Parents - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parents Reviews

August 21, 2017
Another dreadful black comedy has a boy discovering his parents are cannibals using human meat secured from the father's job at the morgue for meals.
July 16, 2016
It's not gonna go down as a classic, but there is some fun to be had.
½ September 18, 2015
Structurally, quite a conventional horror, but elevated by its quirky style and performances - maybe a dash of social commentary in there as well at a push.
July 27, 2015
How have I not heard of this movie sooner?! This is the blackest comedy I've ever seen! This movie is insane! The story is about a very young boy, who is also very weird and odd, who suspects his parents might not be who they seem to be. He starts catching them doing some obscene stuff and starts to question where they get all their food from. Yes, you probably already guessed. This movie is about a boy who thinks his parents are cannibals! Even if it's only 77 minutes long, this movie will disturb you, make you laugh because of how awkward it is, and maybe even scar you. The acting is brilliant! The parents are scary, creepy and disturbing. Whenever Randy Quaid is on screen, it's terrifying. The mother is much less scary, it's the father who you should be afraid of the most. The little kid's acting might seem bad to some, but I thought it was actually pretty spot on. His reactions to things happening around him seem very real. At times it's like he isn't even acting! He's literally scared! The soundtrack helps the movie a lot. It makes every scene seem like it's the most disturbing one ever. The ending is shocking and brutal. All in all, this goes high on my list of favourite movies and I'll deffinetely watch it again. Great acting, awesome soundtrack, ridiculous, yet frightening story. I would recommend seeing this movie at least once.
June 22, 2015
Pretty fun actually for a cheesy b horror from that time. The kid is HORRIBLE though...
½ June 4, 2015
Knowing what the film's about leaves nothing else for you to discover.
½ May 24, 2015
Once again, a film that the viewer will either hate or love. I don't think a person could respond to this satire and cinematic metaphor in a neutral way. I find it to be an oddly powerful, funny and surprisingly scary and very intense bit of satire that I've never forgotten. Perhaps too dark for its own good, this is a bold bit of film art. And, there is a lot more being communicated than meets the eye.
½ May 5, 2015
I don't know why everyone is giving this movie a hard time. Set in the 50s, It's about a boy who suspects that his parents are cannibals and that the meat they serve at meals is human. His increasing paranoia begins affecting his relationship with his parents and the people around him.

It's an amazing movie. Kind of art house, jet black humor, and some great acting. It's also very unsettling because it is set from the point of view of the boy so you feel his fear and angst and nervousness around his parents. It is super weird and I super recommend it!
½ March 9, 2015
Strange.... Boring, but strange
February 8, 2014
'My parents are so weird! Who knows what they get up to when the kids aren't watching?' That's one of the themes of this bizarre blend of deeply disturbing horror, black comedy, and goofy satire from actor-director Bob Balaban, which parodies the 1950s cultural milieu with enough vinegar to make even David Lynch squirm uncomfortably. Barely noticed by either critics or mainstream audiences on its initial release, Parents is all but forgotten today, which is a pity since, as far as I'm concerned, it's a marvelous film...until the disappointing ending which feels more like a conventional slasher film than a genre-bending existential rumination. The music, set design, and cinematography are all superbly evocative of the period, while perfectly balancing a deep sense of menace. The performances of Randy Quaid and Mary Beth Hurt as the titular characters, Bryan Madorsky as their troubled little boy, and the late Sandy Dennis as a concerned school counselor are excellent as well. Watch it!
½ January 18, 2014
I had no idea Bob Balaban was behind this bizarro film, but he really gives us a crazy comedy set in the '50s where conformity is everything and behind those white picket fences you just never know what you might find. A kid begins to suspect that his parents aren't serving up the meat that you'd expect to find in the neighborhood grocery store, and who knows how far they'll go to hide their secrets?

Fun stuff, definitely worth a rental.
½ January 15, 2014
I seen this as a child and it totally freaked me out. Watched it recently and realised it's awful and I was scared because I was a child when I originally watched it. Poor.
January 10, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie.......i think that randy quaid, mary beth hurt, sandy dennis (.R.I.P.), bryan madorsky, kathryn grody, graham jarvis (.R.I.P.), wayne robson (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/horror/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.........i think that this is such a cult classics movie 2 watch.....its such a really funny movie 2 watch.......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie.......i think that this is a great movie for 1989 its got a great cast throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a great black comedy movie 2 watch its such a really funny movie 2 watch.......i think that randy quaid was brilliant throughout this movie.....i think that sandy dennis was brilliant thorughout this movie.......its got good special effects throughout this movie....i think that this is such a great movie 2 watch it is such a classics movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a good comedy movie 2 watch its such a classics/cult movie 2 watch......i think that the special effects thorughout this movie were really good throughout this movie......i think that beth hurt was brilliant throughout this movie......i think that this is such a cult classics movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is a great 1980's movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie.....i think that the special effects throughout this movie were really good.....i think that this is such a classics movie 2 watch its a really funny movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a great cult classics movie 2 watch its so funny movie 2 watch.....
December 7, 2013
Messed up stuff, this movie can easily make the whole world vegetarian
October 20, 2013
An offbeat horror-comedy that is fun to watch.
October 7, 2013
The parents was a really great ovie I loved it it kept you wanting more from the beginning this movie is a classic awesome movie 5 stars
September 5, 2013
Lots of style, little substance, no comedy
½ August 9, 2013
The story is confusing despite being utterly insane with a mask. There is a lot of meat in the film, and eventually it makes you want to give it up all together. Nothing makes a lot of sense, and the film gets a bit hard to explain.
½ March 16, 2013
One of the most boring, senseless horror films since 'Motel Hell.'
February 18, 2013
Kind of like if David Lynch made a "Goosebumps" episode. A feature length movie episode.