Pecker Reviews

• Oct 21, 2018

Pecker is a warmhearted comedy about one boy's meteoric rise to fame within the art world. Along the way, Waters finds ample opportunity to satirize New York culture, Baltimore culture, and movies about how people's personalities are changed when they get their 15 minutes in the spotlight. While all of this sounds passably interesting, Pecker is not well-focused. Isolated moments offer a few good laughs, but, taken as a whole, there's not much here to hold an audience's attention. The best comedies feature at least one or two endearing characters; Pecker doesn't take the time to develop anyone beyond a sketchy outline. And the plot, despite the detours into straight parody, is aimless and plodding. Pecker is less than 90 minutes long, but that still seems a little on the fat side. (Occasionally funny).

• Feb 10, 2018

It may not be the best showcase of Waters's brilliance, but it's still good hearted and well intentioned, with a nice wink at the end suggesting that the film is autobiographical.

• Jarrin R Super Reviewer
    Aug 22, 2015

This was a terrible movie. I just did not enjoy it period really. There were some good people in the cast but that is about it.

• Aug 19, 2015

Sick film with a handsome actor I haven't heard about recently. Not just another lost cause with IMDB. I can simply look up his discography.

• Oct 26, 2014

John Waters wrote and directed this feature about a sweet and naive young man who photographs everything, becomes famous for it...ruins his life and he learns lessons. The film is pretty straightforward and, despite having a hint of the humor Waters is famous for, it lacks an edge to make it fun throughout and feels a bit predictable by the end...maybe a bit too long for how simplistic the whole thing is. There are some funny moments and some definite Waters moments that make it worthwhile, but it just isn't interesting enough on the whole to give it a huge recommendation.

• Aug 26, 2014

What a disappointment, when I saw the trailer, I thought this would be a great film. It was quirky, fun and it made me so excited to see it, but I was less than impressed when I took the first look. Pecker is a lame, half-assed piece of dirt which is so bland, uninspiring and a waste of an aspiring cast that could've really done so much more better. First off, I hadn't really found Pecker just like that, I found it because of Edward Furlong. In my opinion, he is one of the best actors in the world period and I love him to death. And whilst the days of John Connor were over, he started to appear in films like American Heart, Brainscan and Little Odessa, which honestly, I love because he's in them. So as you could imagine I was completely psyched to see Pecker. But to a great disadvantage, it failed to keep a simple and clear narrative and instead of getting a witty and quick-paced film, I got a dull film which is more striperella based rather than what I think the majority of viewers wanted to see. So this is the story: Edward Furlong plays an aspiring photographer named Pecker, who takes pictures of abstract and odd life, which is mainly food because he always used to "peck" his food as a child. His girlfriend, Christina Ricci works in a laundromat, and Pecker decides that he wants to take a picture of her with her top unzipped (a little). An agency sees the photo and sees potential in him. However, the agency sees his girlfriend as a pretty striper rather than a model as such. So basically, he has to decide if he'd rather go for fame and fortune, or pay more attention to those who really care about him. So overall, the story sounds pretty consistent and sounds like it could turn out to be a great film. But unfortunately, it suffers from an unfocused story, really painful acting and such bland humour. My main problem is the cast: Edward Furlong makes me feel so uncomfortable and he was rather boring in my opinion even though his character build -up made him out to be quite an eccentric and ambitious person, but he holds back alot and it ends up to be a really dry character. Christina Ricci in this film is also rather dry, but she had a hardcore personality and has her own opinion on things and isn't afraid to say what she feels. I feel the side characters do a better job than the main characters, they're just so much more interesting and are even more developed as people. The film does flow in a strangely odd way, but at the end of the day, it's just messy and there is less to expect in a happy way.

• Jun 07, 2014

While it definitely is not John Waters at this best the film is still great fun.

• Jan 15, 2014

John Waters in one of his last good film. Pecker is a hilarious comedy about a boy who turns out to be a talented photographer on the verge of becoming the new sensation of the New York art world. His family though is totally nuts but loveable.... Pecker will discover that fame isn't always a great thing, it can bring you up but also crush you down. A wicked comedy absolutely a must see if you like John Waters humor.

• Oct 08, 2013

Although it's not completely clear this film appears to be about the notion that "people always smile in photos" and that photos can often hide the underlying issues, being only shallow. There are lots of suggestions to this throughout the film, including the jokey way strip joints, robbery, child care, insanity are portrayed, as well as a number of lines in the film which suggest it and the last bit, "I think I might make a film now"... The film presents a musical version of Baltimore but contains the same concepts that a more hard hitting film would.

• Sep 15, 2013

Silly, yet one of my favourite comedies of all time!!

Silly, yet one of my favourite comedies of all time!!