Personal Velocity: Three Portraits Reviews

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Feb 22, 2014

Not my cup of tea. I don't mind the short stories, but other that the fact the three women are having troubles in part due to their upbringing, the stories do not inter-relate at all.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Jul 13, 2013

This film is comprised of three portraits of women, one escaping from an abusive marriage, one considering adultery, and one who picks up a hitchhiker. Overly expository, these stories are undeveloped. The transition between short story and film is a difficult one, and Rebecca Miller clings to her prose with an obsessive compulsion that doesn't recognize the visual nature of her new medium. And the need to give backstory on all of her characters doesn't even work in prose. All three of the stories revolve around the theme of characters being stuck by their own identities and pasts. It's an interesting theme, but I don't see anything new in the way it's presented or the individualities of the characters, excepting the final story with Fairuza Balk. Overall, there is a difference between film and prose, and Miller doesn't adapt to that difference.

• Mar 25, 2013

3/1/13? My review for this film somehow disappeared, so I'll have to try again over a month later. The 3 stories don't tie together, which was very disappointing b/c I assumed they would. This was a big let down at the end. The stories in themselves are fairly interesting to watch, but each one just ends, leaving it feeling incomplete. The transitions between the stories is non-existent. One story abruptly ends, then the other begins. Obviously, this left me pretty frustrated.

• Nov 24, 2011

Loved the direction and the way the stories were portrayed...very different insights into different lives...well enacted

• Oct 11, 2011

• Jun 13, 2011

• Mar 09, 2011

This is a mediocre feminist drama at best. The best thing it has going for it is the fact that it has all these terrific actors in it like Parker Posey and Lou Taylor Pucci. Otherwise, it's really just another lame affliction story about how women are constantly mistreated and abused by crazy and ruthless men. To tell you the truth the three characters this centers around are very well drawn out and are interesting to observe, but the antagonists, or should I say the males, are flat-out typical stereotypes of abusive, perverted, and/or vaguely bland men. I see the realism that it's trying to attain in how it's shot in this documentary style and completely through the use of DV cam, but it ends up just looking really kind of amateur to me. I understand that the film was on a very low budget, but that doesn't change the fact that the film itself looks like a sort of low grade docudrama. I think my main beef with this really is the fact that it's another entry in this sort of heavy-handed, male guilt series of films that blame everything on arrogant, egotistical men. It just gets really tiresome and in the case of this film, it doesn't even attempt to examine the perspective of these one-noted male characters, rather it jumps right to indicting them as horrible people from the get-go. I honestly do like some of the writing here and a lot of the acting is really terrific, but it just doesn't have enough depth to be what it really thinks it is, a serious examination of real life relationships.

• Feb 18, 2011

This movie makes me proud to be a femenist

This movie makes me proud to be a femenist

• Aug 06, 2010

This was an extremely enthralling and intriguing film to watch complete captivated my attention from start to finish. I really liked how the three stories were complete separate from one another except for that one little news message tying it altogether which was a nice subtle touch, not too obvious. The performances given by all three actress is quite outstanding I expect nothing less from the likes of Kyra Sedwick and Parker Posey. This was my first introduction to Fairuza Balk but she was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed the stylistic quality which the film implores the use of still photography and the flashback sequences which explores the characters back-story was so brilliantly done.

• Mar 26, 2010

Fantastic film comprised of three separate stories of women in crisis. Each one of the segments was awesome and had a scene that will stay with me: Delia's sobbing in the front yard thinking about her past, Greta's silent, secret tear thinking about her future, and Paula's sobbing as her tough emotional walls come tumbling down. Extremely well acted and directed. I loved this entire movie.