ParaNorman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ParaNorman Reviews

October 19, 2015
A creepy, thought provoking film that aims to terrify the young ones and thrill the older crowd. Paranorman succeeds in its endeavor to create a horror animated film without losing the charm or laughs the public expects.
October 19, 2015
Zombies. Ghosts. An evil witch. Many a movie has taken these things and just left it there and never delved deeper, but "ParaNorman" does not take anything at face value. "ParaNorman" is a movie which humanizes the strange and the bizarre and shows that, so often, the real monsters are those who are "normal". While some of the characters can be annoying and there are some cringe-worthy lines or moments, "ParaNorman" is a movie that directors of all genres need to watch. What is really so wonderful about "ParaNorman" is that all of the strange, bizarre characters like the zombies or the witch are delved into and shown to have so much depth and motivation. The zombies are revealed to be *spoilers* the town's late Puritan inhabitants who are trapped in limbo after committing a terrible act, the killing of a little girl who they believed to be a witch. The witch turns out to just be a girl who had experienced such pain and sadness that it made her angry and bitter, who turned into a monster only because she was made into one by those who feared her. "ParaNorman" is also a movie which says that violence is so often just a reaction to things that are different than us and only succeeds in creating more monsters for people to hate. In the end, it is talking and understanding what and who we fear that truly brings about resolution and healing. "ParaNorman" has it's faults, but it is such a powerful movie in the way it shows that those we fear are so often more afraid of us and that, when we judge and treat others badly because they're different from us, we are the monsters. "ParaNorman" also has so much style and has a great moment at the end where we discover that the big, macho jock actually has a boyfriend, which, by the end of the movie, is just the cherry on top. "ParaNorman" is what more movies, not just kids' movies, should aspire to be.
½ September 10, 2015
although it is similar to the sixth sense ParaNorman is a very entertaining movie with a great main character and an even greater voice cast with beautiful animation
September 3, 2015
The animation might be a let down,but ParaNorman's spooky story and lovely humor makes this movie a treat. Review by Logan Cornn.
August 28, 2015
Witty, understated, intelligent and fun. I don't think I'd change anything about it, the pace is perfect and the animation is great so the kids stay entertained while boasting satire that rivals the Simpsons. It manages to reinforce the message of tolerance while not forcing it down your throat which I also greatly appreciate. There aren't many movies that succeed in being family movies that don't make me want to poke my eyes out much less tolerate so this is a rare gem indeed (I saw a review stating that this is like a gateway drug to horror movies and that's a fantastically true!).
½ August 23, 2015
Stop motion animation movie that's probably too scary for some of its target demographic. It's highly stylized and done very well. My family enjoyed it despite some of the adult themes but if my kids were younger I might want to see it first before showing it to them.
August 19, 2015
From the brilliant minds of Caroline, comes a follow up that deliever just as much as the spooky quircks that can entertain kids and parents.
½ August 17, 2015
Cute and funny, albeit a bit on the childish side.
August 8, 2015
Deep stop motion is not as cool as fascinating computer animation.
½ August 3, 2015
While there were some enjoyable segments, ParaNorman is cheesy and unoriginal
July 30, 2015
liked it...a good cartoon that adults like
½ July 25, 2015
ParaNorman is pretty much The Sixth Sense, just way more tame and all animated. This movie was really bad, and made really, no sense at all. Nothing is interesting, it is all boring and just a puzzle. It's not even scary, just stupid. Skip it, you will be glad you did
½ July 5, 2015
Paranorman was quite an odd film for me. I am I huge fan of Coraline so when I saw this advertised I thought I would like it the same. I wasn't quite right however. The animation was great and all and they sure put together a good cast but I just couldn't find myself to like it a lot. I felt like the film was very enclosed and in a certain space like the characters were just talking and not travelling. I don't like how films intertwine a love story in the film on purpose just to 'relate to everyone'. People are not going to watch Paranorman to see a love story, they will rent 'The Notebook' or something. It just doesn't work when you put love into this type of comic horror film, it just turns out to be cheesy. I know the love story was only a small portion of the film put it seemed to stick with me the most, not the main plot. So, Paranorman is ok but it isn't as good as Coraline that's for sure!
½ June 27, 2015
Laika is way better than Aardman
June 10, 2015
The biggest strength of Paranormal is its delicate entwining of messages - being tolerant and being valiant.
June 8, 2015
Laika's second feature ParaNorman is a wonderful movie that would delight kids and adults. When I first watched it, I asked myself of whether this is better than Coraline, and I gave myself a hard thinking and answer to myself, this one but only the animation which when I saw it, I was wondering how they do that. I can tell that most of the effects are done by hand, but then there are some moments that I know that it wasn't done by hand, and I was very curious about how they do that. The story is fantastic and can give off a great message to kids. The designs of the zombies look really good and can creep up the kids that they find the movie to be frightening which I'm glad to see a horror from a kids film that doesn't go too dark. There are a lot of great jokes, and the soundtrack is very mellow but still really catchy. It has great characters, I'm glad that it doesn't have a typical bully character, and actually made me enjoy his character when the movie kept going, and once it gets to the end, there's a moment that went by pretty quickly, but still shocked me about it and was very glad that they actually said that in a kids film. The acting is really great, and the writing is smart and really good. ParaNorman is a masterpiece that I wished that it got more money or is more noticeable.
June 6, 2015
Creepy "clay"animations why no guns! Guns can really stop zombies!!!
May 27, 2015
It's a step down from Coraline, but ParaNorman is still charming (and not as scary as Coraline at least). It definitely got me psyched for Halloween.
½ May 23, 2015
Did not expect this to be half as good as it was. Seriously, it's incredible. Between this and Coraline, Laika has surpassed Aardman as my favorite stop-motion studio.
½ May 21, 2015
An animated love letter to horror movies.