Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer Reviews

July 25, 2016
Not going to lie, I still don't know how to feel about this film. It's so incredibly stylish, yet I can't decide if it crossed the line of being creepy and went straight for shock.

After a little bit of reflecting I have to admit I DO like this movie- and would even watch it again. If anything maybe I can make some more sense of it.
½ May 25, 2016
One of my all time favourite movies....I don't get the bad reviews. Certainly it is gruesome and horrific but at the same time it is spell binding. I recommend this flick.
jjnxn
March 21, 2016
Some nice production design but so loathsome that hardly makes it worth looking at.
March 16, 2016
no movie like the original novel ...
½ February 21, 2016
Beautifully filmed and with some good performances (Alan Rickman's barely-restrained fury and paranoia being quite nicely understated), with an interestingly unorthodox premise and the flexibility to allow some moments of humor. There are some elements of magical realism that I did find strained the film's veritas, though.
½ February 21, 2016
A feast for the senses visually (and attempts to communicate olfactory pleasures too - smell .. yes I had to look that up) and some great performances along the way (Rickman, Hoffman and excellent lead Whishaw - Q in the latest Bonds). The bonkers - and unconvincing - raunchy ending doesn't make too much sense, but is certainly original :P
February 20, 2016
An engrossing horrifying tale of a perfume maker obsessed with perfection in his craftsmanship is spoiled by a ludricuous orgy scene and a bizarre vanishing act in the final reel.
February 15, 2016
This film/book is inevitably mentioned to any perfume enthusiast. But it should be the nemesis of the olfactory aesthete. It deals in misconceptions, that those who most appreciate sensory pleasures are born with preternaturally sensitive perceptions. That fragrances are largely dependent on the "body chemistry" of the wearer. That the right scent will conjure carnal instincts in those around you. And, as Luca Turin put it, that "by a small leap of logic much beloved of bigots through the ages, the deceased virgin's smell represents Innocence... instead of smelling like a Moscow bus at rush hour." I'm sure perfume marketers are thrilled that this is the primary pop culture idiom on the topic.
January 13, 2016
One of the most artistic movies I have ever seen. Freaking enthralling.
December 29, 2015
FACINATING AND TOTALLY ORIGINAL. NOT THE USUAL RERUN OF THE SAME OLD STORY LINES
½ November 25, 2015
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is a terrifying experience without any kind of meaning.
The main characters fail to be engaging enough, not because of their performances, which were actually good, but because the story is totally absurd.
October 31, 2015
This movie is in the "strange day" category of film where it should be known by way more people. A list actors with some great performances, An amazing expansive original story that's darkly beautiful. You can feel the streets of paris and smell the pretty french girls. I guess like "whiplash" i am attracted to story about obsession at all costs. Wanting to create or do something truly great despite the consequences.
½ October 17, 2015
An Intense story of what could you do in order to have everything
½ October 10, 2015
The only way to make perfumers seem badass (also a good amount of nudity)
½ September 23, 2015
one of those films that is so beautiful and so disturbing but you can't look away.
½ September 19, 2015
Up and down all over the place period thriller.....uneven.
September 16, 2015
I didn't know how I felt about this at 1st, but I really love this movie. It grew on me.
September 13, 2015
I liked the premise and it visually showed what the main character was feeling. I also love how unpredictable the movie was. I enjoy when movies blindside me , and in all honestly this is the one movie that you could never guess how it ends
September 1, 2015
Hmmm, murder in the 18th century . . . this one might be interesting!!