A Perfect Candidate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Perfect Candidate Reviews

December 17, 2011
'A Perfect Candidate' is the political documentary Michael Moore will aspire to make for his entire career and will probably never match. This documentary is easily the most honest portrayal of what politics have turned into in America today, that i have seen. Chuck Robb is absolutely clueless. The scene of him wondering a grocery store for people to meet is the definition of socially retarded. Oliver North is unbelievably creepy. I wouldn't go as far as calling him a modern day, non-violent Daniel Plainview but that is pretty close. Mark Goodwin talking about political strategy throughout is brutally depressing. Required viewing for everyone who votes in the United States.
June 29, 2010
½ June 16, 2009
Good but dry documentary about one of the more interesting elections of the 1990s (both candidates had serious skeletons in their closets and North draws a lot of interest from people who both love him and hate him). I don't think the filmmakers skewed it to one side of the other of the political spectrum, although the main focus is obviously on North. If politics is not your thing though, you probably are going to be board to tears. It's not as interesting as some of the more provocative political documentaries, but that is because they do not spend much time on the fringe lunatics who make for the best watching.
December 21, 2008
I'm a political nerd, I love this stuff.
December 19, 2008
the campaign managers really seem to be self-consciously immitating roles from the War Room - which is at first kind of funny but quickly gets excruciating. but overall, the senate race and sociological issues are really stark and well documented. and as a fairly objective and simple presentation of the Culture War in america, it was refreshingly accurate and concise. def. worth watching.
½ November 1, 2008
A great inside-look of Oliver North's 1994 unsuccessful US Senate bid in Virginia against scandalized incumbent Democrat Charles Robb. Campaign managers of the future, big lesson to learn: don't let your opponent go negative on you while you try to float above the fray.
October 27, 2008
A documentary about Ollie North's 1994 unsuccessful bid for the US Senate in Virginia. Though the documentary itself is not remarkable, it gives an interesting insight into US senatorial campaigns. And, of course, it has Ollie North.
½ October 12, 2008
The one bright spot for Democrats in 1994 was Oliver North's failed senatorial bid. This documentary, like a schadenfreude "War Room", unfolds from the perspective of his comically misguided campaign staff.
April 10, 2008
"Ira Hayes....
Ira Hayes....
Call him drunken Hayes,
He won't answer anymore.
Not the whiskey drunken Indian or the man who went to war."
February 19, 2008
A great political movie. Chronicles the 1994 Virginia Senate race where Virginians were forced to choose between (as one voter put it) "mumps and measles." The democratic nominee was Chuck Robb, an adulterer and accused drug user. The Republican was Oliver North, who, a few years ago had been indited for selling weapons to Iran. The movie is surprisingly funny, and a great reference for learning a Virginia accent.
February 11, 2008
It's a good movie, but its best moments are the ones that have a greater impact in retrospect. The grimacing Dick Cheney at a Oliver North fundraiser; North giving speeches that could have been directly lifted from Obama's repertoire; Mark Warner looming behind Chuck Robb.
½ January 17, 2008
It was 1am in the morning and I had just learned of Netflix's unlimited online downloads, so I checked this film out about Ollie North's unsuccessful Senate bid in 1994. It was a fascinating film for us political junkies. What was eerie though was that I feel like North was the Republican parties first attempt at a Bush-type candidate to win over evangelicals - the folksy, simple, born-again, patriotic, freedom-loving, compassionate, white guy who can seduce potential voters with a wink of an eye. Too bad he is the exact opposite of that - most notably a main criminal participant of the Iran-Contra scandal...oops. North's campaign manager in the film did make a good point though, that elections are all about dividing people while securing your base of voters, while governing is about uniting people and that disconnect makes for some sleezy, negative campaigns and some ineffective politicians. Anyone who likes politics and campaigns should watch this film.
January 14, 2008
Mike Huckabee? i agree
½ December 26, 2007
A documentary about Ollie North's ill-fated Senatorial run in 1994. Will leave you with a bleak view of American politics.
½ December 10, 2007
is it just me, or did Ollie remind you of GW? Scary. Movie is okay, but gets old pretty quick. The subjects are almost too dense to be interesting.
½ December 9, 2007
further proves that all politicians are are lying scumsuckers. nothing new here.
½ October 19, 2007
Virginia and US politics at its worse!
October 18, 2007
We had to watch this in my government class. I thought it was funny how people slam each other and how dirty politics can be.
July 3, 2007
When right-wing icon Oliver North tried his hand at electoral politics in 1994, running for a U.S. Senate seat in Virginia, documentary filmmakers R.J. Cutler and David Van Taylor came along to record all the action. The access given to the fil...
June 28, 2007
a really good, unbiased look at the way american politics is run