A Patch of Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Patch of Blue Reviews

July 17, 2013
Breaking our pre-concieved notions (biases) in a film which fires on all cylinders. Watch for Winters to nearly steal the show.
June 5, 2013
One of the best movies of the 60's, and deserved its Oscar nominations and wins!
½ June 20, 2012
i am addicted to love story and this one is moving and poignant..i love the end..one of my favourite movie.Selina is heartbreaking..:(
June 1, 2012
hella luv this movie!!! havent seen it in a long time.
May 24, 2012
Shelley Winters won the Oscar but the real acting is by Elizabeth Hartman as the abused and benighted blind girl. This is great!
May 11, 2012
Enjoyed everything this film had to offer & that's why it got 5 stars from me.
½ April 5, 2012
This film about a blind girl in a dysfunctional family, who is befriended by Sidney Poitier is a good character study as well as a nice picture.
January 11, 2012
When I first saw this film, I was struck by it's simplicity and earnest heart. It's been a personal favorite of mine for a long time because it's true and original. I never grow tired of watching this "small film" and I wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone. It's the kind of drama that will not hammer you with "messages". A pure delight.
January 6, 2012
A Patch of Blue is a wonderful film. It is a blind white girl who is befriended by a black man. Sidney Poitier and Shelly Winters give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written and touching. Guy Green did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. A Patch of Blue is a must see.
January 3, 2012
sweet story, great acting and an ending that was just right
December 11, 2011
Good movie. Sidney Poitier takes a more supporting role to Elizabeth Hartman's blind girl and Shelley Winter's racist abusive mother. Winter won an Academy Award for her performance.
Critique Threatt
½ September 13, 2011
A very warm and heartfelt picture. Poitier and Hartman have real on-screen chemistry.

This picture has a lot of Machismo dialogue as when Hartman and Shelly Winters start a hammer blow of an argument then followed by Wallace Ford. It is probably the scene everyone remembers but for me it is the tender scenes between Poitier and Hartman that brings the movie to justice.
½ September 8, 2011
ok so i know its old but for its time it was a good film
xxdebxx
August 26, 2011
Elizabeth Hartman plays the blind and childlike Selena Darcy living with her white trash promiscuous mother Shelley Winters and alcoholic grandfather Wallace Ford. She's got one miserable existence, living in an apartment she rarely goes out of, cleaning house and stringing beads for necklaces to contribute to the family income. Her only joy is a trip to the park, where Selena sits by a tree and strings beads. One day she meets up with an articulate Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), an office worker who also likes the park. He is appalled that Selena is uneducated and has not even been taught the most rudimentary skills such as reading Braille (and has never enjoyed the simple pleasures of drinking pineapple juice, eating a roast beef sandwich and shopping in a supermarket before).

It is amazing that Selena experiences so many new and wonderful things that we all take for granted. I understand the conflict with her friendship with Gordon because in that time period it really was frowned upon. (This movie came out during an era of intense racial unease, and so was probably very daring for its time.) Shelley Winters, of course, steals the show as the racist mother who horribly abuses her young daughter. Her character is loathsome, but she's the only one not dripping in goodness, thus giving the film a realistic touch. The subtle score works well with the relationship development and the black and white cinematography is great.

Call me sentimental but watching this film brought tears to my eyes. I`ve always been a great admirer of Sidney Poiter having seen him in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner and To sir with Love and this movie is heartfelt and wonderful to watch. The world is a cold place, but Gordon offers his friendship and compassion as a small patch of blue in Selena's otherwise dark world (My interpretation). The ending might not have been one that I cared for but I think it adds to the greatness of the movie.
August 18, 2011
For a movie that [could possibly] change the way you think, this is a must-see. "A Patch of Blue" could have, but wasn't daring at the time, since Martin Luther King had just given his speech. But still, this is a great movie, and even by today's standards is still groundbreaking. There are some films that are typical, and some that are just crowd-pleasers, but this one is one that no one before had tried. Sure, there had been romance movies with black people, or blind people, but never before together. Director Guy Green gives the symbol "love is blind" quite well here, and seriously keeps you moved throughout the picture. Hartman's performance as the blind Selina is simply outstanding. Most newcomers in Hollywood looked good and could memorize lines, but at only 22, this is just one of those people you just say "wow". She is extremely believable in her role, and transforms herself into her character. I've seen many movies where I feel deeply for characters, but I have never been this moved before. She is incredible, and somehow isn't very highly rated today. Poitier also delivers a great performance, and I'm not sure why he didn't get a nod for an Oscar. Gordon is likeable and kind, and though most actors could pull a "plain Jane", he doesn't, and turns a boring role into something more lifelike, something better than what could have been before. It's Winters frankly, that steals the show. No, she doesn't get that much screen time, but every scene she's in, she just steals the show. Dirty prostitutes were one of the new topics Hollywood was using now the Hays Code was over, but Winters gives so much more to her performance, something so much bigger that it is indescribable. In three words, I can say "rent for her". "A Patch of Blue" is great: a must-watch.
August 6, 2011
Guy Green directs this very nice, if a bit too nice, film that preaches of tolerance and love. Newcomer Elizabeth Hartman plays Selina D'Arcey, a blind 18-year-old girl who lives with her abusive, prostitute mother (Shelley Winters) and her mother's father, Ole Pa (Wallace Ford), a drunkard. While in the park one day, she befriends Gordon Ralfe (Sidney Poitier), a black man. The film was made during the heat of the Civil Rights movement, so this friendship is rather controversial to all that see them. But the reason they are friends is that Selina doesn't care that he's black. She only knows he's different because of what people tell her. She can't see the one major difference between them, so a strong friendship is formed. The movie is nice, well-written, acted, and directed, and features a stunning musical score from Jerry Goldsmith. The reason to see this however, aside from the regular terrific performances from Poitier, Hartman, and Ford, is Shelley Winter's Oscar-winning performance as Selina's mother, Rose-Anne. It's a brutal, searing, tour-de-force; she is an onscreen hurricane, destroying everything in her path, and you can't take your eyes off of her. If for nothing else, see A Patch of Blue for her.
½ August 3, 2011
Love is Blind, Color Blindness, & Visual Blindness, are NOT Handicaps!
Sadly Beautiful, Turbulent, & Important "Must See" of a Poignant Film that tackles Social Injustice,Racism, Abuse,& Blindness & the Confines Involved,with such an impact that you will never forget it.This is a 2 Box Tearjerker from the start if you are a sensitive person, be warned.A Beautiful Blind Girl(a then unknown, Elizabeth Hartman)as Selina, blinded by her Mother,, is abused in every way by her morally questionable Mother(Shelly Winters).The Abuse is tolerated by her Drunken "Ole Pa"(Wallace Ford).Selina decides she needs to get some Fresh Air, & starts going to the Park, after her extensive Home Chores are done. There she befriends a man who changes her life & teaches her to be independent in her Challenge with her blindness, as she clearly has had no education whatsoever.The Interracial Issue, which she is oblivious to, becomes a large part of the story because of the times, but seems so silly today.Their Love is Color Blind. He gets her that badly needed Patch of Blue Sky in her Cloudy World of Repression(Education & Freedom from her Oppressors), but the Film leaves you hanging, I HATE that when that happens!!!
Shelly Winters deservedly wins an Academy Award for playing this Reprehensible Mother.I believe Sydney Poitier, & Esp. the Newcomer who gave a performance of any actors lifetime,Elizabeth Hartman, deserved one even more!
June 1, 2011
A superb little film that more than holds up to the test of time. A Patch of Blue seems as fresh as the day it hit the theaters. Raw and real, and I think, along with Raisin in the Sun, Sidney Portier's best. Elizabeth Hartmann and Shelley Winters are stellar.
May 26, 2011
a very sad, sweet and moving story. fantastic acting/writing/and social significance.