Pete Seeger: The Power of Song - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pete Seeger: The Power of Song Reviews

August 2, 2008
Excellent, and a tribute to him that so much was missed out. What I saw was an updated version released in 2007.
April 6, 2008
Pete Seeger is a man of true integrity; this movie did a fine job of documenting that. It's hard to find a contemporary musician that compares.
½ April 6, 2008
Special in that it goes beyond the music/celebrity and into the simplicity of the man's life. Unfortunately, it doesn't make for such a fascinating portrait.
March 9, 2008
One of my heroes -- the father of folk music and an influential radical in his time who stood up and sang for justice, peace, compassion, caring, stewardship of the earth.
½ March 4, 2008
Pretty good Documentary. It doesn't really stray much from the traditional PBS documentary format though...which I was a little disapointed by. I knew a little about Pete Seeger, but learned a great deal more, and for any fan of music, this is a must. The last half hour is especially good.
½ February 29, 2008
Subject matter no surprise, but impressive film...editing, direction, photography...
February 10, 2008
The music of this film provided the score for the very best of my childhood. Pete Seeger not only stood for what he believed, he taught the reat of us to do the same. Matter of fact, he is still doing it. Shame on you if you miss this movie!!
January 24, 2008
A tribute to a great man. Not to be missed!
December 16, 2007
Pete Seeger was a do-er, and he did it with music. By standing up for his beliefs, doing what he loved, and practicing what he preached, Seeger touched millions, even those who don't realize what he did for them. I had no idea that he helped build the sloop Clearwater, which I remember going for a sail in sometime in grade school. You may not always agree 100% with his political beliefs, but after seeing this film I believe his heart was always in the right place.
November 19, 2007
This musico-biographical documentary currently playing to an above-60 crowd at IFC (I was less than half the age of every other person in the theater) has the rosy, feel-good tone of an A&E Biography episode, and is about as challenging (that is, not so very). When I lived at home and my mom watched Biography every night, I would inevitable fall asleep while she was making me tea, the glowing thirteen-inch screen's black and white footage dropping my eyelids like Roman shades. Accordingly, Peter Seeger had the same soporific qualities, and while I fought the tufty waves of sleep, I did miss a central swath of images (though I managed, I think, to remain at least semi-conscious aurally).

Seeger is certainly a character from another time (he built, for example, his family's home from scratch, by himself, out of logs from trees he chopped down himself, with a small axe). And yet, his time was not only one that very much pre-dated him, but also post-dated him (he married a Japanese woman; I feel like this didn't happen often in the 1940s; additionally, he was a major labor union and civil rights activist, as well as a card-carrying Communist). The first talking head flashed up on the screen was Bob Dylan, another character from another time (the same time, and a time that pre-dated both of themÔ??a specifically American time of Depression, coffee and pie, freight trains, hitched rides, cross-country travel on foot, with nothing but the suit on your back and the shoes on your feet. . . that's early Dylan, of course, but Seeger seemed never to grow out of it the way Bob did).

Dylan was followed by a whole parade of folk-influenced heavy-hitters (Springstein, Joan Baez, Peter Yarrow and Mary Travers, and even a Dixie Chick) who spoke on Seeger's musical (and political) heroism. What I find most fascinating about Seeger, though, is that he's a mere musician, not a song writer. That someone who didn't write his own songs (and always performed the songs he sang straight, without any vocal embellishment, lengthy guitar solos, etc.) could have such a lasting effect on musicians who do is counter-intuitive at best.
November 15, 2007
A great documentary, even if I have known the director since we were 8 years old. Nobody makes films about music better than Jim Brown, and nobody has meant more to folk music, or to the basic goodness of man, than Pete Seeger.
November 11, 2007
just like pete seeger: direct, honest, nothing-fancy, touching, informative and inspiring.
November 10, 2007
Straightforward, but well-made bio-documentary.
½ November 9, 2007
I loved this documentary... it was awesome for me as a devoted folk music fan
½ November 7, 2007
A must see! Docu shows how a singer with his only use of music can effect considerable social change.
November 3, 2007
An excellent movie documenting the life of an amazing man.
October 30, 2007
One of the most effective examples I've seen of the often dry documentary-biopic form. The interview subjects speak with real passion about the man and his work, turning the talking-headiness into an asset rather than a hindrance. And Seeger himself is a startlingly powerful presence, both in archival footage from his younger years and in the present-day interviews conducted with the man and several generations of his multiracial family. The footage of his impassioned musical performances is truly what the word "inspiring" was invented to describe: he puts our modern-day notions of irony and cynicism to shame, to say nothing of the unabashedly profit-driven musical acts that dominate our contemporary pop culture. A trip to the local indie theater (if you're fortunate enough to have access to such a thing) that I promise you will not regret.
October 29, 2007
truly excellent. an overview of 20th century history and politics through the eyes of one man who dreamed of making everyone sing. a beautiful film that will make you feel better about life and actually have hope for the future.
½ October 28, 2007
AMAZING. Everyone needs to see this movie! It will move you.
October 26, 2007
Ok documentary about a pretty interesting man.