Peep World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peep World Reviews

½ March 22, 2016
The movie just feels bland but the cast is pretty damn good.
March 10, 2016
being watching this movie a lot on a 3rd party website and although most people say this movie sucks, I actually like it.
December 27, 2014
Normally I wouldn't consider watching people fight amongst each other a good time, but something about this one was interesting enough that I could actually stand to sit through it. There's not a lot going on, but the family dynamic (or lack thereof) kept my interest and it's a pretty quick watch. The cast is solid too, so it's worth seeing.
July 26, 2014
One line summary: The surfacing of truth is a painful process.

----------------------------

Henry Meyerwitz has four grown children: Jack, the architect; Joel, the lawyer who took 8 times to pass the bar exam; Cheri, the failed artist/actress; Nathan, the writer, who is seven years younger than Cheri. Henry is distant and imperious. Jack is tasked each year with paying for an expensive dinner in honor of Henry's birthday.

By Henry's seventieth birthday, family relations have gone from being tense and dysfunctional to harsh and confrontational. The main reason for this change is the wide success of Nathan's book Peep World, which is more than a bit too biographical for the comfort of Cheri, Joel, and Jack. To make things worse, Jack's business and revenue have shrunk, Joel's legal career is at a snail's pace, and Cheri's career is going nowhere. The topper is that Henry has a new girl friend Amy, who is the actress that plays Cheri in the film of Nathan's book.

In the hours leading up to the seventieth birthday dinner, the slow burns of the principal characters are exposed. At the dinner, they burst out, capped by Henry's speech returning all their fire.

Will the family gain some cohesion out of all this?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Well shot for the most part; on Netflix it seemed to have some intervals of focus that was too soft.

Sound: 7/10 No particular problems, but I thought the sound could have been more of an asset to the film than it was.

Acting: 8/10 The large cast included several skilled actors doing fine work.

Screenplay: 5/10 The threads came together well at the end, but I thought the film would have been better without a narrator. Just to be clear, most of the laughs I got out of the film were from Lewis Black's expert delivery--as the narrator. The film was billed as a comedy; why should most of the humor come from the narrator's performance?
½ July 21, 2014
Basically, Peep Show was like a really long episode of Arrested Development. It was funny, but there really wasn't a story here...
June 9, 2014
Like an unfunny, heavy handed, extremely obvious version of Arrested Development. Has a 30 min long erection joke "ha ha".
½ May 10, 2014
A quirky character study of a dysfunctional Jewish family consisting of all adults. They gather on the occasion of the father's 70th birthday and discuss enmities resulting from a lifetime of neglect by the father and a not-so fictional account of their lives written by the youngest son. Darkly comedic, witty and sarcastic. Kate Mara steals the show as a PR assistant for the novel writer.
February 25, 2014
I feel like this would be better seen as a play.
February 7, 2014
OK, sounds weird, but I like Rainn Wilson.
½ December 19, 2013
Not so sure I would have called it Peep Wild...
½ November 21, 2013
amusing black comedy has it's moments.
½ August 15, 2013
This really wasn't that good.
Harlequin68
July 3, 2013
In "Peep World," misery is nothing new for the Meyerwitz siblings. Jack's(Michael C. Hall) architecture business is foundering badly, just as he is expecting his first child with his wife Laura(Judy Greer). It has taken Joel(Rainn Wilson) eight tries to pass the bar exam and is so deep in the hole that he begs Jack for help on a regular basis. At least, Nathan(Ben Schwartz) is successful in writing a roman a clef about his family, thereby making the life of their sister Cheri(Sarah Silverman), an unemployed actress, even worse. That's all before the annual birthday dinner for their father Henry(Ron Rifkin), a wealthy property developer.

In its cringe inducing way, "Peep World" feels like a particularly misguided and crude pilot episode of which the best performances are from those on the periphery, Judy Greer, Guillermo Diaz, Kate Mara & Taraji P. Henson, who know enough not to force things. To be fair, there is one classic meta moment where fiction collides with reality.(Oh wait. Now, I get that other joke and instantly wish I hadn't.) Otherwise, the movie serves as an object lesson as to why one should not use Norman Mailer as a role model and never, ever go to a doctor one finds on Craigslist. Seriously, I don't know what the movie is trying to say, as all of the central characters can simply be written off as screw-ups, even Jack, who has his own secret. If they had been struggling to get anywhere, that would have been a definite improvement and would have grounded the movie in some kind of reality.
½ June 19, 2013
I've never watched a full episode of Arrested Development and I still could see this was a boring ripoff of it.
June 18, 2013
a good cast and good directing, but the movie falls very flat and ver very lacking in laughs
hunterjt13
June 13, 2013
When an author writes an expose about his dysfunctional family, the annual birthday get-together erupts.
I liked the premise for this film; it's an opportunity to say something about art, authorship, and familial relationships. But instead of being a round character, at one point, the author has to fuck away a surgically induced hard-on. Each of the characters is given his/her cliched identity, a mold that amounts to a mere type. They're all boring people, and none of the situations is a particularly compelling, identifiable conflict. One brother is pursued by loan sharks, one goes to a peep house, and a sister doesn't like the eponymous novel -- boring, boringer, and boringest.
The worst part of the film is that all the lead-up amounts to a climactic scene that is anything but a climax. A bunch of people scream at each other. Ho hum.
Overall, this film could have been interesting if the scrapped almost everything in the script.
½ June 13, 2013
crap, yawn......zeeeeeeee (Sarah Silverman you have the most annoying voice sista)
½ June 4, 2013
Kinda of an overly pathetic attempt at drama. The set up isn't bad, but the characters get upset about the most annoying, mundane, things... makes you view them as immature and stupid. I mean, a woman getting upset with her husband for masturbating? Grow up, sister. It happens everyday in every home. The recognizable faces don't help much either. They are just kind of there, with little development and a, simply put, boring script to work from.
May 1, 2013
It was a good idea, but the final product is not as funny or compelling as I would have hoped. The first hour is boring and the jokes don't work. Nathan, the main character is extremely unlikeable. You never really get to know what Peep World, the book, is really about. Michael C. Hall and Rainn Wilson are the ones who make the movie a little interesting, but their talents are wasted.
½ April 24, 2013
stupid movie about crazy family!