movie, what did you expect from The Asylum?
November 23, 2013
Fairly painful even given the cheap film with questionable acting it parodies.

With hindsight I'm left wondering is the whole point if the ghosts antics truly to frame Dick van Dyke's grandson for rape and murder...and that given this tape was discovered how did it not clear him...then I decide I'm overthinking things and just rate it one star.
October 6, 2013
This movie was just as bad as the orignal film...didn't catch my attention with very few scares...and just so you know, the company (The Asylum) copies all the famous films like Paranormal Activity, Snakes On A Plane, and Even Titanic...But this one was a disapointment.
June 18, 2013
Just by looking at the cover, you can obviously tell that it's a knock-off of Paranormal Activity that's probably just a 90 minute borefest. Not exactly. Keep in mind that this film was created by The Asylum, notorious for creating unspeakably bad films (mainly knock-offs).
My expectations were already low. There was the first half hour that was just the regular setup to most horror movies before the real "horror" came in. It started ordinary, things falling, writings appearing, just simple things. Then the rape ghost made his debut. Can you guess his special attribute? I wasn't sure whether to accept this as comical relief or a serious part of the story. There were some genuine scares, but not enough to for me to consider this movie great, or even good for that matter. There's many things it doesn't do well, but there is one that it does: Be better than the series it knocked off.
½ June 11, 2013
I thought that this was a pretty good horror movie. But they shouldn't have called it "Paranormal Entity" because that is really close to "Paranormal Activity".
½ June 10, 2013
June 3, 2013
To be honest, it isn't half bad when you think of it. I don't understand why so much users and critics hate this movie. When you seperate from comparing this and paranormal activity, this movie is REALLY GOOD.
May 5, 2013
omg scariest movie ever
½ March 30, 2013
I really liked Paranormal Entity! I especially thought this movie; though with a lot of similarities, was better than Paranormal Activity! A real seat gripper! Found myself scared more than a few times. I actually had to look this movie up online weeks after watching it to see if it was a true story!
March 22, 2013
this movie is very scary and creppy and I like this movie
½ March 15, 2013
Jalleen tiivistettavissa oleva elokuva. Taas ihastellaan hamarassa kuvattua kasikameramateriaalia ja koko elokuvan ajan odotellaan etta jotain tapahtuisi. Paranormaali siima oli ihan huippu!
February 19, 2013
Here we have a complete ripoff of Paranormal Activity...for whatever reason. Everything was put in the same perspective...the same carbon copy story, with the exception of a different type of entity.

The acting was horrible, the cast lacked so much luster. The story was very unbelievable. It just had nothing going for it at all. Skip this one, and just stick with the "ACTIVITY" movie.
February 3, 2013
awful movie. It uses the home movie technique that's become synonymous with evil spirit movies! not original at all!