Parting Glances - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Parting Glances Reviews

½ April 30, 2009
Watched this again after many many years and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed. A snap shot of life in NYC in the mid 80's in the midst of AIDS hysteria. The love story still stands up well as does the positive portrayal of the characters considering it was 1985!
January 5, 2009
"Parting Glances"
was in 1986 ahead of it's time with the way it handled the subject matter of AIDS.
"Steve Buscemi" is just as amazing an actor then as he is now in his break out role as a somewhat washed up rocker with HIV/Aids.
The main storyline is that of His Character"Nick's) ex Michael "Richard Ganoung" dealing with his lover going to Africa on a long business assignment while still loving and tending to "Nick" Buscemi's Character,making sure he eats and takes his meds.
In Michael's heart Nick will always be the love of his life and thats bitter sweet.
Enter the club scenes at The Limelight"they dont mention it,but I have been to that club enough to know that's where it was filmed" and the party scenes with all the steriotypical characters,"the over weight effeminent bitter vicious gay man","The ever so undestanding overweight fag hag" played well by Kathy Kinney " of Drew Carey fame. The young promiscuous pretty boy.etc..
I very much enjoyed the movie and it still holds up today,even more so for it's nostalgic merit.
August 12, 2008
one of the better gay movies
August 10, 2008
Ben le résumé dit à peu près tout...
½ August 2, 2008
Whoa...super-young Buscemi. How strange.
½ July 9, 2008
This movie was terrible. Typical pathetic and stereotypical portrayal of the gay characters.
½ July 8, 2008
Om homoifili uten ?¥ v?¦re teit eller ukomfortabelt. Skikkelig 80-tallsstemning, med en del kul musikk. Steve Buscemi og hans rolle utmerker seg.
May 31, 2008
The ONLY good thing about this movie was Steve Buscemi. Granted, he was amazing enough to watch to the end, just to see what he did next, and I give this movie MAD MAD props for having the sickly, dying-from-AIDS character still alive at the end (there are SO few movies that allow the AIDS character to live), but the storyline was convoluted and poorly structured. The actors were unconvincing. The dialogue was forced. It was not a really good movie.
May 27, 2008
This movie is totally 80's. Funny while touching some seriousness.
April 19, 2008
I have got to see this movie!
½ February 27, 2008
sweet story, beautifully written and shot.
February 24, 2008
In my opinion this is still one of the best--if not THE best--films dealing with contemporary gay life.
½ February 23, 2008
It may be a little a little rough around the edges, but it felt very genuine and holds up even after 25 years. It certainly was a bold and pioneering for a gay film made in the 1980s, in the middle of the AIDS scare.
February 3, 2008
early steve bushimi, as one of many gay guys living in newyork in 80s, with aids full throw, and relationships tested, cutting edge in a way as this was shot in 86, so a very relevent film at time, and great seeng a young bushimi, n
January 19, 2008
To watch it today, it might seem a bit dated, but it's hard to believe that in 1986, we had seen very few films like this before, with positive and realistic portrayals of gay characters. The film had a huge impact on me, as a newly-out 22-year-old, and helped launch the revolution in independent GLBT filmmaking that was to follow.
½ January 1, 2008
One of the best gay movies I've seen, the people are so believably real, instead of weird caricatures of those living in the real world, it's funny and nostalgic.
November 20, 2007
[You commented on this movie]
Comments:
really crap ~

really crap ~
November 20, 2007
Steve Buscemi's AIDS victim is written and portrayed originally, with respect and understanding. It is unfortunate that the rest of the film doesn't live up to his character or performance. Not that any of it is bad, it has just been done better in other films.
November 18, 2007
Need a reason to believe in Queer Cinema again? Watch and learn.
½ November 11, 2007
A defining moment in "gay" cinema.