Películas para no dormir: Regreso a Moira (Films to Keep You Awake: Spectre) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Películas para no dormir: Regreso a Moira (Films to Keep You Awake: Spectre) Reviews

½ February 23, 2014
Second entry in the series and I'm still unimpressed. This time atleast I was given an interesting story with a good ending... but no not "horror", and no, I will sleep just fine tonight.
November 25, 2013
A simple, slow-paced yet effective ghost story. I seem to really enjoy Spanish ghost tales.
½ October 3, 2013
A slow moving ghostly horror film. Told as two parallel tales about the same character -- as a teen experiencing first love and small town small-mindedness and superstition, and as an old man returning to the village of his youth and learning that the superstition may not have been all wrong. The two stories come together just before the ending that was intended to b e a shock but that I saw coming. Reminds me in many ways of Japanese horror films.
bbcfloridabound
½ April 10, 2013
This was my first experience of the series of Spanish TV horror films collectively entitled 6 Films To Keep You Awake, and I was really somewhat surprised by how much it struck me, how affecting I found it. It tells of an old man, Tomas who is sent a Tarot card and returns to his childhood town in order to see who sent it, remembering as he does so his teenage romance with a lonely lady who he befriended. Thought the film at first gives the impression that it is due to be more spooky, as it goes on it moves away from horror territory, it is more a slow burning and poignant look at young love, its consequences and the passage of time, it has supernatural accoutrements but the film is mostly drama and it does remarkably well in its small run time. Writer/director Mateo Gil spins a compelling tale rich in hot, languid atmosphere, the flashbacks that take up much of the film hum with a sad, nostalgic longing but the modern day scenes have a contrasting adept chill. The performances all come off nicely, Juan José Ballesta has the appropriate shades of lust, curiosity and naiveté as young Tomas while Jordi Dauder is drawn and tired as his older self. Natalia Millán is very fine as the lonely and beautiful Moira, sensual, mysterious and kindly, mixing attraction and inscrutability very well. Decent performances come too from David Arnaiz and Adrián Marín as friends of young Tomas, and slightly frayed, colder turns from José Ángel Egido and Miguel Rellán as their older counterparts. The film is a little predictable and its scope is slight, but I found myself unusually moved, its quiet chills, and classic story combined with beautiful presentation and ever useful messages (against jealousy, superstition and mob mentality) make for a thoroughly classy and enthralling time. Well recommended for those who enjoy MR James style horror or creepy drama fare, though fans of fast paces and boo scares should avoid. 4 1/2 Stars 4-9-13
March 28, 2012
A good, solid ghost story with a bit of a twist.
May 1, 2011
I wanted to like this but for a horror film, it was predicatable.
Worth a watch once.
November 11, 2010
Subtle and spooky story of an old man who returns to his home village still obsessed by his affair, as a youth, with a woman thought to be a witch. Is it guilt over the betrayal that lead to her murder, or something more that haunts him and lures him back?
August 22, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

A good entry in the 6 Films to Keep You Awake set. Intriguing and well-acted.
John2223
February 26, 2010
An stylish Spanish ghost movie in the J-Horror style that is slow moving and delivers some spooky moments.
½ January 17, 2010
This is a slow moving ghost story that almost has an Asian style to it. It has some decent atmosphere and a good story to it. It goes from present time to flashbacks and it has a little bit of a twist to the movie, in which I did not expect. The acting was pretty good. The only problem I had with it was that it was too slow, but the ending was kind of worth seeing.
½ December 20, 2009
Para comprender que el terror no solo significa -sangre-.
December 13, 2009
Effective Spanish ghost story with a subtle and creepy atmosphere.
½ December 3, 2009
Slow-going murder mystery/ghost story. Better of the '6 Films to Keep You Awake' with plot, but otherwise, fairly boring tale of tragic romance.
December 2, 2009
Kind of haunting, and well acted, but nothing special
November 8, 2009
well umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch,.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie...i think that adrian marin, david arnaiz, natalie millian, juanjose ballesta, jordi dauder, victoria mora play good roles/parts thorughout this movie.....i think that the director of this horror/thriller/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie...i think that this is a freaky movie but this is a really good freaky movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie
½ November 2, 2009
Not particularly scary. Disappointing ending too. Was there something lost in translation perhaps?
October 31, 2009
A decent ghost story, well told and atmospherically photographed.
October 17, 2009