The Parole Officer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Parole Officer Reviews

½ August 30, 2015
* As a fan of Steve Coogan and his style of comedy, this was a decent film without ever being excellent.
* Thought there was a believable amount of chemistry between Steve Coogan and Lena Headey, even though this was only really explored sparingly.
September 20, 2014
Not the best of coogan's work but still ok. Some decent jokes but a very cheesy ending.
½ May 15, 2014
Not sure whether to give this film 2.5 or 3 stars. It certainly features one of Britain's best comedic actors, Steve Coogan, who also helped write the film, and he certainly helps make the film better than it would've been otherwise. On the other hand, the film has some very Americanized attempts at broad humor. The roller coaster scene, for one, wouldn't have felt out of place in an Adam Sandler movie, but in a British comedy it does. Not to say that Britain doesn't have its Adam Sandler-like comedians, who don't really put forth an effort when it comes to their films. They just do what the lowest common denominator wants, dick and fart jokes. Most British humor is more sophisticated than that, it is cleverly written and beautifully delivered by its actors. Hell, as an example of this, this film has a small 20-second cameo, from Simon Pegg, pre-Shaun of The Dead and only known to fans of Spaced by this point, and his appearance was a highlight of the film. He's funny without saying absolutely anything, just using his facials expression to tell his character's 'story'. I don't even know how, or why, I got into this rant. Long story short is that this film has some attempts at broad humor, and slapstick, that don't really work with some of the same things the film does well, like its main character quick-witted delivery and some really good dialogue. The film is amateurishly shot and directed, the cinematography isn't particularly outstanding. The poster itself looks like it was done for less than $20. Not that that has any relevance on how the film turned out, but it's clear this film didn't really have the biggest budget to get the best director, and cinematographer, possible. With that said, I'd say this film was fun. The story is goofy, it has no pretentious of grandeur and that's always a positive in my book. If it was pretending to be something it wasn't, like the next coming of Monty Python, then it'd be easy to point and laugh at the absurdity of the film trying to achieve that standard of greatness. But it doesn't, and that makes the film far easier, and fun, to watch even if it's not a perfect, or even good, film. Yes, you can have fun with a film that you find average overall. This is taking everything into consideration from writing, acting, directing, cinematography, score, etc. So I wouldn't say it's a good film, so therefore I can't really recommend it, I enjoyed myself watching this film. It's 90 minutes of pure silliness, with some moments of greatness here and there.
May 4, 2014
A whole bunch of convoluted madcap. Silly, but perhaps not stupid enough for fans of the genre. Their loss.
March 28, 2014
A mostly entertaining crime caper despite some typecast performances and a large dollop of hokum.
January 31, 2013
Good for a British movie and it's goofy
January 22, 2013
Not particularly clever or funny, but I really came around to like those characters. Wonderful ensemble. They make this otherwise passable heist film worthwhile.
December 3, 2012
LOL Such a great movie
½ October 24, 2012
Steve Coogan is magnificant. Worth a watch nonetheless.
½ August 26, 2012
This was so hilarious has an awesome cast Steve Coogan is brilliant & so funny look out for Simon Pegg's cameo if you can
July 12, 2012
I really enjoyed this film. the cast were just perfect for who they played in the film. I liked that it didn't try to be more than what it was and that was good anyway. i nice british comedy that doesn't stretch itself.
May 1, 2012
A little broad, but still cute. No points for originality here, but a lot points for Steve Coogan.
April 10, 2012
A rather silly film that makes up for it's simplistic and predictable story with a large amount of charm.
March 15, 2012
Steve Coogan is comedic gold, but "The Parole Officer" is a completely sub-par film. Granted, Coogan has a couple of funny moments here and there, but for the most part, the film is formulaic, boring, and decidedly unfunny. Not a good start for Coogan in the business.
December 23, 2011
Fun, if in truth pretty weak, comedy. Feels like the script was written one afternoon in a cafe in Manchester but there are a few laugh out loud moments......just a few mind.
½ December 19, 2011
An enjoyable comedy although the roller coaster scene seemed out of place in it.
½ December 14, 2011
still very funny,decent plot coogan should do more films like this with the same humour
½ July 11, 2011
Familiar plot, but Steve Coogan makes worth the effort.
July 6, 2011
A parole officer and the criminals he's reformed raid a bank vault to retrieve evidence of a murder perpetrated by a corrupt police inspector. I misremembered it as 'The Patrol Officer' for the longest time.