Pay It Forward - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pay It Forward Reviews

½ November 29, 2015
Haley Joel Osment plays a young student in the 7th grade who encounters a new social studies teacher Kevin Spacey in Pay it Forward. He gets an assignment to try and improve the world, and comes up with the idea to help somebody, and then that person must in turn help 3 people. He starts with his mom (Helen Hunt) and it leads to a budding relationship with his mom and teacher. Pay It Forward is hoaky, but does its best to wrap itself in a realistic shell. The film has some interesting concepts, but overall it is a bad romance filled with ideas that would not happen outside of a Hollywood film.
½ November 2, 2015
When was the last time you saw a move extolling the virtues of the New Deal welfare system? You have never seen a single movie from Hollywood that suggested in any way that the welfare system has any value. Quite to the contrary, people on welfare are described by Hollywood as welfare bums, "on the dole", Welfare cheats - as if it is even possible to cheat on welfare, the whole concept makes absolutely no sense, or welfare cheats just because they're on welfare. It's easy to say things like that when one's sole obsession is either lobbying the government to reduce the taxes or figuring out ways to cheat the government on taxes owed for millions of dollars generated through ripping off consumers on a mass basis.
Welfare isn't a right, it isn't a benefit, it meant the difference between life and death for those whose predicament is of such kind.
So as a counterbuttal to figuring out how to fit a swimming pool into a stretch limousine, Hollywood has produced a gem of a cropolite in Pay it Forward. All of the values expounded by the Reagan/ John F. Kennedy/Tamany hall faction have been synthesized into one horrific mess extolling the virtues of "it's not what you can do for your country...blah blah blah" i.e. "working as a prostitute is all well and good, but if you pay it forward and make a ""contribution" to society" so I can put a new swimming pool in my limo that would be far better."
½ October 31, 2015
Wonderful movie but such a sad ending... Still an amazingly written script.
½ October 18, 2015
Some excellent performances and a lovely sentiment keeps this otherwise quite uneventful movie together. I enjoyed it very much even if it were a touch too long. A tearjerker that I managed to watch without crying...that's rare!
October 15, 2015
Never watching this again! Too dramatic for no reason at all!
October 7, 2015
In this movies, three things that happened were Trevor was trying to pay it forward to change in the world but it is not easy thing to do. Pay it forward does not work with lot of the people in the world but he never gave up on him.
I do not like this movie because Trevor always has a problem with his mom because of Arlene was drunk and caused problems with him for no reason. Trevor got the idea of pay it forward from Mr. Simonet and brought Mr. Simonet on a date with Arlene. Trevor does not want to see more problems with mom. She needs to be happy with Mr. Simonet.

The themes in the movie are pay it forward, alcohol addiction, and failures. Pay it forward is a theme because Trevor want to influence everybody. He talked about pay it forward often because people need to understand the world. Failure is a theme work because he failed to pay it forward. Alcohol addiction is a theme Arlene was drunk too much she needs to stop getting drunk. Trevor suggested to change the people in the world for better. - Ermias Thomas.
October 6, 2015
In this movie, three things that happened were Ricky argued with Arlene because she wanted to him out of the house, Mr. Simonet was straight with Arlene about his history like her son, and the gang boys stabbed knife in Trevor then he was dead. He died because his friend was in a fight and Trevor tried to help him at the end.
I like this movie because it was good because it is heart - touching. It is a true story. Pay it forward is a good idea.
The themes in the story are Arlene was drunk too often and Trevor didnt like it. He always told her many time but she was still stubborn. Few days later, she stopped drinking, Mr. Simonet was talking to Trevor about pay forward it and calling back his mom because she wanted to talk him but he dont want. Then, she went to Mr. Simonets house and she totally understood how he felt. Ricky, Trevor's dad, was arguing with Arlene because she wanted to him out of the house and he was mad that Trevor wont talk to him because he was scared
October 6, 2015
In this movie, three things that happened are Arlene got angry because Trevor brought poor man in the house then she go to Trevor' school and she looked for teacher's class then Arlene argued with Mr. Simonet Gang boys fought with Trevor, then one boy got knife and stabbed Trevor. He is dead and Arlene really cried hard!!!

I like this movie because it is a very good movie but it is a sad story because Trevor is dead and Arlene is crying a lot. I also liked that many people give flowers on Arlene's home garden.

The themes in the story are talk about trying to pay it forward to people, Trevor trying make Arlene date Mr. Simonet, but Mr. Simonet avoided Arlene and he not want know Arlene won't know about Mr. Simonet's body and Arlene did not care about his body, she said, "who cares!?" Mr. Simonet says "well, ok."
August 18, 2015
Wow. This is a terrible movie.
½ August 18, 2015
good movie. sad ending.
August 11, 2015
Pay it Forward takes its overly utopian plot and makes the intelligent decision of stretching it out to a surprisingly subtle level, earning viewers' tears rather than manipulating them -- and benefits massively from complex, emotionally powerful performances from Haley Joel Osment, Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt.
August 1, 2015
I love this movie it has such great emotions­~ó­~
½ July 19, 2015
Pay it Forward is a bearable movie to watch. I didn't think Kevin Spacey and Helen hunts relationship was believable enough. The story drifts on and off all of the time having many sub plots. The movie had a surprising ending and kind of sad and unnecessary in my opinion. Pay it Forward is a movie to watch once and once only
July 8, 2015
Best tear jerker EVER, makes you think, maybe that could have been you or someone you know.
June 8, 2015
After watching this film I just remembered the quote from 'Sullivan's Travels' which says 'film's the greatest educational medium the world has ever known'. Indeed, cinema's for entertainment as well acts as a message deliverer. This was an inspirational movie, and everybody must see it. I know I'm a bit late to see it, better late than never, right? I'm really glad for having it at the right time because 15 years ago I did not have this blog to write about it.

Ok, the name of the movie represents the theme of the story. No matter its a developed or developing country, society needs something like the idea this movie talks about. Carrying a good social message, the movie slightly lags behind the too much on the emotions, especially the end part. There won't be a problem if you like melodrama. Other than that, I feel the conclusion was smart and strong, a better solution which would appeal for certain group rather alternate finale.

The film was based on the novel of the same name, crafted by a fine director with the wonderful cast. Haley Joel Osment had a great career as a child-star, you should check some of his films if you love children's movies including this title on the top of that list. As a middle aged actor, Helen Hunt's one of the last best performances before turning into a senior artist. It's not a usual role for Kevin Spacey, but he nailed it with the good dialogues. Especially his talk about the topic 'child abuse' was a great thing from the movie. Overall, the actors get more credit for the first-class acts as the script demanded for their respective roles.

What did you ever do to change the world.

A movie about a man who achieved in science gets the Oscar, not that real man. A movie about a man escapes from the war prison camp and slavery gets the award, and again none of those real persons. But a movie with the original, intelligent, inspiring, specially designed for a movie was not even a contender of the Oscars. Of course, it was transformed from a book, though there are/were no real people behind these great characters, all are imagined/created for the book and the movie. I never understood the American Academy Awards.

By now you would know that I hate critics badly if you are a regular reader of my blog. Once again they failed to recognise how great the morality of the story is, rather they have concentrated to criticise the writing and the technical aspect of the film. Although, it was not a box office flop or earned beyond, but got a lot of praise from the families. It's a wonderful family drama, but still too far from being a masterpiece. Intelligent enough one to get motivated towards the social issues. Being practical in the real world is a concern as it is risky, depending on the situation and the person, just like this movie's ending. Rare to find a movie like this, you must check it out.

8/10
June 3, 2015
This movie always challenges me to be a better person and to help those in need. Great film, a must-see.
June 1, 2015
FIRST, I'm an action and sci-fi, graphic death movie lover, but I love this movie. I also love Kevin Spacey and wish I hadn't waited so long to see it. Not a huge fan of Helen Hunt, but I love this movie from beginning to end. Such a cool concept, so touching and the connections keep you interested throughout. They even throw a little comedy in, here and there. The ending... Keep the tissues handy!!

The cast is incredible
June 1, 2015
To many melodramatic moment in a movie full of them
May 31, 2015
I believe in Angels.
May 26, 2015
Good movie, feel good movie we need more of these