Peter Ibbetson - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peter Ibbetson Reviews

March 25, 2014
cooper plays another architect (like 'the fountainhead") in this period piece fantasy that somehow works also check out 'blonde' ida lupino in her days b4 moving to WB and becoming a star. was pleasantly surprized that cooper who always plays the hero [played such a dispicable character.
rubystevens
½ February 27, 2014
self-serious and wildly sentimental, it still manages to work, due in large part to the delicate cinematography. even coop's typically stiff performance seems appropriate in this otherworldly tale of lovers who meet in dreams. 'the strangest things are true and the truest things are strange'
jjnxn
½ March 11, 2012
Odd semi fantasy film has a good performance from a dashing Gary Cooper to recommend it but the pacing is off. The mood is too earthbound to make it haunting and too celestial for a standard telling. Part of the problem is that Ann Harding while a fine actress is miscast as the object of Gary's lifelong desire, a more ethereal performer was required, Merle Oberon would have been perfect. The appearance of an almost unrecognizable Ida Lupino as a bit of Cockney baggage is a treat but she's in and out of the film in under fifteen minutes.
½ November 7, 2010
I'm so glad I went to this. There were so many high angled shots of rooms with Peter in a bedroom as a child, and it reminded me of The Silence. It seemed like not many people in the theater enjoyed the film, even found some of the lines funny, but I found it to be romantic and charming. I saw Peter Ibbetson as a first step to movies like Inception and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. My favorite scene of the movie was when they were running away from their dream as it was falling apart, and they have to explain that they will probably have to fight through that for the rest of their lives. Yes, the movie is melodramatic, but it just works. It made me believe their love would be solidified in time. Nothing could ever tear Mary and Peter apart. They will always have each other within their dreams. And the movie's pure innocence was so perfect. When Gary Cooper is describing his want of the little 8 year old girl in a dress all I could think of was the longing of his past even though the chuckles in the theater made it clear it sounds like pedophilia. But I was so taken by the film that I felt like I was a part of everything. I wanted him to be a kid again, and Gary Cooper's face makes it easy to believe. He looks so young and innocent. The only thing I would have changed in the film was the ending.

**SPOILERS**

I liked going to the end where Mary dies of old age, but it should have stopped there. It was perfect the way she died in his dream. Perhaps ending right after that would have been the best way to go. Or they could have shown her at her house and they pronounce her dead and Peter is sitting there all alone. We would feel sad, but they have fought through so much that death wouldn't even stop them. There was no need for the added ending where we see him die. But it was still a great film. I'm glad I stayed for it today!
March 7, 2010
Much more entertaining than the book, which was made all the more interminable by numerous quotations in Greek. Gary Cooper rocks in this.
September 23, 2009
A Dickensian romance with a bit of magic to it, kind of like Portrait of Jennie. Lots of foreshadowing and callbacks. It's also beautifully shot by Charles Lang, thoughtful compositions and camera movement, and wonderful lighting. I thought the music was a little too much at times. But as an over-the-top romance, perhaps a heavy score suits it well.
May 19, 2009
Mush, but the kids are cute. If it just ended there. . .
November 20, 2008
Hilarious and laughably bad film that is not worth watching in any other mood but whimsical. The only reason this movie is entertaining is because it is unintentionally funny. Filled with horrible acting, writing, and direction, this is one mess of a movie that is just waiting to happen. What it lacks in writing and acting it makes up for with impressive cinematography and a story that could have been more but wasn't.
November 17, 2008
This little-known fantasy romance was an unexpected gem. I was thoroughly drawn into the relationship between Gary Cooper and Ann Harding, and there is a kind of sweet innocence, maybe even naivete, that you don't find in most Hollywood films. It has the feel of an old-fashioned fairy tale.
October 29, 2008
Romantica, insolita storia d'amore che sfocia nel fantastico. Bellissima interpretazione degli attori e bellissimo bianco e nero.
June 8, 2008
not great - but kinda reminds me of portrait of jennie and stairway to heaven - that transcendent love defying time and space... thaaang.
½ June 4, 2008
A superbly bizarre film. I won't get into the plot (you can read about it if you care), but wow... bizarre stuff. This is one of the more absurd 30s films I've seen, and that's saying a lot. Great performances and story here. The children in the prologue are absolutely heartbreaking. In fact, that was probably my favorite part in the whole thing. But the rest is almost as good. It drags a little in a few parts in the middle, but picks back up soon enough. Things really start getting ultra-trippy in the last 20-30 minutes. The ending just made me shake my head in bewilderment. I really liked the "dreamy" essence of the whole thing. Good stuff.
March 24, 2008
The beginning was alright, the end was alright but the middle was fucking boring
January 10, 2008
this unfortunately is a very dull and uninteresting adaption of a medicore novel. gary cooper is painfully miscast and played architect much better in the far superior 'the fountainhead'
January 1, 2008