ParaNorman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

ParaNorman Reviews

½ January 12, 2016
Love this movie the fact that a Kid could see dead people in an animated story just did it for me.
November 11, 2015
Extremely weak and disappointing compared to other stop-motion animated films.
½ November 8, 2015
A pretty solid concept, and though it's been done before, I don't think the whole "protagonist sees dead people" theme has ever been catered to a young audience. Stop motion is, as always, a sight to behold, though honestly, the film takes a route that didn't really fit. Our protagonist, Norman, is a bullied misfit, and by God does the film drive it into the ground. The first 20 odd minutes is Norman getting ruthlessly ostracised by both friends and family. Perhaps just the one or two scenes could've given off the fact that he was a misfit, and more time could've been spent in fixing up the messy concept. I hated the main villain, mostly because their intentions really didn't make sense. However, I LOVED all the characters, vicious and comical stereotypes coupled with great voice actors. Really, the only thing that let it down was the general conflict, vital to the structure of the film. If you can get past that, it's a quality horror kids film.
November 4, 2015
In a fun homage to horror movies of old, ParaNorman is beautifully animated, as well as boasting an impressive voice cast, but is unfortunately inconsistent in delivering both its narrative and its jokes.
½ November 2, 2015
The animation is really original and well done, the effort that had to go into this film alone makes you want to appreciate it. Sadly, the story isn't much help after a decent start. While it is likable that the film tries to stay surprising and avoid stereotypes the plot becomes a bit of a mess in the second half. It's also surprisingly gritty and not exactly for all children. Somewhat disappointing.
½ November 1, 2015
It's essentially what Shaun of the Dead would be if it were an animated children's film. Laugh out loud hilarious, clever, and fun as hell.

Grade: A
November 1, 2015
great halloween fodder for kids. fantastic animation.
October 26, 2015
Paranorman is a beautiful film made by amazingly talented people. It takes a minute to get off the ground, but once it does, it's a fantastic ride.
October 26, 2015
Paranorman is genuinely funny and boasts quirky characters, a well-written script and beautiful stop-motion animation.
October 19, 2015
A creepy, thought provoking film that aims to terrify the young ones and thrill the older crowd. Paranorman succeeds in its endeavor to create a horror animated film without losing the charm or laughs the public expects.
October 19, 2015
Zombies. Ghosts. An evil witch. Many a movie has taken these things and just left it there and never delved deeper, but "ParaNorman" does not take anything at face value. "ParaNorman" is a movie which humanizes the strange and the bizarre and shows that, so often, the real monsters are those who are "normal". While some of the characters can be annoying and there are some cringe-worthy lines or moments, "ParaNorman" is a movie that directors of all genres need to watch. What is really so wonderful about "ParaNorman" is that all of the strange, bizarre characters like the zombies or the witch are delved into and shown to have so much depth and motivation. The zombies are revealed to be *spoilers* the town's late Puritan inhabitants who are trapped in limbo after committing a terrible act, the killing of a little girl who they believed to be a witch. The witch turns out to just be a girl who had experienced such pain and sadness that it made her angry and bitter, who turned into a monster only because she was made into one by those who feared her. "ParaNorman" is also a movie which says that violence is so often just a reaction to things that are different than us and only succeeds in creating more monsters for people to hate. In the end, it is talking and understanding what and who we fear that truly brings about resolution and healing. "ParaNorman" has it's faults, but it is such a powerful movie in the way it shows that those we fear are so often more afraid of us and that, when we judge and treat others badly because they're different from us, we are the monsters. "ParaNorman" also has so much style and has a great moment at the end where we discover that the big, macho jock actually has a boyfriend, which, by the end of the movie, is just the cherry on top. "ParaNorman" is what more movies, not just kids' movies, should aspire to be.
½ September 10, 2015
although it is similar to the sixth sense ParaNorman is a very entertaining movie with a great main character and an even greater voice cast with beautiful animation
September 3, 2015
The animation might be a let down,but ParaNorman's spooky story and lovely humor makes this movie a treat. Review by Logan Cornn.
August 28, 2015
Witty, understated, intelligent and fun. I don't think I'd change anything about it, the pace is perfect and the animation is great so the kids stay entertained while boasting satire that rivals the Simpsons. It manages to reinforce the message of tolerance while not forcing it down your throat which I also greatly appreciate. There aren't many movies that succeed in being family movies that don't make me want to poke my eyes out much less tolerate so this is a rare gem indeed (I saw a review stating that this is like a gateway drug to horror movies and that's a fantastically true!).
½ August 23, 2015
Stop motion animation movie that's probably too scary for some of its target demographic. It's highly stylized and done very well. My family enjoyed it despite some of the adult themes but if my kids were younger I might want to see it first before showing it to them.
August 19, 2015
From the brilliant minds of Caroline, comes a follow up that deliever just as much as the spooky quircks that can entertain kids and parents.
½ August 17, 2015
Cute and funny, albeit a bit on the childish side.
August 8, 2015
Deep stop motion is not as cool as fascinating computer animation.
½ August 3, 2015
While there were some enjoyable segments, ParaNorman is cheesy and unoriginal
July 30, 2015
liked it...a good cartoon that adults like