Persepolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Persepolis Reviews

½ August 4, 2016
Persepolis was the first graphic novel and the first book I checked out of my college library. The film followed very closely to the book, giving insight to a rebel of revolution and Marjane's journey of self discovery. As somebody quite interested in the Iranian/Persian culture, I loved it!
½ July 20, 2016
watch this and then kite runner and be depressed
April 24, 2016
I think it might just be one of the darkest, deepest, saddest films I've ever watched. But just like any other masterpiece, it's surprisingly funny and the most important thing is it's haunting, in a weirdly good way...

It is thought provoking. A very deep one at that. I just wonder where the hell have I been? What the hell was I doing not watching this?

But like I said, this just might be the right time. Maybe I wouldn't have understood the film, or seen the film the way I do now if I was way younger than I am now.

In the end, this is one of those 100-films-to-watch-before-you-die kind of film. One you MUST watch, no matter how hard it is to actually watch it. Trust me, it is hard.

An absolute masterpiece! I LOVE IT!
April 20, 2016
This should be mandatory viewing for anybody with a political opinion about the Islamic world.
March 17, 2016
1 hour 35 minutes and 31 seconds too long
March 7, 2016
Persepolis is an emotionally powerful, dramatically enthralling autobiographical gem.
February 10, 2016
My favourite animation. I was shocked when it lost the Oscar to Ratatouille. However, in the US, animated movies are cartoons, meant for children, so I can see how this happened.
This movie is a masterpiece, painted in wide monochromatic powerful strokes.
JDT: 5/5. Good advice. Close look at family life and pride.
½ January 25, 2016
amazing! makes you realize that wherever you choose to settle life will bring its own set of problems and you must deal with them. there's just no running away
January 15, 2016
a thoughtful film on a kid growing up in Iran ..
December 31, 2015
Great coming of age animated film, rebellious and truthful, with a great universality while still being from an unique perspective.
December 19, 2015
A really intense life a woman has, l like it!
December 15, 2015
A very peculiar and deep animated biography with layers of commentary and great characters to keep the sometimes too dramatic story interesting and creative.
December 3, 2015
A beautifully animated, yet unfiltered, expression of equality, bitterness and depression that can't help but be entirely, and sadly, believable.
November 21, 2015
Animated but for a very adult audience with this story of the emancipation of a Iranian Persepolis. Quite surprising for French to be the spoken language given the subject matter of the veiled culture of Iran. Perhaps the era before the fall of the Shah. Nevertheless a vey thought provoking political film.
August 31, 2015
One of the best films I've seen in a while.
July 31, 2015
Mind-blowing, witty, ballsy, full of true emotions. must see
June 28, 2015
This movie is basically perfect. Everything about it is wonderful. I won't even say anything else. Go watch it.
June 27, 2015
Moving film that I will always remember as one of the more moving films I've ever seen. Along with the likes of Waltz with Bashir, it's animation style was unique and very effective alright.
½ May 24, 2015
9.5 out of 10:

Great animation combined with a heartwarming story.
April 22, 2015
A deeply emotional story, and beautiful animation. Definitely a winner.