Pearl Jam Twenty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pearl Jam Twenty Reviews

April 3, 2013
Great movie for serious fans. A non fan might fid it on the long side.
March 27, 2013
Interesting history of the band before they became famous.
March 16, 2013
letting yourself go and not trying to maintain control. that is Pearl Jam.
½ January 12, 2013
Good, but it would've been more accurate and interesting to show some of the band's darker moments and personal interactions - like EV's relationship with Dave Abruzzesse. That whole cess-pool was entirely glossed over. I guess that's what happens when you have a friend film the story of your band - they don't want to piss you off too much and they even make your embarassing moments look relatively good. Cameron Crowe is just too emotionally close to Pearl Jam and not edgy enough to do justice to a band that has lived through some pretty edgy times. All I come away with is how enamoured he is of them.
December 21, 2012
As a Pearl Jam fan I was found it very entertaining.
November 27, 2012
second half eclipsed by first insightful half.
November 11, 2012
Good enough to keep me awake on a plane. I guess I knew a little bit about the Seattle scene that spawned a music movement, but this still shed some new light for me. If you're a Pearl Jam, you'll love this. If you just like music and modern music history, this is a good rental.
October 29, 2012
Great walk down memory lane, interviews with all band members, and close friends of them, like Chris Cornell, a lot of footage from the 90s. Highly recommended for any fan of the band and that era...
YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
October 14, 2012
Not a big Pearl Jam fan, nor a heavy rock fan, but nonetheless, this film was quite entertaining. Obviously the band means a lot to thier fans. Their story is not dull either.
October 14, 2012
Make me fall in love with the band all over again, even though I still am.
September 13, 2012
Pretty interesting chronicle but I think it's really made for the fans.
September 9, 2012
Pearl Jam e Caremon Crowe, não tinha como dar errado. à incrível como um documentário consegue ser tão emocionante e verdadeiro como Twenty, que comemorou os 20 anos de carreira da banda.
cosmo313
August 20, 2012
Pearl Jam cemented themselves as being one of the best, most influential, and tightest bands over the past two decades plus, and this documentary, going by their 20th anniversary (of the release of Ten, not their formation), is a loving tribute/celebration of them, their music, and the factors that brought them together, and keep them going.

Cameron Crowe is a great choice for this material, having a knack at music related films, and being relatively close to the band to begin with. That, and thanks to his movie Singles, he has a vast love and knowledge of the scene that they got the most famous during. The film, in the first half at least, is well balanced and structured, and gives a lot of insight into how the band formed, as well as hitting highlights of their career chronologically. A fair amount of time is also spent on the Mother Love Bone era, and that's where some of the more moving parts of the film are, right up front.

The second half is fine, but really runs out of steam, and is oddly structred for some wieird reason. Some of the biographical stuff about the guys, and what lead them to Seattle happens in the first half, while the rest comes later, and seems really rushed and shoehorned. That, and in general a few thigns get glossed over, with Crowe making the assumption that the audience will already be familiar with things, and have the prior knowledge of what he skims over.

Unlike VH1's Behind The Music, this doesn't get overly sappy, sensational, or melodramatic. These guys actually look at things very matter of factly, as opposed to being overly nostalgic for the past, and bitter that those days have gone by. I really enjoyed hearing their thoughts on some of the most well known high and low moments though, and how the film isn't afraid to get into the uncomfortable parts of the band's history at times.

This is a pretty decent film. I'm biased because I love the band and their music, but for a casual viewer, this is a decent primer, though they might not be able to appreciate some of this as much. Still though, Crowe did a good job, and I can't really see someone else doing a much better job.
½ August 4, 2012
This rockumentary shows a more personal side to an incredible band.
July 30, 2012
From a confirmed PJ fanboy comes a film that's surprisingly watchable to the casual Pearl Jam appreciater (i.e., me). Most surprising, perhaps, were the varying impulses to quit that the band has felt over the years, from the initial burnout after their smash hits through their battle with Ticketmaster and the deeply affecting tragedy at Roskilde, where nine fans were killed as the crowd rushed the stage. The insights into the personalities - particularly vocalist/lyricist Eddie Vedder and the unassuming, dedicated-to-the-art-of-it bassist Jeff Ament - are coupled with lots of music, live video and peer commentary to give you a picture of how far the band's travelled these last 20 years. Enjoyable doc.
July 28, 2012
Commemorating Pearl Jam's twentieth anniversary comes, 'PJ20.' A career-spanning documentary from director Cameron Crowe. From the band's inception as Mother Love Bone, to the actual formation of Pearl Jam, to the present day ... it's all covered in great detail. One of the many cool aspects of this documentary is that Cameron Crowe allows each band member to tell the band's story. There is no guest narrator, instead you're hearing Pearl Jam tell their story, and all five members contribute equally in this film. Each one gives a genuine, honest account of the band's past & present.

The band is not, and was not short on friends, however. With the likes of Chris Cornell, Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, Layne Staley and Neil Young - you really get a feel for how well they are liked and loved by not only their fans, but their peers as well.

The movie isn't complete without footage and there is literally, tons of it. I was blown away by the amount Cameron Crowe included. From beginning to end, it feels non-stop. Fan footage, behind-the-scenes, concert, home video, news/media, it's all here. Obviously, you have the band's music played throughout, as well as music video clips.

As I mentioned above, the story is career-spanning - which is what you expect. The thing that elevates PJ20 is the amount of depth, we're not just given a sampling of this band's life, we are taken inside. We see the struggles with Andrew Wood's death, how the band name Pearl Jam came about. The grunge-era and the whole Seattle scene in the early 90's. We are taken inside the creation of Ten, the selection of it's album art. The struggles with stardom, and the court battle with TicketMaster in the mid-90's.

I will end by saying, music lovers really need to give this a look. It goes without saying, if you're into Pearl Jam at all - it's a must. Now, I haven't seen Metallica's 'Some Kind of Monster,' so, I can't compare 'PJ20' to it. For me, this is the best music doc I've seen. The amount of goodies here will satisfy with multiple viewings.

Cameron Crowe delivers in a big way.
July 11, 2012
un tsunami de recuerdos y anécdotas que van amarradas con la historia de Pearl Jam, cada disco, cada single nos trasporta a algún momento de los 90, cada "vivo" nos recuerda el 2011 y sobretodo el 2005..... we belong together.
June 26, 2012
really enjoyed this documentary and brought back some memories of when albums songs were getting released and one best gigs ever been too. great documentary for fans of the band.
June 26, 2012
Just watched this last night. So many nights spent staggering along the evening streets of Seattle, San Francisco, Fairfield and Santa Rosa. Ever on the lookout for salvation and finding it in the most unseemly spots. These guys and many of those who appear in this documentary provided the score for the bulk of my adventures during the first half of the nineties. A great glimpse into their history and ours.