Pete Kelly's Blues - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pete Kelly's Blues Reviews

June 5, 2016
The production design has a high degree of 1920s verisimilitude. The sight gags and tough-guy repartee still have legs. Jack Webb bears comparison with Bogie.
July 23, 2014
The excellent story was backed by a fantastic sound track. The story developed really well as a band leader started to confront and overcome a mob boss who tried to control all the bands.
½ December 21, 2011
Peggy Lee is very good, and of course her singing and Ella's are wonderful, but the film reeks of Jack Webb and he's as cardboard and embarrassingly comic as he could be. Janet Leigh is always interesting, but the character she plays is so annoying, even that is a downer. I had to pause this one, brace myself for the dialog, and then go on, just hoping to hear one of the women sing again.
April 23, 2011
a good looking movie with some interesting camera work but sadly the plot is pretty ordinary. a musician gets muscled by a gangster for 25% of his take. he resists at first and as a result one of his band mates is gunned down. he gives then. the rest of the film he spends trying regain his dignity. the ending is pretty well done though, it's just that you have to sit through some fairly boring scenes to get to it.
April 8, 2010
April 8, 2010
68/100. Likely the most stylish and mainstream movie coming from Jack Webb, and it works better than most of his work. A lot of credit has to be given to Peggy Lee, who is wonderful and gives a very memorable Academy Award nominated performance. Andy Devine is very effective in a role not at all typical of him. Great score. The period detail is lacking though. Overall it is well produced.
November 20, 2009
Think of it as a playlist, really. A jazz mixtape, punctuated by a Vaudeville song-and-dance starring shuffling alcoholic musicians, depressed, demoralized, alone, and without about as much sense for narrative structure as you'd find in that drunk girl they dropped down the stairs, head first. Surely the jazz age wasn't as angry and plodding as all that?
October 5, 2009
Jack Webb had some promise as a director! There's some nice photography in this picture and a terrific musical score. Interesting cast too!
½ August 27, 2009
**1/2 (out of four)

Peggy Lee is the highlight of this look at the early Jazz scene in Kansas City. Jack Webb and Janet Leigh also star as they clash with mobsters during the time of prohibition. The melodrama his a bit too heavy.
½ February 15, 2009
Booooooring. A few good songs from Ellla Fitzgerald and Peggy Lee; otherwise a colossal bore. The Pete Kelly character is a loser and a jerk, and you really don't care at all about what happens to the poor sod.
½ February 10, 2009
This is a must see for any fan of Ella Fitzgerald! The movie itself is mildly interesting. It's nice to see a young Jack Webb is the main protagonist, but Ella's performance steals the show! unfortunately her appearances are all too short!
September 17, 2008
A decent mob movie starring the ever stoic Jack Webb. Peggy Lee isn't too bad but she's only really in it for about ten minutes.
September 6, 2008
This is not a great movie . It's a pretty predictable story but it's alot of fun to watch. Peggy Lee is great and Ella even has a small role. If you love the jazz films of the 50's then you should check it out.
jjnxn
½ September 6, 2008
There are some wonderful things in this, foremost Ella Fitzgerald and Peggy Lee spreading their special brands of magic, both are luminous. The music is good and Andy Devine, without his trademark voice, is a revelation in a gritty part as a dogged cop. And Edmond O'Brien could play the venal gangster like few others. All these are highly enjoyable but stuck in the center is the absolutely awful Jack Webb, the man makes a blank wall look expressive and that a beauty like Janet Leigh would go to such lengths to catch him makes her seem either seriously misguided or a total idiot. Still for the great stuff contained within its worth at least a view.
½ August 25, 2008
This is a good movie
February 6, 2008
Fantastic for its day and catches the feel of the jazz age and the 5's new jazz age all at the same time.
November 9, 2007
Jayne Mansfield makes a cameo in this film. Review coming soon.
October 2, 2005
Pete Kelly?s Blues and Dragnet ? Both films written by Richard Breen, and directed by Jack Webb, who also stars. [I]Pete Kelly?s Blues[/I] is about a band trying to be bought out by a producer so he can take their money, and [I]Dragnet[/I] is about a cop just trying to solve a basic case. [I]Pete Kelly?s Blues[/i] works much better as film, and is really pretty good, and while [I]Dragnet[/i] was fun, it just doesn?t work as a film, which makes sense since it started as a show, and ended as a show. Still fun though. [I]Pete Kelly?s Blues[/i]: A- [i]Dragnet[/i]: B

Hard Times ? [I]Hard Times[/i] stars Charles Bronson, who looks like he?s drunk throughout the entire film, and James Coburn. Bronson is a street fighter, and Coburn is pretty much his manager, and sets him up fights and what. That?s pretty much it, and the film follows the two as they win more and more fights. It?s a really awesome film and has some great fight scenes in it. Check it out if you can get your hands on it. A

Say Anything ? I?ve been catching up on my 80s films, so I finally watched this, and it was really great. Definitely the best teen romance I?ve seen. It was just so good! That?s it. A