Pavilion of Women - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pavilion of Women Reviews

½ August 3, 2014
Had so much potential , if a better script
October 6, 2013
Not the end-all-&-be-all... but it was good, had a lot of emotion, romanticism, cultural...
September 4, 2013
Got to love RT's American Critics...who are so ignorant and insensitive to any other culture than their own that it's like a mirror to their government's foreign policy...with a rating of 6% by these Hollywood Propaganda-conditioned no-minds -- I can almost bet every time that it's going to be a great movie -- and in this case I was not disappointed! Gorgeous cinematography and period Chinese set-pieces and architecture combined with a very Romantic script made this a very enjoyable referential one-off. Well Executed! (Pun Intended).
December 26, 2012
Okay, we've all seen Memoirs of a Geisha. 85 million dollar budget, mixed cast from several different backgrounds, made for American audiences - alright, this seems familiar. Now totally wipe that out of your head before you watch this movie. With roughly a 5 million dollar budget in comparison, this movie had far less flexibility in picking their supporting cast to expect the acting to not be a little over-exaggerated or off kilter at times. From beginning to end, the movie fluctuates between dramatic, personal scenes meant to pull you into the moment and tug at your thinker, sporting genuine and heart-felt acting by Willem Dafoe, Yan Luo, Yi Ding, and John Cho, and then explodes into what may seem sometimes ridiculous or cheesy by some of the lesser known cast. I have not read the book it was apparently based on, yet the movie had a beautifully tragic plot with all ranges of acting and an interesting look at pre-WWII China. The story is meant to have a more serious, dry tone and if you can look past your 2012 movie expectations and really watch the story unfold, it's definitely a movie worth watching.
December 7, 2012
How can i see this movie ?
June 23, 2012
I found this a very interesting film. It displayed customs and traditions of pre WWII society. A romantic tragedy worth seeing.
April 25, 2012
A story about love and the sacrifices for love. I was really impressed by John Cho's performance as well as Luo Yan's; both of their characters (son and mother) feel trapped (by his father- her husband). He finds love with his father's second wife (who is his own age) while his mother falls for a missionary. Powerful. Simply powerful.
August 29, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
½ June 8, 2009
Pavilion of Women takes place in pre-WW II China. A story of intertwining tales of forbidden love and self growth. Willem DaFoe draws upon his charismatic charm to bring Andre, a kind-hearted doctor turned missionary priest to life. He is invited to provide a western education to the son of a well to do family. The First and second wife of the patriarch decide to join the class. The group learn about themselves while testing cultural boundaries. The score is very beautiful. I did find it a bit overbearing at times. The movie is a very slow watch with a very predictable storyline, even if you haven't read the book. That being said, I would recommend this film. The film is eye catching and interesting. A strong supporting cast makes it an easy film to like.
May 17, 2009
A Japanese Women With Strict Family Rules, Falls Fall An American Priest. This Has My Fave Romantic Scene Ever!
May 17, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch...its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie...i think that willem dafoe, yan luo, john chom shek sau, kate mcgregor stewart, yi ding (II) play good roles/parts throughout this movie...i think that the director of this drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie its a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its really well directed throughout this movie its a good movie 2 watch
½ April 26, 2009
Pretty good love story between to ethnic backgrounds. I definitely R rated
½ December 29, 2008
Bastardisin Chinese films began way before this but this one was particularly exposed. Dafoe ain't Da man for this & everythin else appears & sounds off.
August 27, 2008
Zafa. me gusto q la filmaron en Suzhou y podia reconocer la escenografia.
August 21, 2008
whoever cast willem dafoe as a sensitive village priest in china should be fired.

the story was the typical pearl s. buck east meets west theme, but still good. lots of bad acting and epic over the top musical scores to go around.
½ August 3, 2008
One of, if not the worst, romantic films I've ever seen, Pavilion of Women makes Godzilla and early Jackie Chan dubbing seem serious. John Cho should stick to comedies and teen drama. Willem Dafoe is horribly miscast, and Yan Luo is no screenwriter. Big waste of time.
July 20, 2008
Great film
a forbidden love
its so beautiful and sad
great story!
June 1, 2008
beautifully shot with somewhat clunky editing and acting, still an effective and gorgeous film--love the music.
May 17, 2008
It has good intentions, trying to stylishly put over the conflict between traditional china and the encroaching outside world, but it is an intensely boring watch upto the final 20 minutes when things finally start to happen.
½ April 9, 2008
This is perhaps one of the worst movie adaptations of a classic novel ever made. Horribly written and cast. Much of the true essence of this Pearl S. Buck classic is lost due to shoddy writing and Hollywoodization.