The Perfect Sleep - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perfect Sleep Reviews

January 22, 2012
I've always enjoyed any film related to noir, but this one was just a step too far - yes, it has impressive visuals for such a low-budget movie, but does the plot actually go anywhere? It's a muddle of past, present and future tenses without explanation, and the characterisation is pretty poor; the anti-hero, or whatever he is, talks about dames that the audience has never seen before, and we're expected to understand exactly what's going on. It's gory and patriarchal, like any neo-noir should be, but there's always the sense of unoriginality - the film strives to do something different, but ends up just using the cliches associated with noir without even entertaining. The only reason you'd watch this film is for the cinematography and visual style but, even then, you're probably better off watching the actually good "Sin City". It's like "The Lady from Shanghai" on acid.
July 14, 2011
You might not have the perfect sleep once you start watching this movie, but you'll come close enough. I wanted to turn this off after 10 minutes but stuck it out. Not worth it. At least I got a huge belly laugh out of the closing credits song. Then I saw it was written and sung by Dave Vanian and I was depressed.
February 12, 2011
a guilty pleasure. although not superbly well acted (except for tony amendola and anton pardoe who also wrote & produced it). for something that's obviously low budget... give pardoe a break. film noir fan!!!
February 1, 2011
always liked noir gen films....
½ October 2, 2010
forfaerdelig kedelig og amatoeragtig film-noir pastice. Titlen bliver tragikomisk da jeg praktisk talt ikke kunne holde mig vaagen under filmen GAAAB
July 18, 2010
"Will I ever get it?"
June 10, 2010
This movie's title seemingly refers not to anything within the movie, but rather where it will leave its audience. While the cinematography and the sporadic self-referential humor are assets here, the unending, droning voice-over narration and exposition are too much. There is seriously about an hour and twenty minutes worth of explaining the plot convolutions and then a quick and entertaining climax. The end of the film belongs to a much better movie. Perhaps taking a cue from the title, most of the actors seem to somnambulate through their roles. Only Patrick Bauchau as the primary antagonist impresses.
March 21, 2010
aineksia hienoon suoritukseen. harmi kun jäi vain keskinkertaiseksi
3niR
January 31, 2010
Is this suppose to be funny? Lame.
January 28, 2010
couldn't even complete the damn movie......
January 17, 2010
An interesting attempt to revive film noir, but ultimately fails due to a dull story line, poor acting and overly referential direction
½ December 26, 2009
Good bit of Noir with a healthy dollop of Shakespeare. Noir is all about style...German Impressionism meets American Gangster Flicks...and this film has a firm grip on the style. More importantly the flick sees the cliches and works them from the opening scene onwards.

Let's face it. With Noir you either 'get it' or you don't. You either enjoy it...or you don't. I'm a big Noir fan...going back to 'The Stranger On The Third Floor'...so this was an enjoyable experience for me....especially the way the genre uses and abuses language. :-)

Recommended for Film Noir fans but only for Noir fans.
½ December 22, 2009
7/10: A very good noir film; crime, paranoia, sharp shadows, hard-boiled dialog, elaborate conspiracies, femme fatales, sudden violence, and a foreboding sense that fate is a cruel mistress indeed. They don't make such movies anymore.
½ November 15, 2009
If Ash from Evil Dead had a cousin this guy could be it! Takes a beating and keeps on ticking. The only major problem I had with this movie is the abundance of soliloquies... The mad doctor is a classic! Has a confusing mix of Italian, Indian and Japanese gangster feel to it that somehow works.
½ October 18, 2009
one word, boring. it never reeled me in and never really cared. the acting, settings and atmosphere are all good
½ October 7, 2009
Tedious voice over narration to guide us through this lackluster attempt at neo-noir
October 1, 2009
Took me 4 tries to get through the whole thing. It's certainly got it's moments. But it's got some awful ones as well.
September 22, 2009
a bit on the sllloooowwwww side but everytime you are about to go god this is slow it picks up enough to keep you interested...the doctor in this is funny evn though he is not supposed to be...the ending a little predictable but good enough to not feel like you got ripped off...