The Passionate Friends - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Passionate Friends Reviews

½ January 6, 2015
I don't like this movie as much as Brief Encounter, but it is good enough to surprise you that a director of this sensibility to portray the subtle tremors of the heart made The Bridge of the River Kwai and Passage of India.
½ December 13, 2014
i love how it tries to tell us :)
½ April 21, 2014
A frank look at how well a pragmatic marriage might work in spite of the occasional stirrings of passion and sentiment. It should be noted that HG Wells (on whose story this is based) often wrote of consequences which took a few decades to be fully appreciated. Bring a clean hankie.
March 26, 2014
well crafted brit rom-dram from the director of 'brief encounter' which would make a gr8 dbl feature with this.
½ May 31, 2012
It's hard not to describe this as an alternative Brief Encounter. It is not in the same league as David Lean's original, mainly due to the fact that it lacks Celia Johnson, who gave Brief Encounter so much of its heart and sensitivity, and the story itself isn't as strong, but Claude Rains is excellent in a sad and somewhat unsympathetic role, and there are certain shots towards the end of the film where Lean's excellence behind the camera shines through.
October 5, 2011
I don't know - it's not exactly bad, but at the same time it reminds you of several better known films and there's a good reason those are better known.
½ August 4, 2011
I forgot to review this when I watched it and can't remember exactly why I liked it quite as much as I did.
½ June 7, 2011
The title seems more like an erotic women's novel than a David Lean directed film from an HG Wells novel. The movie is more a retreading of "Brief Encounter", but in this case of a woman's regret of not marrying the free spirited man from years ago. In some parts, I felt it was better than "Brief Encounter", but overall it was a melodrama about guilt, regret, and loss of time. And the final scene at the train tracks? Where else have I seen that before...?
March 12, 2009
being a Lean film i was real dissapointed about this film`s quality in both story and direction. it is still a decent film but not good enough for a Lean movie.
January 31, 2009
One of Lean's least known films but still very much the work of a fine creative talent (who makes an uncredited appearance as a speedboat driver). This is a kind of Brief Encounter 2 based on a novel by H G Wells of all people. Ann Todd is married to wealthy older Claude Rains but she can't forget her romance with Trevor Howard. Beautifully photographed in black and white, largely on European locations. A charming overlooked gem which doesn't outstay its welcome in under 90 minutes.
½ November 2, 2008
Some people are just so self destructive when faced with love. This is a tale of such a person. Wonderfully executed by Lean and sturdy performancs from Todd, Howard and Rains.
½ October 21, 2008
Everyones all about 'Brief Encounter', but this is very close ... possibly after a few more watches better. All three parties are represented a little better than in 'Brief Encounter', the man-married-to-the-cheating-woman is so interesting in this film - and Trevor Howard has a certain ... well ... possibly accurate assessment by Rains. I kinda side with Claude on this film, Howard seems quite sneaky ...
October 6, 2008
Just nothing special. Rains and Howard give decent performances, but Ann Todd in the central role is unfortuneatly weak. Just lacks the emotional obsession or technical brilliance of Lean's best work.
September 23, 2008
Sort of a Brief Encounter part 2 but not quite as good and with more glamorous characters.
The flashback structure didn't work so well and was rather confusing at times. The scenery and techniques were lovely but it wasn't until the last 40 minutes or so till I was really drawn in.
littlecharmer1959
September 18, 2008
½ September 15, 2008
Some nice love triangle screen chemistry doesn't really make up for a labouring love story.
½ September 14, 2008
kind of like a poorer version of brief encounter. there were just too many slow boring parts here. the further it went on the more interesting it got but the build up wasn't too watchable. good try but not decent in my book
September 10, 2008
skip this. watch brief encounter. blondie is a pain. julian barnes like tis. she keeps doing daft things.
½ August 25, 2008
Fine acting and filmmaking, but generally a melodramatic and slow movie.
½ August 23, 2008
Very good performances by Claude Rains, Trevor Howard, and Ann Todd highlight this story of emotional, if not physical, infidelity over the course of eight years. Beautiful photography on location in Switzerland by Guy Green. Directed by David Lean almost a decade before his "epic period".