Parkland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parkland Reviews

December 3, 2014
C'etait interessant, mais j'avais l'impression d'écouter un documentaire, un dimanche matin, au canal D...
November 27, 2014
i really enjoyed it. ...informative!
November 22, 2014
Definitely a great movie with an a star cast! Must see movie about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
November 22, 2014
Nice look into the supporting characters of the Kennedy assassination.
October 27, 2014
"Parkland" sells itself as the story of the events at Parkland hospital on the day John F. Kennedy was shot, but it's not. It's the story of doctors and nurses at Parkland hospital, and the story of Abraham Zapruder, and the story of Lee Harvey Oswald's brother, and the story of an FBI agent who was tracking Oswald, and the story of the head of the Secret Service in Dallas ... all mixed together with no connecting thread. Parts of it are quite interesting, but there's no coherent story being told, and really, no reason to be watching these particular stories as opposed to the dozens of other stories from that day.
½ October 20, 2014
Good film, & insight into the day of, and three days that followed the assassination.
½ October 19, 2014
Well , seen Colin Hanks getting better by the movie , didn't know Tom Hanks helpt producing it ...Found it very interesting and didn't know that something happening like that made such an impact on all the people involved...Learn't somethings again !
½ October 13, 2014
A not so bad drama documentary. An up close look at events that happened in the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It was a little dry but it was the nature of the movie.
½ October 12, 2014
Slick and very well acted dramatisation of those four days in November.
September 20, 2014
Like i dont know what Zac Efron role was exactly but well..good movie
September 5, 2014
Friday, September 5, 2014

(2013) Parkland

I'd be a millionaire, if I can get a dollar to physically see how every person died that's important in my life. I mean, seriously do I really need to see President John Fitzgerald Kennedy in gory detail on an operating table, as well as Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to be revived at the "Parkland hospital. At this point, I'm going to have say this is where a line should be drawn since it neither provides anything new we don't know ourselves. What had happened before with the secret service those same mistakes shouldn't happen again. But it's like all of this is already common knowledge. What is there to gain from viewers watching this. I'm going to have to say it's more relevant for fanatics of the 'assassination of JFK' who don't know how to let things go. If this movie showcases the way it was in the way JFK was shot, how come there was no mentioning in regards to the bullet. Why didn't the filmmakers address that? Because it didn't, meaning that it's only limited to a few people affected out of many. I don't hate it but it's plot less and boring.

2 out of 4 stars
September 4, 2014
Riveting account of the chaotic events that occurred following Presient Kennedy's assassination in Dallas. Named for the hospital where Kennedy was taken, Parkland weaves together the perspectives of a handful of ordinary individuals suddenly thrust into extraordinary circumstances: the doctors and nurses at Parkland Hospital; Dallas's chief of the Secret Service; an unwitting cameraman who captured what became the most famous home movie in history; the FBI agents who were visited by Lee Harvey Oswald before the shooting; Oswald's brother and mother; and JFK's political and security team, witnesses to both the president's death and the makeshift inauguration of Lyndon Johnson.

By looking at the tragedy from a number of different viewpoints, Parkland effectively conveys the confusion and horror that surrounded Kennedy's killing. We can see how unprepared everyone in Dallas was that day, and how they all struggled to grasp the devastating implications of it. The pacing, especially in the first half hour, is tight, creating a palpable sense of the bombshell that just hit. The most interesting sections focus on the Secret Service agents, one of whom comments that they're the first in their job ever to lose a president, and on Abraham Zapruder who filmed the assassination on his home camera. Outstandingly portrayed by Giamatti, the Zapruder we see here despises the fact that he filmed the killing. While he cooperates with authorities, he's well aware that the images captured by his camera will be seen by the public, and that deeply troubles him.

The first-rate cast includes James Badge Dale (as Robert Oswald), Marcia Gay Harden (as a head nurse), Billy Bob Thornton (as a Secret Service officer), Ron Livingstone (as an FBI agent haunted by the fear that he may have inadvertently dismissed the threat posed by Oswald), Paul Giamatti (as Abraham Zapruder), Zac Efron (as a young trauma doctor), Jacki Weaver (as Oswald's mother), Tom Welling, Jeremy Strong, Jackie Earle Hayley, Gary Clarke, and Kat Steffens (as a poignantly affecting Jacqueline Kennedy). Each character has their moment to shine and Landesman manages to get some of the best performances from his cast in the moments that highlight the confusion and uncertainty that everyone was feeling on that day. An example of this is the chaotic scene in the operating room where Nurse Nelson is the first to take charge and get the team moving. The situation is highlighted by the fact that the Secret Service, F.B.I. agents and government officials all want to be in the operating room. Also, the frenetic attempts to get Kennedy's coffin aboard Air Force One and the struggle to remove seats so the coffin did not have to be transported in the cargo hold.

Of all the characters in the film, it is Paul Giamatti's portrayal of Abraham Zapruder who is the fastest to recognize the enormity of the event. He knows right away that he has filmed the death of a President and is instantly aware that his film footage will change the fortunes of his family forever. This is brought home by Zapruder's reluctance to hand over a copy of the film to Life Magazine only after they agreed that they would not publish the kill shot. Later he remarks that he wished he had never shot the footage. Parkland shows the extent that Zapruder and the head of the Dallas Secret Service, played by well Billy Bob Thornton, went to have the film developed. The reflectionon Zapruder's eyeglasses as he watches the assassination for the first time is memorable.

Parkland includes an angle not commonly explored in other films about Kennedy's assassination: the reaction by Oswald's family after the shooting, particularly his brother. This is emphasized by a Dallas police officer advising Robert Oswald, well portrayed by James Badge Dale, to leave Texas with the rest of his family and change his name, implying that they would not be safe if they remained in the State. It also touched upon Oswald's burial, in which Robert Oswald had to ask reporters to serve as pall bearers because no one else would. He contrasted well with Jacki Weaver as Oswald's mother Marguerite Oswald who had the deluded notion that her son was actually a government agent assigned to kill Kennedy. She even believes a potential book deal could come out of this tragedy.

Parkland moves at a rapid clip. It explores areas of the shooting and aftermath that have been underrepresented on film. He takes the audience through the events leading up to, and after, one of the most significant moments in American history. At the heart of the film is two very different attempts to save a life and two very different funerals. The scenes in the hospital are so closely shot that you feel like you are right there as the events are unraveling. Landesman's use of hand held cameras heightens the sense of panic and chaos that must have occurred in the operating room as the doctors struggled to save Kennedy. Parkland is a well shot and well-acted drama and is a powerful portrayal of a hugely substantial event in American history. It is compelling and the performances - especially Giamatti's and Dale's - are strong. Parkland" has a documentary-like feel at times. Kennedy is shot seven and a half minutes in; and he's dead 22 minutes in; but the movie is not about him, but rather those who were touched by his violent death. While not bound for classic status, the film still manages to capture a moment in time that changed our country.
½ September 4, 2014
9/4/14..Starz 410

A good movie that was able to capture the emotion in Parkland after JFK was shot. Excellent cast but nothing new from a historical perspective. Liked it, didn't love it.
August 21, 2014
A great all star cast can't save this uneven story that explores the few hours and days after the death of JFK. The first 30 minutes is very intense, but that intensity just devolves into a very melodramatic script and very pedestrian direction. This film had so much potential but unfortunately just misses the mark.
August 11, 2014
Late review : it 's August 2014 and I just watched Parkland. I was deeply moved by this movie, because it successfully demystifies one of the greatest trauma's in American history. At that same time it shows an historical bottom-up view of the shock this event had on the people who were confronted with it from close by. The film requires some notion of the political atmosphere in the early sixties to truly understand the impact this assassination had nationally and also internationally. No great theories here, it leaves the viewer behind with a seemingly chaotic reality behind which deep emotions emerge, invested in a man who was held a living symbol of the American Dream. Personally : best movie I've seen in years !
August 6, 2014
An ok film, they could of done more to the film. It left off wanting more. I just think that the writing wasn't that good, charaters weren't fully developed. I wouldn't want to watch this film again or buy it on Blu-Ray. B-
½ July 31, 2014
I mean it's alright but I dont know much else
½ July 25, 2014
Intriguing in perspective shifts, cinematography, and narrative structure, Parkland is a smart and well put-together film that stands as a historical epic.
July 21, 2014
Far and away the most poignant and heart-rendering film ever made about the assassination of one of our most beloved Presidents. Have no illusions about this story, it is not easy to watch, Kennedy's murder was always something we learned about in Hollywood blockbusters, this was far more personal. People will say there was nothing new about the examination of the Kennedy assassination, but seeing it through the eyes of the Secret Service, the medical team who tried to save him, his staff and most tragically, his wife made it feel far more powerful than anything I've seen before. It's nothing short of unforgettable, but be prepared to be shaken to your core.
½ July 21, 2014
What was the point???? Boring.