Paris When It Sizzles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Paris When It Sizzles Reviews

July 16, 2017
ridiculous storyline, but good scenery
½ June 26, 2017
I'd forgotten I love this delightful film
½ May 30, 2017
I had to make sure that my 1000th review was special, and what's more special than a romantic comedy starring Audrey Hepburn and set in the most romantic city in the world, Paris? Well, Paris When it Sizzles isn't the most Hepburn film, nor is it probably her best film set in Paris, but it represents everything that I love about her short lived career, dreamy, innocent, and always fun.

More along the lines of a classic spoof than a true romantic comedy, Paris When it Sizzles is a valiant effort in trying to comment on Hollywood filmmaking and all of the frustrating tropes most movies use. I guess in some ways it's like taking Deadpool's style of 4th wall breaking humor, just without all of the blood, violence, and language. It's that innocence and fantastical nature of Paris When it Sizzles that is really appealing, even if all of the jokes and gags don't necessarily hold up.

Considering this film was essentially forced upon Audrey Hepburn and William Holden because of a clause in their contracts, it's no wonder that the story feels all over the place. Perhaps adding to the dreamy feel, Gabrielle and Richard fall in love with each other while writing a Hollywood script, and spend the majority of the film acting out scenes from their script which mirrors just how obscure the plot can get. Nowhere near as moving or magical as last year's La La Land, but it certainly captures the essence of how everyone wishes they could fall in love. For that alone, I appreciate Paris When it Sizzles for its carelessness and almost charming irreverence it goes about telling its story.

I think where the movie fails is that every time you feel like you're getting invested in Gabrielle and Richard's romance, the movie thrusts back into the adventures of Gaby and Rick on the streets of Paris. Obviously the stories should feel one and the same, but I actually found myself more invested in what was going on in the writer's room (apartment) than I did when the two are spooking their various films of their careers.

Even with a plot that wanders like no other and a script that feels like a bunch of sketches thrown together, it's hard not to get behind what Holden and Hepburn are doing here. Especially when you find out how in love Holden was with her at the time, it adds another layer to their relationship on screen. Plus, it's hard to go wrong with anything Audrey Hepburn does, right? I knew it was a good idea to make this my 1000th review.

+1000

+Another dreamy and fantastical romance

+Spoof of sorts

-Get lost in the fake characters

7.0/10
September 27, 2016
Funny movie with Hepburn and Holden doing great performances. Super movie. Funny and clever. Well done. Super film.
December 16, 2015
An oily and commitment-phobic William Holden schmoozes and boozes Audrey Hepburn until she agrees to be his Bastille Day date.
November 22, 2015
Interesting story on how Audrey helps a script writer get over his writing block
January 20, 2015
Lousy, lousy movie; pretty, pretty Lambretta
January 2, 2015
This story has the cleverness of a door slamming. It's full of nonsense where Hollywood thinks it going to play it cute with the audience by throwing some beautiful people and a bunch of cameos together.
December 13, 2014
what was tony curtis doing here?! :D
½ October 4, 2014
Not a true classic film, but it is engaging enough due to its charismatic stars, Hepburn and Holden and the Paris setting. Worth a watch on a cloudy weekend afternoon.
½ September 4, 2014
Another film, similar to Jean-Luc Godard's 1963 film Contempt, about the script writing of a film. We see visuals of the scenes being acted out as they are written by Audrey and William's characters, and like in Contempt, art imitates life as the characters fall in love. I prefer Audrey's other films with deeper plot.
July 23, 2014
Clearly they thought that because the movie was self-referential, that automatically made it witty. It had a couple of good gags, but it was mostly Audrey Hepburn's charm that carried the movie, rather than the script.
July 3, 2014
A film within a film and an interesting timepiece in cinema, almost post-modern with its story if it wasn't produced so commercially within its era. There's no proper plot, just a brooding love story among whimsical episodic fantasy, but it works and includes a fair few cameos.
February 19, 2014
A little bit of a misfire, but Audrey Hepburn delivers the goods just like always, which helps save this film.
January 11, 2014
Campy post-modern fun.
January 10, 2014
Doubtlessly wouldn't be entertaining if not for its leads, but manages some funny moments anyway. Enjoyable piffle.
½ October 7, 2013
If "Sabrina" was one of Audrey Hepburn's best films, then "Paris When It Sizzles" is one of her worst. I couldn't even get past the first fifteen minutes; it's just so random and ridiculous.
May 19, 2013
Incredibly brilliantly excellently fantastically amazing just like the rest of Audrey Hepburn's movies and it touch my heart and it's inspiring just like the rest if Audrey Hepburn's movies with an incredibly brilliantly excellently fantastically amazing performance from Audrey Hepburn just like in the rest of her movies. They mentioned a lot of Audrey Hepburn's movies in this movie like they mentioned My Fair Lady and Breakfast At Tiffany's but that's one of the reasons I love this movie
April 29, 2013
It's silly, satirical, humourous & somewhat romantic & a bit uneven. Now Hepburn almost always sizzles as one of those truly special movie stars & William Holden does a decent job in his role but Paris When it Sizzles kinda works & kinda doesn't.
January 23, 2013
The reteaming of Hepburn and Holden ten years after the excellent Sabrina is not a success. The plot and dialogue are insipid, and Holden has transitioned from hot snarky playboy to skeezy drunk lounge lizard.