Payback: Straight Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Payback: Straight Up Reviews

½ January 13, 2015
Gibson nailed this one... & Lucy Liu was amazing!
½ December 25, 2014
Good glum film with Payne like character Porter played by Mel Gibson.
August 26, 2014
Better then the original
January 11, 2014
I really enjoyed this film under its original iteration of Payback (1999), so this director's cut version was interesting to me to see exactly what was changed and how much new material was added or what was excised. I really liked this quite a bit and would now like to re-watch the original version, which I guess I also need to own, just for posterity.

Recommended, but hey, you know I love a nice revenge tale.
December 31, 2013
A really interesting cut of the film, but something is missing.
½ May 20, 2013
This movie is top shelf Gibson... hardened, funny and kicking ass. I have never seen the original theatrical version, but this re-edited director's cut is pretty great. From my understanding, it plays out as a completely different film... with an entirely new third act. It's hard to believe the old cut is more fun than this.... it's perfectly dark and flat out sweet.
½ January 22, 2013
It's pretty crazy how the same footage re-purposed changes the tone of a film so completely. Like "Daredevil's" Director's Cut, there's parts of both versions I really like. Although this version still isn't the definitive one. As far as Director Cuts go, this is still much better than Dick Donner's 'Superman II'.
½ January 7, 2013
I enjoy both versions of Payback. This version, the director's cut, is the most faithful adaption of The Hunter made so far. This version is a little more hardboiled than the theatrical version but it's also a little less satisfying. There's a tradeoff and I love both versions as companion pieces to each other. Ironically what makes this version less commercial are the areas it's not as faithful to The Hunter. Easily Mel Gibon's best film in my book.
½ January 5, 2013
Your original vision blew. Have never been a fan of directors cuts, but the original ending fit Porters character a lot better then this. Parts of the scenes didnt fit and felt cut / cheesy / less "realistic".
September 15, 2012
So Different from The Original Cut but still Great. "It's $70,000 NOT $130,000!"
½ August 17, 2012
I really liked the Theatrical version of this film...so I picked up the directors cut on DVD. WOW..almost completely different movies. Sure there is a lot that is the same..but the whole mood is very different. The only downside..the Theatrical version was not on this DVD!
July 27, 2012
Apparently this is the original director's cut of the film. It's pretty much the same during the first 2/3's, except they removed Mel Gibson's narrative and the blue filters (both of which were apparently added for the re-cut). If you've seen the theatrical version, you're used to the Kris Kristofferson character. Well, that character is replaced by a woman's voice on the phone and the whole kidnapping subplot is replaced by a violent subway station showdown, which were unfortunately less-effectively depicted than the content which replaced it in the theatrical cut. This version is a little more raw, and apparently closer to the source material, but it's not as tight and fluid as the theatrical cut, and it's lacking the rough charm which simultaneously kept it from being forgettable and made it a little more special than other similar genre-movies. It's a decent, mean movie about a mean world full of mean people who do bad things for a living and worth a watch. But if you were a fan of the theatrical cut, you might not be as satisfied with this version.
June 14, 2012
Prefer the originals ending to this - way to abrupt.
June 10, 2012
Directors cut. Very different to original.
Got to confess - preferred the Gibson version - but this is far more brutal and a bit funnier
½ March 22, 2012
Well, I must say that I liked the theatrical cut much better! The "blue" color, the voice over, the music, they all just worked better for me. This one has a cool ending too, but the theatrical's is better. And Kristofferson was a much better villain than Kellerman.
March 2, 2012
Probably won't be as good as POINT BLANK, but I'm sure it'll be better than Mel's re-edited version.
November 11, 2011
A triumph if only for the drastic reworking of the third act. Mel Gibson is great as the bad guy out to get the guys that are worse.
October 15, 2011
More Classic Gibson!

(my review accidentally got erased) . . . I'll get back to this, later.