The Pebble and the Penguin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pebble and the Penguin Reviews

May 11, 2013
Weak plot, mostly good contents.
½ April 12, 2013
Basic kids movie plot to brought down by a series of pretty terrible musical numbers and both the romance and buddy picture aspects feel forced even by kids movie standards not to mention Tim Curry as yet another cornball cartoon bad guy
½ March 21, 2013
pretty generic. The only thing this movie really has going for it is the nostalgia, and even then its just barely.
January 2, 2013
Honestly I don't think it's as bad as Bluth's other bad movies, though there are better children's movies out there.
January 1, 2013
Bluth is no longer at rock bottom when this came out, but it's still one of his weakest films.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
½ November 9, 2012
The story is unrealistic (even by cartoon standards) and the characters are one-dimensional. Hands down Don Bluth's worst film.
November 5, 2012
I held off for years to not watch this movie because it didn't seem that interesting. But, I finally did and I didn't miss out on much by avoiding it. There are so many plotholes in this movie, I didn't really like the main character much at all, some of the animation was sloppy, and the story was just really weak. The only song I really liked was in the opening credits. This movie moves on so slow and only has a few action scenes. If you skip this movie, you won't miss much,
October 18, 2012
Ah yes. The movie considered Don Bluth's worst, even by Don Bluth. I think this movie is bad, as well, but I don't think it's the worst. That medal of heinous-ity goes to A Troll In Central Park. Overall, this movie is harmless and actually has a good concept that wasn't executed well, until Happy Feet came along. I'll give this two stars, mainly because of Jim Belushi and Tim Curry's performances.
October 4, 2012
wot this film is cr*p
September 21, 2012
It looks like it might have some good parts to it. I've enjoyed few Disney sequels for what they might get right, so this looks like I could enjoy it
September 16, 2012
Really bad characters.
June 20, 2012
Yeah here's a movie I remember not owning but seeing a couple of times when I was a kid. So after seeing it again for the first time in years right after seeing All Dogs Go To Heaven, here's my review for The Pebble and the Penguin.

Plot: Hubie is a shy penguin in Antarctica who is in love with this female penguin named Marina. But this big, strong cruel penguin named Drake wants her too. in order for Hubie to propose to Marina, he has to find a pebble so that he can. He wishes on a star that he would find the perfect pebble, and one falls out of the sky for him to use. But along the way, Drake pushes him into the water where he gets separated from the penguins by a leopard seal. He is then captured by human where he meets another penguin named Rocko who he helps to escape and is tricked by Hubie to take him back to Antarctica to try to stop Drake from forcing Mariana to marry him.

Like All Dogs Go to Heaven, it wasn't a horrible movie, only at least with this movie we don't get anything really weird. But also like All Dogs Go To Heaven the story isn't very original. I mean there's plenty of movies where the main guy is shy or has trouble talking to girls and they really made the fact that this is a Disney knock-off a little too obviously considering there being this bully who's the main villain who wants the girl for her looks like Gaston in Beauty and the Beast. Other than that, it just has a couple of other issues like most of the songs aren't that good and there's a bunch of stuff that is unrealistic and has a couple of plot holes, yet it's...okay...ish enough to enjoy.

Characters:
Hubie: If there's one thing that I found to be really weird kind of right away, it's that Martin Short was voice as Hubie the whole time I knew this movie existed. I didn't even knew the guys name whenever I saw the movie as a kid, so it wasn't until right as I was watching the intro to this film that I found out. Which I found to be messed up in the sense that it's him being the lead and all that, even if it's the lead in an animated film. But I have to admit, for a guy that's a wimp I did enjoy how Rocko helped him stand up for himself which I kind of liked how it went in the end.
Rocko: He was an okay character. I mean he has his smart and energetic spirit who looks after himself which is likable for a supporting character like him. But then there's the cheesy stuff like what's his goal and everything so all in all, he's just so-so.

Music: I thought "Sometime I Wonder" and "Now and Forever" and kind of "The Good Ship Misery" were alright songs. But I was hardly a fan of "Don't Make Me Laugh" as a villain song and "Looks Like I Got Me A Friend" (even if the jokes in that one where nice)

And that's my review for The Pebble and the Penguin. It doesn't have an original plot and it has it's issues from some of its characters to some of the music. But it can be entertaining regardless for the most part.
June 6, 2012
I have never seen such an awfully formulaic movie (animated or otherwise) in my life.
April 9, 2012
If I have to choose between "greatest romantic hero of all time" or "stupidest penguin who's ever lived," I have to lean more toward the latter.
½ March 15, 2012
Don Bluth should be ashamed of himself.
February 27, 2012
This is a cute and harmless family musical that I enjoyed more when I was a kid.
February 17, 2012
Oh Donny Bluth. He made another weird, pandering-to-the-kids 90s film in Pebble and the Penguin. While it's not quite as stupid as Troll in Central Park or as unsuccessful-Disney-ripoffy as Thumbelina, this one is still pretty loony, and not in a good way either. It could definitely be worse, but yeaaahhhh.....I'm not gonna want this to come in on Saturday.....yeeaaahhhhh
February 10, 2012
I could watch it again and again... ;)
½ January 8, 2012
I used to watch this over & over! :)