Persepolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Persepolis Reviews

July 20, 2014
From the books, to the movie, it was all great!
July 11, 2014
tonnes of attitude, funny but poignant
½ June 29, 2014
La Vie en Rose gives a real sympathetic view of Iranians, which is not something I've seen in almost any other film. Also the animation was very original, kind of interesting for a film like this to even be animated, but it worked really well.
June 20, 2014
watched it in my sociology class
½ June 15, 2014
Beautifully drawn and rendered depiction of the life of an outspoken girl in post-revolution Iran.
May 31, 2014
The overall tone of the movie was more depressing than I expected and it ended a bit too soon. But the art direction was amazing, the lead character Marjane was charming, and it was fascinating to watch her perspective of the Islamic Revolution unfold. This being a true story only makes it even better.
May 19, 2014
An animated biographical film about a woman growing up during revolution in Iran. The simplistic animation keeps the focus on the story, and not the looks. Unfortunately the film doesn't quite succeed in influencing the audience to be against the continuous war; it's more like the war is there, always has been, and always will.
½ May 11, 2014
Very interesting insight to how things were/are in Iran. The animation is pretty basic but it's not about that, for once. This is all about the story. Well worth a watch.
½ May 5, 2014
I was stunned and delighted by this film Even-handed treatment of the fundamental human rights issues currently on the table in many countries in our world. The creator of this film no longer lives in her homeland, and the film was banned in Iran.
April 19, 2014
I set my expectation pretty high -- even when I knew it lost to "Ratatouille" (2007). My rationale? I thought the contrast tone would get the grey areas in politics crisper, however, it only caused the romance stagy.
March 30, 2014
Simple and funny drawing, but still, enough to bring the feeling of every sequence.
Dramatically truthful and humouristicly cynic.
A lesson given to both adults and children in a way that both understand.
A good way of empathising with the people from Iran.
½ March 26, 2014
This didn't seem to make as much use of the medium as it could have, but it was certainly an interesting story to tell.
March 11, 2014
Moving, perceptive and extremely funny.
½ February 25, 2014
Animated movie that has different depiction and it has good screenplay. this movie also give me interested on history. Really inspired
½ February 24, 2014
It seems women are the best narrators for historic events especially those of war and social oppressions and Persopolis might just be the best example in modern literatures.
This masterpiece adapted from an autobiographical comic is exceptionally amazing in all aspects.
The innovative animations, The interesting protagonist who kept the work in balance between a nation's history and a personal teenager's tale, the humors & the heartbreaks are the ingredients of this mind-blower.
February 13, 2014
A very interesting film about the history of Iran seen through the eyes of a young girl growing in a country facing revolution, war and dictatorship. Well done, minimalist and full of amazing insight of the daily life of a family, this film is very entertaining and instructive to watch.
February 9, 2014
Incredible animation and fascinating story.
January 26, 2014
watched part of it. Boring.
January 12, 2014
This entertaining French animation is a coming-of-age movie set in Tehran and Vienna. The story's background includes Iran's transition from the stable but oppressive regime under the Shah through the revolution and eventual takeover by hardliners. There are some memorable characters and funny moments, but the movie's pace is fairly slow at times. Worth a watch.
½ January 12, 2014
Can't believe this lost the best animated film Oscar to Ratatouille. Great story. It's remarkable how much of Iranian history they managed to compress into a 90-minute film without it seeming rushed.