Persepolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Genial animación, jodida realidad =(
September 25, 2014
WarningOppression of women
½ August 31, 2014
The Middle East, in more recent years, is starting to become a place full of violent content. Everywhere one looks, there is a sense of fear and terror throughout, making it impossible to stay or even live. So getting a documented look at the place is tricky. Luckily, we have the 2007 animated feature "Persepolis" to show how life in the Middle East is uncomfortable. Based on the graphic novel of the same name by Marjane Satrapi, who also co-directs the movie, this breathtaking film showcases how strong animation can be for adults, and make something brilliant in return. "Persepolis" is a gritty look at how one woman saw through her eyes the radical changes of her country.

The story is told as an autobiographical tale of Marjane and her life growing up in Iran as a girl, and eventually as a woman in Europe. Unfortunately, Marjane sees many terrible things happen along the way. Things like the Islamic Revolution, the war between Iran and Iraq, being a foreigner in a new place, and many more. So, Marjane must adapt to the changes of society as she grows up into a woman trying to find her identity in this crazy world.

"Persepolis" is a fantastic film worthy of watching multiple times. As stated before, the story is an autobiographical piece of work, with a few fictional elements thrown in. As an American watching this movie, I can say that it is interesting to see a new perspective of a culture that's rarely shows its true nature. Despite the fact that the setting is in the Middle East, the whole film is spoken in French, which is a nice contrast to both language barriers of French and Arabic. Speaking of the language, the cast does a good job in the French version, portraying each character perfectly. The music sets the tone of the movie perfectly as the entire production is very dramatic. But what really sells the film is the animation. The majority of the film is done in black and white, with a few spots in color, making the movie very close to its graphic novel roots. It's mesmerizing, breathtaking, and beautiful to look at. Everything is well-designed and just gorgeous to look at.

One final note is that while the film is animated, this movie is definitely not for children. The subject matter of surviving through terrible times is very mature, as well as the themes present. In fact, there are a lot of thematic elements present, including strong language, violent and sexual situations, all of which are for the adult mind. This movie shows that there is a market for adult animated films to be made, this is a perfect example of it.

In conclusion, "Persepolis" is a fantastic film for adults, showing how the events at home can truly change a person.
½ August 27, 2014
Persepolis delicate-yet-daring scope shows an often overlooked, terrifying side about femininity when repression always strikes in different forms no matter where.
½ August 25, 2014
I can see why this sort-of dark animated film was nominated for Best Animated Feature. This French animated film has charming animation of a girl's view of Iran during the Iranian Revolution as she's growing up with comparable, coming-of age issues that some are sad to watch. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
August 2, 2014
Persepolis is astonishing, a revelation realized in masterful monochrome strokes.
August 1, 2014
Driven by hilariously weird dark comedy and emotionally heavy content, Persepolis is more than just a stylistic approach to animation, but a stylistic approach to cinematic storytelling
½ July 24, 2014
Marjane is precocious and outspoken young Iranian girl who was nine years old during the Islamic Revolution when the fundamentalists first take power--forcing the veil on women and imprisoning thousands. She cleverly outsmarts the "social guardians" and discovers punk, ABBA and Iron Maiden, while living with the terror of government persecution and the Iran/Iraq war. Then Marjane's journey moves on to Austria where, as a teenager, her parents send her to school in fear for her safety and, she has to combat being equated with the religious fundamentalism and extremism she fled her country to escape. I remembered watching this movie years ago on a random film channel, and I watched it and overall I really liked it. I love the animation in this movie, it's so dark and so gritty at times. The voice acting is good and everything else is really well done and really made.
July 21, 2014
Beautiful, informative, personal, and alluring. It may not be as involving as the gn, but it stands on its own merits.
July 20, 2014
From the books, to the movie, it was all great!
July 11, 2014
tonnes of attitude, funny but poignant
½ June 29, 2014
La Vie en Rose gives a real sympathetic view of Iranians, which is not something I've seen in almost any other film. Also the animation was very original, kind of interesting for a film like this to even be animated, but it worked really well.
June 20, 2014
watched it in my sociology class
½ June 15, 2014
Beautifully drawn and rendered depiction of the life of an outspoken girl in post-revolution Iran.
May 31, 2014
The overall tone of the movie was more depressing than I expected and it ended a bit too soon. But the art direction was amazing, the lead character Marjane was charming, and it was fascinating to watch her perspective of the Islamic Revolution unfold. This being a true story only makes it even better.
May 19, 2014
An animated biographical film about a woman growing up during revolution in Iran. The simplistic animation keeps the focus on the story, and not the looks. Unfortunately the film doesn't quite succeed in influencing the audience to be against the continuous war; it's more like the war is there, always has been, and always will.
½ May 11, 2014
Very interesting insight to how things were/are in Iran. The animation is pretty basic but it's not about that, for once. This is all about the story. Well worth a watch.
½ May 5, 2014
I was stunned and delighted by this film Even-handed treatment of the fundamental human rights issues currently on the table in many countries in our world. The creator of this film no longer lives in her homeland, and the film was banned in Iran.
April 19, 2014
I set my expectation pretty high -- even when I knew it lost to "Ratatouille" (2007). My rationale? I thought the contrast tone would get the grey areas in politics crisper, however, it only caused the romance stagy.
March 30, 2014
Simple and funny drawing, but still, enough to bring the feeling of every sequence.
Dramatically truthful and humouristicly cynic.
A lesson given to both adults and children in a way that both understand.
A good way of empathising with the people from Iran.