Parked - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parked Reviews

½ June 25, 2012
really more a drama then a comedy good effort but really there could be so much more.
April 6, 2012
A very moving story about an unlikely friendship between two homeless men living in their cars, trying to get by day by day. A sad but beautiful film.
April 1, 2012
Meaney defines he balls, good support from Colin Morgan, a nice little independent flick
March 19, 2012
Really good movie, don't expect to be laughing out loud though.
March 14, 2012
Bit slow but not bad
March 1, 2012
Neither happy nor sad; Neither told nor untold; This movie just can't find its place.
December 4, 2011
A film about a man called Fred who returns to Ireland after a long period away with nowhere to live but his car. The film starts with a simple montage showing us how insanely proud Fred still is, and we see throughout the film of how he still keeps his pride throughout it all. Fred then meets Cathal, a young drug addict, who is just expertly played by Colin Morgan.

I'm not exactly sure how to explain the rest of the film. It shows Freds journey of finding his life again, gaining inspiration from Cathal along the way.

I'll be honest and say I wasn't really expecting much from this film, but it really surprised me. What it was, was a truly emotional journey of the lives of two people who just didn't have any luck in life. Nothing was going there way, yet in a way they had it all. It was both hilarious and highly emotional and left you reeling from emotion at the end.

The end was bittersweet in so many ways.

I'm not good at writing reviews, flailing is more my kind of praise, but if you watch one film in 2012, let it be this one.

Colm Meaney and Colin Morgan both give outstanding performances, and this film is a slice of heaven to watch.
October 29, 2011
Lovely story, great actors, but bad filming (at times is looks like a TV reality show).
October 16, 2011
Up until now, it‚(TM)s been a pretty amazing year for Irish film. The Irish film industry has had success after success. Enjoyable movie, after enjoyable movie. And I‚(TM)m really glad to say that trend is now continuing, thanks to Parked.

It‚(TM)s the story of Fred (Colm Meaney) who lives in his car, in a seaside car park. A man of few words and at the same time a man who‚(TM)s face tells a thousand tales. In between failed attempts at signing on the dole and successful fiddling with clocks, Fred‚(TM)s existence is as barren as the ocean landscape he see‚(TM)s through his windscreen. That is until Cathal (Colin Morgan) turns up, complete with his own car and drug addiction. Cathal almost instantaneously brightens up Fred‚(TM)s bleak little world and the two become close friends, getting into a scrape or 2 along the way. As they grow closer, Cathal encourages Fred to ask out Jules, an attractive music teacher, and at the same time Fred attempts to get Cathal clean and sober.

There‚(TM)s only one way to describe Parked. And that‚(TM)s mesmerizing. Firstly, this isn‚(TM)t the type of role many people are used to seeing Colm Meaney in. Whilst Parked has a few comedic moments, these are quite natural, and not in the usual ‚Jaaayyyyssssuuuussss‚? Meaney style. His face just sucks you into his world and within the first few minutes, you are genuinely feeling sorry for character and are completely rooting for him. At times, Colm Meaney‚(TM)s performance is almost hypnotic. It‚(TM)s almost like a real life documentary at times, and that is testament to a really, award winning performance. I‚(TM)d go as far as saying, it‚(TM)s Meany‚(TM)s best performance to date. His on screen counterpart is played by Colin Morgan, who again, is equally outstanding. His portrayal of a junkie is incredibly honest and heart warming at times. And if there was ever a huge star in the making, Morgan is it.

At 94 minutes, Parked isn‚(TM)t exactly what you‚(TM)d call a long movie. But, man, do you get value for money. There‚(TM)s not a moment goes by where it‚(TM)s not evoking some emotion out of the audience. It‚(TM)s gripping. It‚(TM)s heart warming and heart breaking. It‚(TM)s incredibly well timed, given the current economic climate . And for me, and I don‚(TM)t know why, there is something genuinely magical seeing Colm Meaney on the streets of Dublin (albeit short lived). From a directorial point, Darragh Byrne seems to make every second count and the performances he has gotten out his cast is phenomenal.

It‚(TM)s a movie that tragically, won‚(TM)t be for everybody as It is quite dark, in tone and style. If I had to be really critical, I would have like to get a bit more background to Meaney‚(TM)s character and it feels slightly rushed towards the end. That aside, this is a movie that will have a profound effect on the those who go to see it. And whilst it‚(TM)s not something I‚(TM)d be rushing out to watch again, it leaves such a mark, it doesn‚(TM)t matter. It‚(TM)ll be parked in your head for some time to come! A must watch!
½ April 6, 2011
A little predictable, but very good show. Nice, understated performances all around.
March 25, 2011
I took the bus from NYC to Boston just to see this movie at the Irish Film Festival. It was worth the trip! This movie is incredible. The performances are amazing, the writing is beautiful, the music is haunting. It has a very disjointed feel, but it works with the script. Fred (Colm Meaney) and Cathal (Colin Morgan) had a strange friendship, but yet you could tell how much they needed each other to complete their journeys. Colm Meaney was spot-on casting as Fred, but Colin Morgan's portrayal of Cathal was absolutely incredible. He embodied the role of a junkie so well, I almost didn't recognize him (nor was I able to understand about 1/4 of his lines through his accent!). This is not a happy movie, but it is uplifting in a My Girl sort of way. If you have the chance to see this movie, I highly recommend that you do. You will not regret it!