People Will Talk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

People Will Talk Reviews

June 13, 2016
A very strange movie about a strange doctor. Cary Grant gives a great performance, and Hume Cronyn is great too. Probably way too long. I liked it, but it's kind of oddball. It doesn't fully work. But worth seeing.
May 17, 2016
This was a decent character drama about an OB-GYN whose methods and practices are being questioned. Cary Grant makes this a tolerable experience, where it could have been really bad with someone less engaging. There are several moments that I really enjoyed in the film, perhaps the funniest was when 3 grown men are playing with toy trains. I liked the mystery of who Shunderson was, and the puzzle of how he fit into Dr. Praetorius' life. I also really enjoyed the drama created when he does all he can to save a patient who is pregnant and despairs over her "ruined" life. The problem in the film is that it has a lot of extremely bland parts and performances, several characters behave in very illogical ways, and it occasionally seems to detour in order to push some agenda. It is my understanding that this was a film that was created by the writer/director to further his liberal agenda in response to McCarthyism. There's nothing inherently wrong with the views expressed in the film, but it took some of the more personal character development that they were working towards and instead lifted the actors onto a soapbox to make a point. It threatens to cripple the whole movie, but I still felt there were enough enjoyable moments that I would probably watch People Will Talk again. I doubt I would recommend it, though.
May 7, 2016
Cary Grant in one of his most boring roles in one of the too-many preposterous romance films made in USA.
December 31, 2015
People Will Talk is an amazing film. It is about Dr. Noah Praetorius who falls in love with Debra, a student. Cary Grant and Jeanne Crain give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Joseph L. Mankiewicz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and romance. People Will Talk is a must see.
July 4, 2015
The script is superior, especially the scripts today with wearingly overuse of the f world
½ June 22, 2015
World class Cary Grant and world class Joseph M. Mankiewicz
½ June 20, 2015
You've got the wrong frog.

Doctor Noah Praetorius is a physician that falls in love with a woman who one day falls on his doorstep. She is pregnant by an ex-boyfriend she wants nothing to do with. She also comes from a very unique family, background, and living situation. He also becomes under investigation by the hospital board. The doctor tries to balance his personal and professional life.

"Never look a gift horse in the mouse."
"I never look any horse in the mouth."

Joseph L. Mankiewicz, director of Guys and Dolls, Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, The Honey Pot, Escape, Dragonwyck, and House of Strangers delivers People Will Talk. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. The characters are unique though a bit stretched for such an intricate plot. The cast delivers remarkable performances and includes Cary Grant, Jeanne Crain, Sidney Blackner, Hume Cronyn, and Finlay Currie.

"Are you crying again?"

This was recently added to the Netflix classic online queue so I had to watch it. This was a very entertaining film that was masterfully executed by Grant. This is far from his best film, there's a bit too much going on, but this is a classic film that displays Grant's greatness.

"You're even littler than you were before."

Grade: B-
½ May 27, 2015
An unusual Grant film, as he plays an unorthodox doctor (one who cares about his patients with a capital "C"), filled less with comedy than with preaching. And talk about implausible, the work is ripe with unbelievable actions, unbelievable motivations, unbelievable conclusions. In point of fact only the presence of Grant allows this tripe any hearing time at all. And the film is well aware of that fact.
October 14, 2014
A strange morality tale about...doctors treating patients well??? The film tries to take some big moral stance on something that seems unneeded. I guess it's a stance of science vs. superstition, but it's mostly handled so heavy-handed that it really weights down the movie. Cary Grant is fine, he's actually rather convincing as a doctor. The "love story" is very weak, never felt that they had anything romantic going on until the discovery that she was pregnant. Definitely lesser Cary Grant (and Joseph L. Mankiewicz).
½ January 11, 2014
This film is still interesting to watch.
Cary Grant was good at both Serious and Comedy roles.
hunterjt13
November 9, 2013
A doctor treats and loves a pregnant woman amid scandals about the morality of his past.
Predictable but charming, Joseph L. Mankiewicz once again proves why he's one of my favorite classic directors. His stories are tightly constructed, and the performances by his actors are always fun but with a kind of depth that many directors of his time weren't able to manage. Cary Grant, the great gentleman of classic film, is alternatively charming and petulant, able to convey a strength of character that is absent in present-day movie stars.
I would have liked the film to be more morally ambiguous. The entire question of the film is whether or not Grant's character harbor some deep, black secret (as though one could be such a question on Grant), and by the time we realize he's as pure as he purports to be, it's like we been shown a box that contains a treasure, but once the box is opened, we discover it's only a scrap of paper reading, "Fooled you."
Overall, I enjoyed People Will Talk, but the compelling story is not flawless.
½ October 23, 2013
Cary Grant is in top form in this movie about the absurdity of political correctness. While the concept is great and the script is quite good, the actual screenplay doesn't quite achieve what it was intended to do.
½ February 15, 2013
You can't go wrong with Cary Grant, and this was one I'd never seen. Off-beat, but enjoyable.
February 10, 2013
People Will Talk is a hysterical film, filled with wit and ingenious puns throughout. The screenplay by Mankiewicz ( who also directed the film) was filled with great dialogue. I wasn't only looking forward to what would happen next, but what would be said next. Dr. Praetorius is a new favorite character of mine, and as the epilogue suggests I wish he did exist, if he didn't of course. My favorite scene of the film was the train set. The miscommunication and childishness of it all brought loads of laughter. The informal trial scene was the second that stood out, and was a touching but still quirky scene. I loved this film, classy comedy and should get more recognition than it does.
December 30, 2012
My top 5 favorite movies of all time.
½ August 3, 2012
A film that is less about the comedic prowess of the incomparable Cary Grant or even about the semblance of a plot, and more of a political and moral tale that addresses very little and pushes the envelope for its time. Director Joseph L. Mankiewicz pulls some truly rash decisions in writing the dialogue for this film, in times being cute and full of genuine humor and at others being obviously and obnoxiously interested in singular political dealings. Grant is usually either a debonair action hero, sweet tempered authority figure, or a romantic lead. He has many faces, many characters that flourish from witty scripts and beautiful leading ladies. Here his character is so flat and uninteresting that there is little to hold on to. He is depicted as a doctor and professor who cares for people and...that seems to be it. He's good. That is his sole characteristic, and he plays it to the best of his wholesome ability. Pair that with the situation of an unmarried young woman who he falls in love with and you would think there would be calamity, chaos, and comedy throughout. Instead it's this long paced, overwrought piece of American influence, rather than a film about anything that really matters. The chemistry between Grant and Crain is basically nonexistent. He pities her, they have a couple of trite conversations and he secretly, quietly marries her. The rest of the film is killing time to build the ending up to a gravitas level. The ending itself is also long and makes little sense to the rest of the film. It's just as pointless and self indulgent as the rest, though it references back to the beginning with a conservative professor who tries to foil him which goes nowhere. Though it is slow and overtly heavyhanded, some of the supporting characters are quite quirky and eccentric, but it's not a film that finds its humor in wit or even pratfalls but built up oddities and humorless storytelling. The entire point of the film or even its moral is lost or nonexistent. There is very little to enjoy in this except another goofy Grant performance where he lets himself become childlike in front of the camera. Still, it's little consolation for a life lesson that was unwanted to begin with.
½ July 10, 2012
Funny, but that's about it. I'm not too keen on old black and white films, so it didn't surprise me when this one wasn't any different and I wasn't thoroughly impressed, nor entertained.
½ May 21, 2012
Why this film is classified as a Comedy is beyond me. it is a decent Drama about loose talk and slander.
April 2, 2012
If you can ignore the "painting with broad strokes" typical of the era (halos for the good guy, horns for the bad guy), this film has a lot to offer in thoughtfulness. Luckily it is only 110 minutes long, because there is a lot of ignoring to do.
½ February 18, 2012
Chatty and imperfect but it's a fine anti-McCathry comedy.