The Pebble and the Penguin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pebble and the Penguin Reviews

½ December 24, 2011
Entertaining, but not very emotionally engaging, action and adventure film featuring 2-D hand drawn animation
December 19, 2011
A decent attempt, but with such a terrible love interest and villain, who will sit through it?
½ December 14, 2011
A blatantly banal and mediocre story any five-year-old is capable of writing that's full of unintentionally creepy animation, stereotypical characters, and awkward dialogue.
December 2, 2011
This was not as cute as I thought it would be. Kinda boring.
December 1, 2011
Too many unanswered questions make this movie annoying for adults. However, it is still good for children.
October 27, 2011
Overly flamboyant and silly. This film will bore into your nerves if you're over the age of 6.
October 2, 2011
I've always admired Don Bluths movie making style. Back in the 80's, he was one of the top animators because of his ability to make his movies colorful and fast paced for the kids and making the story interesting for adults. Back in the 80's, his movies were great.

Then the 90's came around. Don bluth's movies for some reason became wierd, forgettable, and sub-par. This movie is a good example of that. The characters are all forgettable as well as the songs, and the story has almost no foundation.
September 25, 2011
Looking back at Bluth's previous entries from the 90s, I was beginning to think about what I think about this one. Well, just say that when I was a little kid, I seemed to enjoy it, but as a young adult, I'm gonna call this movie decent. So, some of you are wondering why a 60%? Here's the reason why.

Here are some letdowns.

Letdown #1: The story was just... weird for a movie about penguins despite it's credit for a romance between two main characters. There were some things that were unexplained like "Why do penguins have clothing and hands to begin with?" and "Where did the three non-penguin birds came from?".

and Letdown #2: The songs made by Barry Manilow (despite it's decent music score from Mark Watters) were mediocre. "Now and Forever" (pop song included), "Sometimes I Wonder" and reprise and "Don't Make Me Laugh" were enjoyable, but the rest weren't that catchy at all.

That's it for the letdowns. Now for the highlights.

The animation is very good, the character designs aren't that bad, and the voice acting is entertaining.

So, is this movie weird? Well, kind of, but once you compare it to A Troll In Central Park, it's not a bad movie. It's just a decent and very cute penguin movie and it's worth watching for kids who like decent entertainment.

6/10
September 22, 2011
Extremely underated film. The script was written to intoxicate the soul with joy.
September 13, 2011
I saw it a long time ago, and I don't really want to watch it again.
August 31, 2011
Boring, forgettable, with terrible songs and not one interesting character. Why do the animators go so far out of their way to give the penguins teeth?
August 14, 2011
SUCH a cute movie :))
½ July 27, 2011
Expected far better from Don Bluth studios... the animation is gorgeous, but the story is paper-thin, rife with painfully contrived musical numbers, and the depth of the characters is better suited to a Super Nintendo. I watched it once, as an inveterate fan of Don Bluth, but frankly, it isn't worth a re-watch.
½ July 9, 2011
Cute and funny, but not brilliant. My son seemed to enjoy it though, which gives it points. :D
½ June 17, 2011
me and my son dylan watch it
June 9, 2011
Just like all movies with penguins, this movie is cute and somewhat funny, but not great. I liked it better when I was a kid, but it wasn't a favourite.
May 27, 2011
A not so good movie that seems whiny and repetitive. D+
May 18, 2011
one of the best animated movies..ever..Barry Manilows music is perfect for this film
April 28, 2011
loved this as a kid. classic.
April 18, 2011
The two main characters are sometimes amusing but for the most part The Pebble and the Penguin is a lackluster animated effort, both in term of the artwork and story which is far outmatched by the many other fish out of the water storylines dominating these types of films.