The Perez Family - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perez Family Reviews

June 29, 2013
Very funny and a perfect story!!
April 14, 2013
celia cruz should have appeared more! i give it 3 stars!
October 2, 2012
Will help you sleep at night.
½ June 17, 2012
My only knock on this movie was that it would have been nice if hollywood would have case Cubans to play the Cubans. Otherwise it's a pretty good movie.
½ December 17, 2011
Good movie with a "Feel good" ending.
March 26, 2011
The most touching and socially timely movie of our time. Claro que se trata de cubanos pero we have a country full of emigrants who need the same level of compassion and acceptance as the The Perez Family regardless of national origin.
½ March 10, 2011
A very cool movie. Interesting specially Marisa Tomei looking for john wain
February 1, 2011
Nice watching experience
January 22, 2011
Marisa Tomei gives an amazing performance, there is subtle and not-so-subtle humor in all the right places, the story will keep you on your feet, and the ending is just right. Very cute.
December 31, 2010
I think they did a good job, but got sad when I saw Celia Cruz.......I miss her musica!!!!
½ September 30, 2010
A ridiculous comedy, which seems to have a much worthy cast than this film gives it credit; Chaz Palminteri, Angelica Houston, Marissa Tomei and Vincent Gallo all of whom have appeared in much better quality films.

The idea as a film is quite comical I guess, collecting family members to create a fiamily, but it was simply a film with a little bit of potential that went horribly wrong.
August 2, 2010
The Perez Family wasn't what I had expected at all. It was better.

All that I had expected out of this film was a few laughs due to funny, but overused mistaken identity jokes. There is so much more to this little gem. I laughed, cried, and cared about these characters and what was happening to them.

The characters themselves were colorful and over the top at times. Perhaps that is what held my interest. They were so different that I am. Yet I could, for the most part, understand what that they were going through.

This film is worth at least a second viewing. When it first started, I had no idea that I would feel this way, when it was over.
½ June 9, 2010
Det var så länge sen jag såg den, men jag minns den som Marisa Tomeis bästa roll. Hon är lite som en latinsk "Susan var är du"...
September 16, 2009
I watched this last night!! It was so good.
½ August 22, 2009
Qwirky. Tomea is nice to watch in it.
May 7, 2009
The charm of the direction of Mira Nair compensates the errors of the screenplay.
½ April 16, 2009
"Pretty good movie but mostly because of Marisa Tomei's great performance."
½ April 7, 2009
I'm torn about this movie. On the one hand I want to say its a good movie and very interesting. It brings up a lot of things I never really thought about... and makes you wonder what happens to families that immigrate to the US and become displaced or separated from each other and just how our government 'handles' those people and what freedom really means in this context.... and then I realize none of the main characters are played by actual Cubans or even Hispanics.... yeah not sure how I feel about that. Don't get me wrong... I love Angelica Houston and Marisa Tomei, but this movie just comes off feeling disingenuous.
February 20, 2009
A film that can get you lost very quickly, and it shifts gears so quickly between themes, so that's essentially what is going to happen. The mediocre direction and the bad script don't help a great cast of actors, especially Marisa Tomei's great, extremely sexy and convincing yet over-the-top performance. (Although her over-the-top performance is clearly not her fault, in fact none of the actors in this film do a bad job.) One of the worst things about this film is that Alfred Molina sometimes has to carry the picture by himself. Again, this film dabbles too much into culture the director herself expects the audience to care about. In fact, it's easy to care about it, but the culture is dug into so deep, it's like the filmmakers forgot there ever was a story to this movie, and as a result, the plot almost blows off into the wind. The exotic cinematography is nice to look at. In short, it's a fair, watchable film.
½ November 13, 2008
Review will be written when/if re-watched (Probability: Zero).

First viewing: 18.05.2003