A Patch of Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Patch of Blue Reviews

December 9, 2013
Love is truly color blind. That briefly describes A Patch of Blue. A loving romantic film that tells the story of a blind girl who lives a life that is similar to a Cinderella fairy tale. Then meets a black man who teaches her everything that she haven't learn before by her abusive mother and drunken grandfather. The reason why I saw this flick is because I wanted to see Elizabeth Hartman beautiful performance, since she was amazing as voicing as one of my all time favorite character Mrs. Brisby from The Secret of NIMH. She does a great job acting as a blind girl who wants to know more about the world. Sidney Poitier as Gordon does good acting too as a kind lighthearted character for helping Selina out with her blindness and her own life decision of being independent. The one actress I don't understand for getting the most praise from is Shelly Winter as Rose- Ann. She a good actress, but not as good as winning an Oscar from Best Supporting Actress. Elizabeth Hartman should have own an Oscar for her performance, nope because it was competing against Julie Andrews and I cant debate over those too actresses. The film is an excellent romantic story than Titanic. It tells what true love is. True love isn't when you spend a few weeks with them and then believing its the right person, true love is when you help and care for a poor person who is living a miserable life with not one caring for them. Making sure they live an excellent life by helping them along the way though. Thats the message in A Patch of Blue. A message that I was actually surprised of, since I have never heard of it before. Its that message thats A Patch of Blue one of the best romantic films of all time.
October 27, 2013
A really nice heartwarming movie that must have been controversial at the time. Sidney poitier does a great job being charming likable and charismatic. After seeing him in this and in the heat of the night where is is more of a serious hard assI'm convinced hes a very talented actor. Elisabeth hartman was good but i she should have been just a little better looking. Shelly winters is the perfect white trash bitch. This movies only weakness its being slightly over the top a few times but its forgivable.
½ September 1, 2013
The premise seems a bit weak today, but the film worked.
July 17, 2013
Breaking our pre-concieved notions (biases) in a film which fires on all cylinders. Watch for Winters to nearly steal the show.
June 5, 2013
One of the best movies of the 60's, and deserved its Oscar nominations and wins!
½ June 20, 2012
i am addicted to love story and this one is moving and poignant..i love the end..one of my favourite movie.Selina is heartbreaking..:(
June 1, 2012
hella luv this movie!!! havent seen it in a long time.
May 24, 2012
Shelley Winters won the Oscar but the real acting is by Elizabeth Hartman as the abused and benighted blind girl. This is great!
May 11, 2012
Enjoyed everything this film had to offer & that's why it got 5 stars from me.
½ April 5, 2012
This film about a blind girl in a dysfunctional family, who is befriended by Sidney Poitier is a good character study as well as a nice picture.
January 11, 2012
When I first saw this film, I was struck by it's simplicity and earnest heart. It's been a personal favorite of mine for a long time because it's true and original. I never grow tired of watching this "small film" and I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone. It's the kind of drama that will not hammer you with "messages". A pure delight.
January 6, 2012
A Patch of Blue is a wonderful film. It is a blind white girl who is befriended by a black man. Sidney Poitier and Shelly Winters give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written and touching. Guy Green did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. A Patch of Blue is a must see.
January 3, 2012
sweet story, great acting and an ending that was just right
December 11, 2011
Good movie. Sidney Poitier takes a more supporting role to Elizabeth Hartman's blind girl and Shelley Winter's racist abusive mother. Winter won an Academy Award for her performance.
Critique Threatt
½ September 13, 2011
A very warm and heartfelt picture. Poitier and Hartman have real on-screen chemistry.

This picture has a lot of Machismo dialogue as when Hartman and Shelly Winters start a hammer blow of an argument then followed by Wallace Ford. It is probably the scene everyone remembers but for me it is the tender scenes between Poitier and Hartman that brings the movie to justice.
½ September 8, 2011
ok so i know its old but for its time it was a good film
xxdebxx
August 26, 2011
Elizabeth Hartman plays the blind and childlike Selena Darcy living with her white trash promiscuous mother Shelley Winters and alcoholic grandfather Wallace Ford. She's got one miserable existence, living in an apartment she rarely goes out of, cleaning house and stringing beads for necklaces to contribute to the family income. Her only joy is a trip to the park, where Selena sits by a tree and strings beads. One day she meets up with an articulate Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), an office worker who also likes the park. He is appalled that Selena is uneducated and has not even been taught the most rudimentary skills such as reading Braille (and has never enjoyed the simple pleasures of drinking pineapple juice, eating a roast beef sandwich and shopping in a supermarket before).

It is amazing that Selena experiences so many new and wonderful things that we all take for granted. I understand the conflict with her friendship with Gordon because in that time period it really was frowned upon. (This movie came out during an era of intense racial unease, and so was probably very daring for its time.) Shelley Winters, of course, steals the show as the racist mother who horribly abuses her young daughter. Her character is loathsome, but she's the only one not dripping in goodness, thus giving the film a realistic touch. The subtle score works well with the relationship development and the black and white cinematography is great.

Call me sentimental but watching this film brought tears to my eyes. I`ve always been a great admirer of Sidney Poiter having seen him in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and To sir with Love and this movie is heartfelt and wonderful to watch. The world is a cold place, but Gordon offers his friendship and compassion as a small patch of blue in Selena's otherwise dark world (My interpretation). The ending might not have been one that I cared for but I think it adds to the greatness of the movie.
August 18, 2011
For a movie that [could possibly] change the way you think, this is a must-see. "A Patch of Blue" could have, but wasn't daring at the time, since Martin Luther King had just given his speech. But still, this is a great movie, and even by today's standards is still groundbreaking. There are some films that are typical, and some that are just crowd-pleasers, but this one is one that no one before had tried. Sure, there had been romance movies with black people, or blind people, but never before together. Director Guy Green gives the symbol "love is blind" quite well here, and seriously keeps you moved throughout the picture. Hartman's performance as the blind Selina is simply outstanding. Most newcomers in Hollywood looked good and could memorize lines, but at only 22, this is just one of those people you just say "wow". She is extremely believable in her role, and transforms herself into her character. I've seen many movies where I feel deeply for characters, but I have never been this moved before. She is incredible, and somehow isn't very highly rated today. Poitier also delivers a great performance, and I'm not sure why he didn't get a nod for an Oscar. Gordon is likeable and kind, and though most actors could pull a "plain Jane", he doesn't, and turns a boring role into something more lifelike, something better than what could have been before. It's Winters frankly, that steals the show. No, she doesn't get that much screen time, but every scene she's in, she just steals the show. Dirty prostitutes were one of the new topics Hollywood was using now the Hays Code was over, but Winters gives so much more to her performance, something so much bigger that it is indescribable. In three words, I can say "rent for her". "A Patch of Blue" is great: a must-watch.
August 6, 2011
Guy Green directs this very nice, if a bit too nice, film that preaches of tolerance and love. Newcomer Elizabeth Hartman plays Selina D'Arcey, a blind 18-year-old girl who lives with her abusive, prostitute mother (Shelley Winters) and her mother's father, Ole Pa (Wallace Ford), a drunkard. While in the park one day, she befriends Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), a black man. The film was made during the heat of the Civil Rights movement, so this friendship is rather controversial to all that see them. But the reason they are friends is that Selina doesn't care that he's black. She only knows he's different because of what people tell her. She can't see the one major difference between them, so a strong friendship is formed. The movie is nice, well-written, acted, and directed, and features a stunning musical score from Jerry Goldsmith. The reason to see this however, aside from the regular terrific performances from Poitier, Hartman, and Ford, is Shelley Winter's Oscar-winning performance as Selina's mother, Rose-Anne. It's a brutal, searing, tour-de-force; she is an onscreen hurricane, destroying everything in her path, and you can't take your eyes off of her. If for nothing else, see A Patch of Blue for her.