The Pentagon Wars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pentagon Wars Reviews

September 27, 2016
More tongue-in-cheek satire than history, The Pentagon Wars still captures the zeitgeist of the cold war when pockets ran deep for defense projects. Kelsey Grammer joyfully chews the scenery, while Cary Elwes conveys the frustration that the straight man must feel in his situation.
April 15, 2016
So sad its HILARIOUS
February 24, 2016
it was a bit hard to focus as I'm not really inclined toward military subject matter, but if you like satires based on true stories, you'll like this one. Elwes, fantastic as always.
July 16, 2014
Great dialogue and some goofy effective humor about the exaggeration of the stupidity of people in charge...wish it stuck more to the humor and didn't fall back on bad tropes and speeches so often.
February 6, 2014
A scathing humorous critique of ineffective military weapon production
½ April 21, 2013
Skirting a somewhat uneasy line between the serious and the absurd, THE PENTAGON WARS is a modestly entertaining (and at least partially true) yarn, despite its tonal inconsistencies. The cast features a great line-up of character actors, and while - for the most part - everyone is good (Cary Elwes, especially), some embrace fairly broad characterizations (verging on going over-the-top and theatrical), while others go for a more realistic approach. This is symptomatic of the overall tone, which is caught trying to balance the subtly satiric and the more overtly silly (like a high-speed chase to stop a truckload of sheep, for instance); it feels like the movie should have gone all-in with one direction or the other (I'd have gone for the full-on satire, but that's just me). Having said that, the movie is consistently enjoyable, the dialogue is snappy, and despite its low budget, it's a fairly well produced endeavor.
October 1, 2012
4 out of 5.

A really funny movie based on a true story about the douchebaggery that occurred during the development of the U.S Bradely troop carrying, recon vehicle, tank thing
LOL ???

I really enjoyed this movie......
July 24, 2012
An amazing black comedy if you consider this movie is based on ACTUAL FACT, and that our military CONTINUES TO OPERATE LIKE THIS. One of those really amazing movies that will leave you sick thinking of the real life ramifications. Next time you think about how our military is made up of the best, just watch this movie and then do a little research to learn this story also applies to the Abrams, Stryker and a plethora of other so called 'worlds greatest' fieled by our military.
March 4, 2012
A true gem.

Direct-to-TV but a full movie experience. A great insight in great waste of money in a great administration. Here in Pentagon and in the war industry, but this could reaaly be about any kind of enterprise or state department.

The strange part is that a lot of this is true. There has been some creative dramatization made here, but life in itself is just enough sometimes to create a great story to base a movie upon.

Kelsey Grammar/Sideshow Bob is great, really good in this one. Too bad he doesn't do more of this stuff.
½ February 29, 2012
It was good not as funny as I thought it be though maybe a laugh here and there but thats about it
February 2, 2011
Pentagon Wars is to military waste, bureaucracy and skullduggery what Idiocracy was to contemporary times and attitudes.
This movie is darkly funny, laugh out loud hilarious and shake your head ironic in parts and tells the true story of the procurement of just one Pentagon weapons system.
This should be required viewing for all Americans in fact.....It is that good for the kind of movie it is.
Good characters & acting and fine script writing.
½ December 13, 2010
What I liked the most about this one was knowing all of the events have actually happened.

A funny movie about a reality that's absurd!
August 11, 2010
Starts out funny and witty, but sinks when it changes tone to cheesy drama. Kelsey Grammer is excellent but Cary Elwes is pretty bad.
½ August 11, 2010
Actually a pretty funny movie about ignorance run amok within circles of high ranking military officials. Could have done with a little less Cary Elwes though.
April 25, 2010
Why this didn't get more press and air time I have no idea. An excellent commentary on government and military logic on display through showing the development process of the Bradley. Plenty of humor.
April 14, 2010
This movie has quite an irony with our projects! why our projects fail, it has a funny answer.. watch it pals esp. from IT
January 26, 2010
Wonderful exposition of US military incompetence.
September 11, 2009
A great made-for-HBO movie with Cary Elwes and Kelsey Grammer. A comedic story of the battle for honest work vs. Washington insider favors and back-scratching. This story was about the development of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle in particular, but could be applied to many Washington endeavors (M14 v. AR-15, for example). Would be a great watch with another made-for-HBO political comedy, The Second Civil War.
½ July 1, 2009
Hillarious and provocing truth-telling piece of reality!
It's about how the IFV Bradley was made...and probably noting has changed since then.

Bill Murray-style humour at times, but being based on a true story, it's mind-blowing..
May 10, 2009
Fun movie about the shortcomings of the DoD weapons acquistion process, but probably best appreciated by those that live it or have lived it.