Penny Dreadful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Penny Dreadful Reviews

July 13, 2016
It was absolutely wonderful up until season 3.
August 17, 2015
Rachel Miner whines and snivels, and the scares are few and far between.
½ June 24, 2015
The set up is a lot better then the actual movie.
½ May 25, 2015
Wtf is this naked ass looking demon things????? Hey aren't even hot correction no one is hot in this what a horrible waste of my tvs time I came home and saw my cat watching it then it got up and jumped into a wall. We all know why like Jesus if u actually watch this ur prolly a hermit that sits in ur little corner of the couch played it ps4 for 9 hours a day and has to be paid to go hang out with ur "friends" ???
December 17, 2014
Penny Dreadful Movie Review!

This movie is so full of potential, and has a premise so interesting, that it's pretty sad to see how it goes downhill.

The premise is about a young woman who suffers from motorphobia (fear of cars) and is entrapped by a homicidal hitchhiker on such. Hi-jinks ensue.

The visuals are nice, the acting is also well done. The story itself is rather interesting and sometimes it's strange. Some secondary characters appear around the movie solely to further the plot; nothing further.

The ending of the movie is what drives the rating down. It just seems so unnecessary and poorly executed that it makes me cringe at the fact that I liked this movie for the rest.

So in the end, this is a 4 out of 10 (2 stars). It's slightly below average
½ September 27, 2014
*Note* I've actually turned this movie off twice before finishing it. That is how bad it is.

First off, the film is obviously low budget(limited cast and set.) With that said, it does well with what it has to work with. Good visuals, mostly competent actors, etc. The problem with this film is the fact that it centers around Penny and her phobias/anxieties. It makes it very hard to relate to her, even leading to frustration with her character.

Without ruining the plot, the movie drags, tons of holes in logic, and can get very boring. I found myself watching it waiting for common sense to hit. This is one of those movies that you have to endure, and when it's over, just leaves you frustrated. Would not recommend, would not watch again, 1/2 star.
½ September 21, 2014
Sept 2014 - don't bother
July 6, 2014
that girl can scream and act
½ June 26, 2014
A slasher film of exceptionally successful suspense but not much sense to the story. Well acted and well directed.
½ May 14, 2014
Very good pilot and episode 2
January 25, 2014
OK..., that WAS scary.
½ October 2, 2013
A colossal borer of a horror. When a movie contains these elements

A) has a main character who does nothing but scream or panic (or, most frequently, scream AND panic)
B) is shot in the dark, so when a camera points at something you have no clue what you're supposed to see
C) 75% of the time is confined to a cramped car interior
D) every scene goes on for at least 3 minutes too long - if it isn't scary to begin with, extending will not by magic make it scarier
E) the biggest name in the cast spends a third of their screen time acting as a corpse
F) features a screenplay that feels like a 12-page first draft
G) the direction lacks any skill at building tension or suspense
H) after 50 arduous minutes finally forces the viewer to find something better to do, without provoking even a fleeting wonder about what happens next

then that movie is an utter FAILURE, undeserving of anything but the worst rating available. Dreadful indeed.
September 29, 2013
As far as After Dark Horrorfest films go, this one was quite good. The plot concerns a young woman who, due to surviving a car crash which killed her parents, has a phobia of actually being in a car. With her therapist, and during her therapy session to overcome this fear, she picks up a hitchhiker who later traps her in the car and terrorizes her in the middle of a forest.

This movie is basically a slasher, as many random people gradually get killed by the insane hitchhiker, however there is a "psychological-horror" side to the plot, as we witness the girl constantly being exposed to the thing she fears the most, and having to choose between overcoming her phobia or escaping from it and coming face-to-face with a maniac in the outside. The ending even has a twist which leaves us feeling it is almost impossible to escape from fear and terror.

Overall, this is a good little flick with an interesting concept, especially for people who are personally familiar with phobias. Maybe even one of the best After Dark films to date.
September 9, 2013
I'll tell you what's dreadful...
September 3, 2013
Rachel Miner is an incredibly talented unknown actress - her tears and fear feels real and transposes well, despite being over a cliche psycho-messing-around-for-no-reason plot.
May 14, 2013
This is probably the worst Horrorfest movie i've seen. First of all, it's not scary and only a little suspenseful. It's not bloody or gory (which most Horrorfest movies are). But it's good to watch on a rainy day.
½ April 27, 2013
not really scaring and with no visible basement for whats going on. it seemed like its personal, but it was too foggy to understand why.
½ January 18, 2013
One of the best movies I saw from the horror fest last year. A suspense in the true sense; this is well executed.
½ January 12, 2013
a very creepy grab-your-ankles thriller that is sure to frighten audiences with its dark and creepy imagery.
January 1, 2013
Yeah its nothing spectacular but as far as the after dark horror films go this is the best one I've seen yet,and it has some jump out of your seat moments