Peking Opera Blues Reviews

• Sep 25, 2016

This interesting comedy is about the mishaps and adventures of three women, the daughter and rebel of a general, the daughter of a opera troupe, and a thief. All their paths cross when they get mixed up in political intrigue and even some action, for a very interesting little film from Tsui Hark in his early days.

• Jan 08, 2016

Peking Opera Blues is, for all intents and purposes, a Shakespearian farce set in early-20th century Japan. In fact, with all of the gender-bending and with so much of the story taking place on/revolving around an actual stage, it's shocking that it isn't an adaptation of one of Shakespeare's works. The comedy also works in the vein of a Shakespearean play, silly slapstick and absurd coincidences generating a majority of the laughs, though there's an emphasis on choreography and action that make it something of its own. Though the tone is ridiculously campy, this is by no means a brainless film; there's quite a bit of commentary on the performance of gender and the ways in which women have to stand up to institutionalized forms of oppression. The direction is also worth mentioning, the intricately composed visual flourishes signaling that Tsui has a masterful grasp on how to put this kind of work together .

• Sep 03, 2012

viewed on 7/9/04 (Tues) I used to go ga-ga over Tsui Hark's movies and I confidently claimed that he is our Eastern Steven Spielberg. I like ONCE UPON IN CHINA and SWORDSMAN. I love his BUTTERFLY LOVERS. I LOVE GREEN SNAKE. I even love a little unknown film by him called THE BLADE. I also love some of the films produced by him which have his directing style like NEW DRAGON GATE INN and A CHINESE GHOST STORY. That is of course before he was somehow 'destroyed' by Hollywood. PEKING OPERA BLUES is an action-comedy and it was only a preview to what a brilliant entertainer Tsui Hark was about to become. The laughs and action are wall-to-wall! I was captivated not only by the sly humour but a very well-written tight script that leaves not even a second for the viewers to feel bored. Yet it is still able to squeeze in some heartfelt moments of patrotism, sisterhood love and romance. It is a great achievement in wondorous entertainment and if Hollywood has a chance to release this and his other movies in US, they will be very pleasantly surprised. Forget about DOUBLE TEAM and KNOCK OFF! I was very tempted to give a grade A to this film because it reminds so much of all the good films made by Tsui Hark, my long lost idol. Wherever you are, idol, I hope you know I really missed movies you used to make. Ok. Maybe not a grade A but ... Rating: A-

• Jul 29, 2012

One of Tsui's best, juggling several characters and subplots, layered with comedy and action.

• Apr 23, 2012

Adventorous, all-female-stars homage to Peking Opera by a director so much in debt with it. Claque, please - clap clap clap...

• Apr 19, 2012

There is something for everyone in this film. Every conceivable genre is at the very least hinted at covering everything from action, to romance, to comedy and everything in between. This could result in an incoherent and mess of a film, but instead comes across as an utterly charming and ridiculously fun two hours. The shear level of absurdity and excess is enough to make the film entertaining, but there is enough substance in the performances and design of the film to make it slightly more that cotton candy fun, but not enough to ruin the pure enjoyment.

• Mar 12, 2012

Would definitely have benefited from longer takes during key action sequences

Would definitely have benefited from longer takes during key action sequences

• Tsubaki S Super Reviewer
    Sep 02, 2011

Comedy, action, political intrigue and what not. One of Tsui Hark's best, they really don't make them like they use to.

• Aug 31, 2011

Excellent!?Great cast,good actions,drama,romance,3 beautiful female cast,comedy,great musics and suspense storyline.This is a prefect movie even I don't get the ending that I want.Without a doubt ,Peking Opera Blues is truly one of the Director Tsui Hark's best.This is a Must See,Flixster friends.

• Dec 07, 2010

Tsui Hark rebounds tenfold from the awful Zu with this near masterpiece of the Hong Kong Action Cinema form. It's a melting pot of genres, and is equal parts funny, exciting, and disturbing. Its also one of the few Kung Fu films to feature a strong set of female leads, so overall I say this is a definite win.