Phantasm II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phantasm II Reviews

November 19, 2017
Very bad sequel, very poorly directed and written. Sadly by the same Don Coscarelli who made such awesome movies as the first Phantasm or Bubba ho-tep...Hope the other sequels will be better.
November 5, 2017
Equally as enjoyable as the first film. It doesn't have the complete original cast but it is still the balls. Reggie really comes into his own and in turn become sone of horrors most iconic heroes. The Tall Man is still a cunt.
½ June 11, 2017
Phantasm II is a bit different from the original, yet still suffers from bad pacing and direction. I will admit it gives us some great 80's gore moments that are enjoyable, and I didn't find it quite as boring as the first one. It is still fairly mediocre for the horror genre.
May 20, 2017
Easily the best of the series. This is the kind of budget and care this franchise deserved. Ramps up the action, deepens the mythology, replaces the weak link from the original and gives Reggie a bunch of great moments. This movie is a blast, and it's too bad the rest of the series couldn't keep the pace with it.
½ March 17, 2017
I just got finished watching the whole series for the first time. This film wasn't scary for me. However my love for Angus Scrimm grows with every movie. He is an amazing bad guy. I can't wait to see what other movies he has been in.
½ February 19, 2017
Started and ended well, story is good with guys going after tall man. More types of sphere, some stupid funny parts. Ends with them killing him and he comes back, portrays bald dude dead
October 19, 2016
So...the hippy musician and scared little boy are now ultimate guerrilla soldiers who know how to create & use handmade weapons? In what is clearly trying to be the "Aliens" of this franchise, all mystery and fear is removed in what is one of the biggest quality drop-offs of any sequel ever. Readymade for MST3K & almost "so-bad-it's-good", its impedance on the legacy of the original is much too much to forgive.
½ October 16, 2016
Better acting than the first, good effects, enormous leaps in logic ( even for a horror movie )
October 10, 2016
Meanders...but slightly better acting than the first one. Slightly less interesting visuals.
October 9, 2016
The back of the box states: "eclipses the original cult classic with unparalleled thrills, horror and suspense" and i'm not arguing it. The passion for the original isn't there but its an easier story to follow with a tad bit better acting too.
August 28, 2016
I really love this movie Better then the first one
August 7, 2016
Fantastic follow-up to a great horror classic. Even though it doesn't include the kid who was in the original to play his role, it's still entertaining as hell.
July 31, 2016
It's an acquired taste. If you didn't grow up with these movies. Then they probably wouldn't interest you. But if your just looking for a way to kill a Saturday. Give the Phantasm movies a chance. They are kind of cheesy, but sometimes cheesy is good. I love all the Phantasm movies. I hope you will too.
July 29, 2016
A different direction that the first film, but very creepy and fun. Fantastic music which is unforgettable and practical effects that shine. Characters are more fleshed out than the first film, but it is a little slow in places. Still a good sequel to a great movie.
March 28, 2016
This is the best Phantasm movie.
October 24, 2015
A slower, more ponderous, less effective rehash of the original.
October 20, 2015
I might be in the minority when I say that Don Coscarelli's 1979 outing Phantasm was an obscenely overrated relic that has only calcified with age. I shouldn't have been preternaturally excited for the sequel but fortified with Universal Studio's financial upgrade and James LeGros in the lead role now, my expectations were cantilevered into the positive column. After a recap of the previous finale, Phantasm II delivers on the promise of a more fluid, kinetic successor. Reggie's (Reggie Bannister) escape from The Tall Man's (Angus Scrimm) monastic midgets is a dynamite set piece. By now, Phantasm is renowned for two things- Scrimm and the silver balls. And the drilling mutilation via the forehead is more satisfyingly graphic than before and the dental-instrument sound F/X really amplify the cringe factor. A Cuisinart comparison is quite appropriate. The dream logic might be gone but, I for one, haven't missed the masturbatory abstraction of them. Streamlined is better for Coscarelli's splanchnic vision. Reggie and Michael are flamethrower-and-shotgun-touting vigilantes and their makeshift weapons from a hardware store reinforce the notion that Phantasm II is a disparate beast from the former with more action-movie firepower and velocity. Once again the musical theme by Fred Myrow is contagiously creepy. Coscarelli nails the gothic atmosphere of a Hammer film inside velvet-draped corridors and echoing mausoleums. Scrimm is still a towering presence that will induce heart palpitations in spades. The road trip from cemetery to cemetery in pursuit of Liz Reynolds (Paula Irvine), a clairvoyant with an ill-defined connection to Michael (LeGros), is patently incomprehensible. This is very much classified in the style-over-substance subcategory but that is hardly a misstep. The balding Lothario Bannister isn't a polished thespian but his horny shtick is amusing nonetheless ("It gets hard on the road") and his chemistry with LeGros is airtight. Regardless of my antipathy towards the first film, part 2 is a rip-roaring, albeit daffy rollercoaster through Perigord Mortuary. A retread of the original's sequel-bait ending is an anticlimax though.
June 14, 2015
Fraco. Nem perto do que o original foi (chutando o balde das sutilezas), mas dá pra passar o tempo.
½ May 27, 2015
This is bad, even by '80's sequel standards.
April 16, 2015
Really got weird toward the end but up till then not a bad sequel.