Perfume: The Story of a Murderer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer Reviews

September 13, 2017
one of the best movie ever
April 14, 2017
Just one of the best book adaptation all time filmed.
½ January 14, 2017
"Whatever his insane scheme is... it will surely be incomplete without you."
½ January 7, 2017
Weird and twisted and I surprisingly enjoyed it.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ October 26, 2016
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is grotesque, with notes of beauty and brilliance. I just wish it didn't go off the deep end in the third act. It's intriguing and uniquely bizarre until that point. Dustin Hoffman is completely miscast, but everyone else seems to work. Plus, if they cut out all of the extended, close-up smelling scenes, this movie would be an hour shorter. I almost liked this movie.
½ September 28, 2016
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer is a terrifying experience without any kind of meaning.
The main characters fail to be engaging enough, not because of their performances, which were actually good, but because the story is totally absurd.
½ September 5, 2016
not my favorite type of movies.
½ August 28, 2016
"Perfume" is a very gorgeous looking film, even though its main character is difficult to follow and route for.
July 25, 2016
Not going to lie, I still don't know how to feel about this film. It's so incredibly stylish, yet I can't decide if it crossed the line of being creepy and went straight for shock.

After a little bit of reflecting I have to admit I DO like this movie- and would even watch it again. If anything maybe I can make some more sense of it.
½ May 25, 2016
One of my all time favourite movies....I don't get the bad reviews. Certainly it is gruesome and horrific but at the same time it is spell binding. I recommend this flick.
jjnxn
March 21, 2016
Some nice production design but so loathsome that hardly makes it worth looking at.
March 16, 2016
no movie like the original novel ...
½ February 21, 2016
Beautifully filmed and with some good performances (Alan Rickman's barely-restrained fury and paranoia being quite nicely understated), with an interestingly unorthodox premise and the flexibility to allow some moments of humor. There are some elements of magical realism that I did find strained the film's veritas, though.
½ February 21, 2016
A feast for the senses visually (and attempts to communicate olfactory pleasures too - smell .. yes I had to look that up) and some great performances along the way (Rickman, Hoffman and excellent lead Whishaw - Q in the latest Bonds). The bonkers - and unconvincing - raunchy ending doesn't make too much sense, but is certainly original :P
February 20, 2016
An engrossing horrifying tale of a perfume maker obsessed with perfection in his craftsmanship is spoiled by a ludricuous orgy scene and a bizarre vanishing act in the final reel.
February 15, 2016
This film/book is inevitably mentioned to any perfume enthusiast. But it should be the nemesis of the olfactory aesthete. It deals in misconceptions, that those who most appreciate sensory pleasures are born with preternaturally sensitive perceptions. That fragrances are largely dependent on the "body chemistry" of the wearer. That the right scent will conjure carnal instincts in those around you. And, as Luca Turin put it, that "by a small leap of logic much beloved of bigots through the ages, the deceased virgin's smell represents Innocence... instead of smelling like a Moscow bus at rush hour." I'm sure perfume marketers are thrilled that this is the primary pop culture idiom on the topic.
January 13, 2016
One of the most artistic movies I have ever seen. Freaking enthralling.
December 29, 2015
FACINATING AND TOTALLY ORIGINAL. NOT THE USUAL RERUN OF THE SAME OLD STORY LINES