Patagonia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Patagonia Reviews

½ September 19, 2012
A dual story with a fish out of water theme. I quite liked this film. Solid acting and the story of the old woman travelling to Wales had a nice arc and was genuinely told. The other one was more predictable and overplayed, a little bit too much like a soap opera transplanted to Argentina. Needless to say the cinematography is superb.
June 2, 2012
Beautiful, haunting scenery and some good acting. I loved the little old lady.
March 9, 2012
Marc Evans achieves the seemingly impossible and makes Wales look as exotic as Argentina in this ode to travelling and self- discovery.
March 4, 2012
Little gem of a movie: an unusual road movie with two parallel stories both starting and ending in Patagonia and Wales, two parts of the world that couldn't be more different, yet maybe they're not. Wonderful story telling. Love how the director stuck to the original languages. Photography is outstanding and the acting ain't bad either... Heartwarming, melancholic without getting sentimental or melodramatic.
January 15, 2012
The jorney of the emotinal life
January 9, 2012
Excelentes actuaciones. Una película bellísima estética y emocionalmente. Muy recomendable
½ December 29, 2011
Predictable movie to watch while distracted, with nice scenery in Wales & Welsh Argentina.
November 21, 2011
this was a delight and also nice to hear welsh spoken
September 23, 2011
A wonderful piece of thought-provoking and engaging cinema. It paints a picture of life and meaning, of journeys and encounters. If only more cinema nowadays were as beautiful and poignant as this!
½ September 18, 2011
Both strands, certainly, are never less than picturesque, showcasing Evans' still under-appreciated with landscape... The weakness is the human drama all these cameras are seeking to describe. Despite mature, capable work from the leads, the Patagonia strand does rather unfortunately feel like a love triangle drawn from producers S4C's top-rated soap "Pobol y Cwm" and transplanted to sunnier climes; back in Wales, meanwhile, we get an aimless plod around the valleys, enlivened by a slightly baffling, looks-good-on-the-poster cameo from Duffy as a local siren. Quietly, slowly absorbing in a way that makes for halfway acceptable matinee viewing, but quiet and slow it is, moving at roughly the pace we traditionally associate with continental drift: for an obvious labour of love, it can feel... well, a little laboured.
½ April 25, 2011
Enjoyed this more than I thought I would and that was down to the bright casting and cinematography. The distinction between the Patagonian landscape and Welsh valleys served well as a backdrop to the sad tale that unfolds, but just a little too slowly for my liking.
½ March 21, 2011
A lovely little Welsh film that grabs your attention and doesn't let go until the end. An emotional and interesting piece following the journeys of two women. Great acting and absolutely amazing cinematography. A very beautiful film.
March 14, 2011
Two completely unrelated stories are intercut to make a quite long movie.

Story number one: an old lady and a young man, both living in Patagonia, secretly go to Wales (against the young man's wishes) to trace her heritage.

Story number two: a Welsh speaking couple travel through Patagonia on a work assignment (the guy is a photographer). Their relationship is approaching a crisis or two.

The first story has a sense of humour and feels a bit like a sightseeing tour of Wales, ticking various boxes of "famous things about Wales" along the way. The second story is less funny. Both stories are entirely indie-infused in tone and could easily be shown at Sundance. Everything about the film is achingly Indie - the soundtrack, the sense of humour, the sensibilities.

It is also infused with Welsh patriotism, mellowed a bit by a self-deprecating sense of humour. This is a movie that tries to answer the question: what does it mean to be Welsh? What is different about Wales from other places? Who are the Welsh? It spends so much time and effort on this that this becomes impossible to ignore. You can almost imagine the film-makers saying something like "we wanted Wales to be a character in this film, not just a setting". I don't love Wales, not as a place and not as a character, so the movie was barking up the wrong tree in that regard.

The end result is a film that has echoes of the familiar. It probably resonates with Welsh people more than anyone else (it does not feel universal at all - it is so fiercely local that I can't imagine what my reaction would have been like if I did not live in Wales). It entertains, in a mellow kind of way, and entices the odd chuckle. But it never really builds up energy or excitement. It's watchable, indie, and, if it weren't set in lots of familiar places, bog-standard, by-the-numbers stuff.
½ March 9, 2011
Patagonia is the place in argentina, where in the 1800s a few hundred welshmen from turbulent times in wales made the journey to live a life that suited there needs. to speak welsh freely(the english outlawed it through the ages) and keep customs alive. here we see, in present day, two storys, one of a argentinian woman, making pilgrimage to wales with a companion in tow, to see for the last time, where her welsh mother was born and raised. and in the other story, a young welsh couple going to patagonia where one is going to take photos of welsh churches, the film celebrates to great sucess wales and its heritage but with two strong stories at forefront. both rely on the passion of welsh upbringing in both the welsh segment and in patagonia argentina, both are strong. a well acted drama from marc evans a director i admire.
March 6, 2011
An amazingly ambitious and accomplished primarily Welsh language film. The landscapes of both Argentina and Wales are breathtakingly captured and are the real stars of the movie. The two stories compliment each other well with the one set in Wales as light relief in comparison to the heavier Argentine one.