Phantasm: OblIVion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Phantasm: OblIVion Reviews

½ May 19, 2018
3.5/5. Phantasm IV returns the series to its roots with a really surreal, confusing film that does not hold your hand at all. I'm still not sure what was going on, but I think I liked it. With a much lower burger, the filmmakers had to get inventive with few sets, and less action pieces, but the practical effects are still awesome and the story is still haunting. It's my least favorite of the first four films, but it's still a good movie.
November 5, 2017
I have no idea what the fuck was going on. Two decades after the first film, Coscarelli cleverly uses unseen footage from the first film to pull on the nostalgia strings. Ridiculous but this franchise has a life in it, yet.
October 11, 2017
Lots of flashbacks and new scenes from earlier footage. Shows tall man origins
June 13, 2017
Well, this one seems to make ever less sense than any of its predecessors did. This movie was just a mess from start to finish. It also seemed rather tame in comparison to the others in the series. This is one movie that you do not need to watch.
½ May 21, 2017
Works to build backstory, as a result it ends up making even more questions than it ultimately answers. It was kind of cool to get the Tall Man origin, and the use of old footage was done creatively, even if it doesn't make a lick of sense. Leaves us with another cliffhanger, but also gives the option of being a fitting and poetic end cap to the series. One that probably should've been left as is.
March 17, 2017
I was excited to hear we would find out about the Tall Man's origin in this movie. I love a good origin story especially about my favorite bad guy of the series, the Tall Man, however I was disappointed with what they gave me. It wasn't much. With still a confusing story line and who is the main character again. All plot blurbs I've seen keep talking about Mike.... when most of the movies revolve around Reggie.
½ November 17, 2016
Looking at Phantasm IV as one would with a general film, separate from the Phantasm series, this is a woefully underwhelming film with a muddled plot, poor pacing and not much actually going on. However, taking into consideration the miniscule budget Phantasm IV had and seeing what was still possible to do with clever use of unused scenes from the original Phantasm, the film instead ends up being a marvel of ingenuity.
It's still not a great film and it feels the weakest in the series so far, but still manages to fit in and actually contribute to the saga.
TL;DR: I you're a fan of the series, watch this one and enjoy the new story elements, if you've never heard of Phantasm, go see the others first and save this one for later.
October 23, 2016
A completely incomprehensible mess of a film.
½ October 16, 2016
Up to this point the series had pretty good continuity. So much for that. A weird departure from the rest of the series. Relied too much on clips from the previous movies.
February 24, 2016
Good entry as we gain knowledge of the origins of The Tall Man. One of the strong points of the series was the consistency of Coscarelli et al rather than the usual throwaway characters in most horror franchises. Adds cut footage shot for the original for added effect. Looks like Jody really did die in that car wreck.
November 3, 2014
A for phans only sequel that will probably be baffling to newbies, hell it's kinda baffling to a phan like me, but in that wonderful phantasm-esc way, theres alot of ideas flying around like so many silver, head drilling balls, ideas which this film hasn't the budget or scope to properly realize, bus as a follower of the concluding/continuing (yes continuing now, there is now an upcoming phantasm 5 out of nowere!) adventures of reggie, mike, jody and the evil tall man and his undersized minions, i found much to love. Also reggie gets back into his ice cream man overalls from the original!! also the way Coscarelli uses extensive deleted scenes from the first movie as flash backs throughout this one is truly fascinating and even a little masterful. A great expanding of the weird, ambitious mythology makes this is many ways as good as the previous three, the more i watch it the more i think so, what you have here will possibly end up being the most fascinating horror saga ever made.
June 4, 2014
As usual...complete madness. The battle between the ice cream man an his cohorts and the tall man seems to reaching it's conclusion. More is revealed and more questions are made relevant. Good stuff
½ March 27, 2014
The epic cliphanger!!
January 2, 2014
Aah a weird climax to the series. Not much to look forward to if your not a camp or cult follower.
½ October 27, 2013
terrible conclusion to what started out as a great series.
July 20, 2013
Wow. I expected some answers, but I received none. Great ending here folks.
July 18, 2013
Not good. Reggie gets in his few laughs but they hardly utilize his character. Also, most of the film is made up of flashbacks of the first film! Pretty boring and still leaves you with more questions than answers.
July 7, 2013
What a weird yet wonderful franchise. Who writes this stuff? What is his secret? What on Earth is going on? This fourth entry may be better or worst than previous installments, but it still manages to have an interesting, despite confusing, story. The Tallman feels different in this story, mostly because we see a lot more of who he was before, which is a great twist in the series. Still the same good characters, great effects, it's pretty much retains everything good from the rest. It would really help though if we knew what was going on though.
½ May 16, 2013
The weakest of this series of films,but still good at the same time!
½ April 9, 2013
Mike, Reggie and company continue to hunt down The Tall Man. This film offers more, including the origin of The Tall Man and a glimps into his world. Phantasm IV is worth renting for full price. (C-)