Phantasm II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phantasm II Reviews

October 19, 2016
So...the hippy musician and scared little boy are now ultimate guerrilla soldiers who know how to create & use handmade weapons? In what is clearly trying to be the "Aliens" of this franchise, all mystery and fear is removed in what is one of the biggest quality drop-offs of any sequel ever. Readymade for MST3K & almost "so-bad-it's-good", its impedance on the legacy of the original is much too much to forgive.
½ October 16, 2016
Better acting than the first, good effects, enormous leaps in logic ( even for a horror movie )
October 10, 2016
Meanders...but slightly better acting than the first one. Slightly less interesting visuals.
October 9, 2016
The back of the box states: "eclipses the original cult classic with unparalleled thrills, horror and suspense" and i'm not arguing it. The passion for the original isn't there but its an easier story to follow with a tad bit better acting too.
August 28, 2016
I really love this movie Better then the first one
August 7, 2016
Fantastic follow-up to a great horror classic. Even though it doesn't include the kid who was in the original to play his role, it's still entertaining as hell.
July 31, 2016
It's an acquired taste. If you didn't grow up with these movies. Then they probably wouldn't interest you. But if your just looking for a way to kill a Saturday. Give the Phantasm movies a chance. They are kind of cheesy, but sometimes cheesy is good. I love all the Phantasm movies. I hope you will too.
July 29, 2016
A different direction that the first film, but very creepy and fun. Fantastic music which is unforgettable and practical effects that shine. Characters are more fleshed out than the first film, but it is a little slow in places. Still a good sequel to a great movie.
March 28, 2016
This is the best Phantasm movie.
October 24, 2015
A slower, more ponderous, less effective rehash of the original.
October 20, 2015
I might be in the minority when I say that Don Coscarelli's 1979 outing Phantasm was an obscenely overrated relic that has only calcified with age. I shouldn't have been preternaturally excited for the sequel but fortified with Universal Studio's financial upgrade and James LeGros in the lead role now, my expectations were cantilevered into the positive column. After a recap of the previous finale, Phantasm II delivers on the promise of a more fluid, kinetic successor. Reggie's (Reggie Bannister) escape from The Tall Man's (Angus Scrimm) monastic midgets is a dynamite set piece. By now, Phantasm is renowned for two things- Scrimm and the silver balls. And the drilling mutilation via the forehead is more satisfyingly graphic than before and the dental-instrument sound F/X really amplify the cringe factor. A Cuisinart comparison is quite appropriate. The dream logic might be gone but, I for one, haven't missed the masturbatory abstraction of them. Streamlined is better for Coscarelli's splanchnic vision. Reggie and Michael are flamethrower-and-shotgun-touting vigilantes and their makeshift weapons from a hardware store reinforce the notion that Phantasm II is a disparate beast from the former with more action-movie firepower and velocity. Once again the musical theme by Fred Myrow is contagiously creepy. Coscarelli nails the gothic atmosphere of a Hammer film inside velvet-draped corridors and echoing mausoleums. Scrimm is still a towering presence that will induce heart palpitations in spades. The road trip from cemetery to cemetery in pursuit of Liz Reynolds (Paula Irvine), a clairvoyant with an ill-defined connection to Michael (LeGros), is patently incomprehensible. This is very much classified in the style-over-substance subcategory but that is hardly a misstep. The balding Lothario Bannister isn't a polished thespian but his horny shtick is amusing nonetheless ("It gets hard on the road") and his chemistry with LeGros is airtight. Regardless of my antipathy towards the first film, part 2 is a rip-roaring, albeit daffy rollercoaster through Perigord Mortuary. A retread of the original's sequel-bait ending is an anticlimax though.
June 14, 2015
Fraco. Nem perto do que o original foi (chutando o balde das sutilezas), mas dá pra passar o tempo.
½ May 27, 2015
This is bad, even by '80's sequel standards.
April 16, 2015
Really got weird toward the end but up till then not a bad sequel.
November 11, 2014
Phantasm II uses the ideas from the first film into a great mix of action and horror, the only downside being that the movie sometimes comes of as too crude. 76/100
½ November 11, 2014
Fair sequel has survivors Mike and Reggie pursuing The Tall Man. This entry could have easily been discarded as it does not really advance the series in any meaningful way. I thought it was a dubious decision to have a traditional burial for Aunt Martha, Celeste and Little Bonnie instead of cremation in light of the The Tall Man turning corpses into dwarfs.
September 27, 2014
The BEST film in the franchise!
May 29, 2014
This is probably the best of the bunch. Our heros get strapped and go to war. As always the events of the film are weird and resist analysis. That said there is some great action and world class villain. Angus Scrim really comes into his own here and makes genre movie history, Such a good time.
March 27, 2014
One of the greatest sequels of all time!
March 25, 2014
Love This Horror Franchise!