The Passion of Darkly Noon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Passion of Darkly Noon Reviews

½ January 19, 2015
Its definitely interesting. I wouldn't say its bad just that it wasn't for me. Its like a weird Fairy Tale for grown folks. The ending was fucking cool doh.
½ May 21, 2014
An off-beat, haunting, overwrought fairy tale for adults. The Passion of Darkly Noon is indie cinema as opera - huge, iconic, occasionally ridiculous, sometimes moving, undisputedly spectacular.
October 3, 2013
A great little Lynchian film charged with sexual tension, religious terror and wonderful acting.
½ March 6, 2013
A truly bizarre film featuring a lot of future stars (Brendan Fraser, Viggo Mortensen, and Ashley Judd), The Passion of Darkly Noon follows a young man who escapes from a cult and attempts to fit in with a modern couple living in a rural location. Unfortunately, Darkly''s (yes, that's his name) love for the beautiful young woman begins to drive him insane once her mute boyfriend returns. Intensely strange and definitely original, The Passion of Darkly Noon delivers a few moments of twistedness but ultimately fails to entirely make up for its somewhat idiotic aesthetic.
½ December 15, 2012
Woa! Brendan shows his dark side!
August 22, 2012
Stunning film. Ridley creates an seemingly idyllic life for Ashley Judd and Viggo Mortensen and then reminds us you can't escape the past or avoid the present as he tears it apart. Multi-layered story that really deserves an analysis as opposed to a review. Suffice it to say that is beautifully filmed, scored, and acted. Very well done, touching and worth seeing.
August 16, 2012
I couldnt stop laughing the whole way through.
½ April 27, 2012
The Passion of Darkly Noon (Philip Ridley, 1995)

Ah, 1995. I vaguely remember all the teenaged girls swooning over this movie back in the day. I assume it had something to do with Brendan Fraser's naked backside, which appears briefly. This is back when both Fraser and a deliciously sensual Ashley Judd's stars both eclipsed that of their co-star, an already well-traveled, but not yet A-list, actor named Viggo Mortensen. (In fact, it was the trifecta of this film, The Prophecy, and Albino Alligator, all released in 1995-96, that really propelled Mortensen into the public conscioiusness in a way he hadn't been previously. Then along came Peter Jackson, and the rest is history.) Because of all the fangirl-worship, I always pushed this one onto the backburner when it came to actually sitting down and checking it out; I shouldn't have.

As we open, Darkly Noon (Fraser), the only son of a now-deceased strictly religioius couple, regains consciousness in the woods. (Given his injuries, I think we are to assume there was some sort of vehicular accident; we find out later what really went down.) He finds his way to a dirt road and stumbles down it for a while, eventually almost getting hit by Jude (Apollo 13's Loren Dean), a delivery guy who's one of the only people from the nearby town who is willing to interact with a couple of local outcasts, Callie (Judd) and her currently-absent boyfriend Clay (Mortensen). Jude drops him there, and Callie nurses him back to health. Darkly has never met anyone quite like Callie, overtly sensual and free-spirited; it doesn't take long before his religious beliefs are butting heads with his attraction to her. This is exacerbated when Clay comes home, and then even further when Darkly, on a walk in the woods, meets Roxy (Twin Peaks' Grace Zabriskie), who has quite a grudge against Callie...

I'm pretty sure Ridley (Heartless) wanted this movie to feel like a dream, despite the realist nature of the cinematography (nothing is ever in soft focus here, and as Captain Peacock was wont to say, "thank heaven for that."). It's the only way to pass off some of the movie's sillier scenes (more than once I was put in mind of that annoying blowing plastic bag in American Beauty) and still like it as much as I did. The acting is impeccable all around, the movie is usually well-paced (there are a couple of early scenes that drag like Ashley Judd's shift over her nipples), and the subject matter is just crazy all the way around. Did I mention Lou Myers (A Different World) doing his best Garrett Morris impersonation as the town's undertaker/ex-preacher? Fun stuff indeed. *** 1/2
February 9, 2012
One word to describe this movie? Yooooooooooooo!
½ July 29, 2011
Strange, intermittently inpressive but mostly obscure and boring film.
½ July 24, 2011
Difficult movie that should make anyone sad. Tension abounds.
July 9, 2011
I only remember seeing this film on television about 10 years ago (wow), and it seemed a slow paced indie film but its certainly hurtled towards a conclusion by the end. I'm pleased to find its on DVD again so that I can check it out again. I can also now note the all star cast in early roles.
½ June 9, 2011
"Darkly noon - le jour du châtiment"
June 6, 2011
What the fuck???????
March 5, 2011
This started quite well and had a promising storyline but became really boring and the ending was just stupid.
February 10, 2011
Depressing and unnerving movie. Great performance by Brendan Fraser but not a happy film.
½ January 2, 2011
It deserves mention that this movie was terrible. I really liked the ideas, characters and plot behind the story, but they did not come to life the way it was written, directed and edited. All star cast! They're all stars that I really like when they're not working for Disney. I have no idea how Phillip Ridley made this movie happen.
December 17, 2010
Das war mal ein bannig verrückter Streifen. Phasenweise gut und mal hatte das Ganze auch Schwächen, doch das gewisse Etwas haben die Filme von Philip Ridley immer.
3/5
½ July 23, 2010
I liked it, though not all of it and I will never be able to watch a Brendan Fraiser movie again without thinking of him as a total psycho, but still and Judd and Mortensen are great
July 18, 2010
An intersting idea unfortunately badly executed. I think Phillip Ridley could have done with some serious guidance here from a ecent editor and forceful producer. It needs to be a great deal shorter and visually some points are driven home several times when just one subtle nod would have done. They kind of lost me with the floating sparkly shoe.